Light freak

WestSide Cycles closing?

Coworker forwarded this onto me - BICYCLE SHOP Closing Sale 50% OFF!!

What exactly is a Cycling Concept Store? They are even selling the espresso machine and their tools?

rubber side down
    I just called over there to ask if they were selling any of the shop stands. Got serious attitude from whoever it was who answered the phone. No wonder they're closing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by russman View Post
    I just called over there to ask if they were selling any of the shop stands. Got serious attitude from whoever it was who answered the phone. No wonder they're closing.
    No, they're having to close and are pretty upset about it.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

I think I can.

They say "no FF&E"

On the add, does anyone know what that means.

Also if the sale is only from 4pm to 8pm I am guessing their not serious about clearing inventory, think they are trying to stimulate bottom line before something else.

Any thoughts

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Conceptually, this is giant news!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    Conceptually, this is giant news!
    I see what you did there.

The 1st concept store must be doing pretty damned well, eh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEMTBR COLORADO View Post
    On the add, does anyone know what that means.

Also if the sale is only from 4pm to 8pm I am guessing their not serious about clearing inventory, think they are trying to stimulate bottom line before something else.

Any thoughts
    Furniture, Fixtures & Equipment (FF&E)

Chronic 1st-timer
    I heard some scuttlebutt that they were moving the focus to the training center.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

It's time for a road trip
    Dec 2011
    They haven't had much for inventory for a while now. Hopefully whatever else they have planned works well for them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretAgent23skidoo View Post
    They haven't had much for inventory for a while now. Hopefully whatever else they have planned works well for them.
    That's the best comment yet. It isn't easy running a business these days, any business.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

boxcar
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    No, they're having to close and are pretty upset about it.
    Do you know why they "have" to close? I always remembered them being a Giant dealer and assumed that with the arrival of a concept store that it would be a Giant(brand) concept store and change out store front, floor layout, inventory, etc...

They getting forced out? Kinda surprising as that shop has been around for some time.

I just think it's odd that an established shop is completely closing to open a new shop in the same location.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Westside

Westside didn't have to close. The owner wanted out. So he sold it. Another Denver area shop bought the space. If you want to know what is going in there, I would figure out what brands that shop sells.

They were a Giant dealer but Giant pulled their brand because they heard the shop was closing.

They haven't had many bikes for a while, which says to me that the owner has wanted to get out for a while.

The training center is owned and operated separately by an entirely different group of people. So that had nothing to do with the decision.

And that's the scoop.

eci
    Very very interesting... a giant concept store? i guess i will see you guys over there around 5

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Anyone know what inventory looks like?

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretAgent23skidoo View Post
    I agree, i always wanted to like that place, but they had such few bikes on the floor it was hard to see anything.. I had a nice wheel built there once..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Well. Did any of you go?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz View Post
    Very very interesting... a giant concept store?
    Oh I bet Derby Cycles is not going to be happy? But who cares that guy is a Jack @ss anyway !!
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YETI_Chris View Post
    Oh I bet Derby Cycles is not going to be happy? But who cares that guy is a Jack @ss anyway !!
    You hit that nail on the head.
    Not a MTBR legend.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by YETI_Chris View Post
    Guys - there is already ONE Giant "concept" store in the area. This would be the second...

simple
    Quote Originally Posted by PBDOGG View Post
    Westside didn't have to close. The owner wanted out. So he sold it. Another Denver area shop bought the space.
    The answer is right there folks. Gibson wanted to sell it and another shop bought it and will put their name on it.

Not a concept store. Geezus the people who are on this site the most seem to know the least.

I went last night. Got a few things. Sad to see a historic shop close but things change.

mtbr member

odds and ends

i picked up a few things... best deal was probably the 4 bike thule hitch rack listed at $180 for $75.

thought i heard the cashier say that the new owner is from campus cycles? (don't quote me on that). they'll be closed only for a couple of weeks then re-open. doesn't really sound like a full-on concept store though, as there was talk of other brands besides giant.

guess we'll have to wait and see.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    I called over to Westside last night as I was driving through Denver to see if they had anything left and they were very kind and explained that their inventory was minimal and only a XL Specialized Enduro was left. The new shop will open back up in March and indeed Campus Cycles is the new owner.

I'll miss Westside Cycles and they were my go to shop for many years while I lived in Denver.

mtbr member
    Damn, that's a shame. I bought my first ever mountain bike there in 2001. I was pretty faithful to that shop for a long long time. Kyle was the manager and really went out of his way to help me quite a few times. The original owner sold a few years ago, and the shop started going downhill from there. Kyle left a bit over a year ago, and I haven't been back since. I started going to GBS and Salvagetti and always get really great service there. Oh well, that's how the cookie crumbles. We're lucky here in Denver that we have more than a couple of really great shops around.