Dirtmistress

Western Slope vs. Front Range. Little help please

Hi Colorado mtn bikers,
    I hope you are enjoying the weather where you are.
    I wasn't quite sure which Co. forum to put this question in so I'll post it in both.
    I'll be coming to Colorado with some friends some time late July or early August.
    We have access to a Hyatt timeshare. I am not familiar with the mountain biking in the areas the timeshares are located and I was hoping some of you could help me decide which area has the best riding close by or out the door.
    I did a 3 week road trip way back in 2000 and went to places like Crested Butte, Winter Park, Vail, did Monarch Crest and a few other places.We had a great time.
    Our options are Beaver Creek, Breckenridge and Aspen.
    When I look at the atlas, it looks like Beaver Creek is close to Vail and I remember doing some fun rides there. Lost Lake(?) and a few others.
    I've heard good things about Breckenridge and nothing about Aspen.
    We are skilled XC riders and can handle reasonable distances. We are happy with 10 to 25 miles but get cross-eyed at 30 or more.
    No problem driving to areas to ride.
    Thanks for any recommendations!
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She'd clean the whole section,you know that!

skillz to pay billz
    these are all good options.

here's some aspen trails:
    aspen
    government trail
    smuggler mnt
    mushroom rock

mtbr member
    Brek is by far the most centrally located, and home to miles of epic trails. Aspen has just as much top notch trail but is a little more isolated If you want to see more of the state. If you are comming for the whole 3 weeks, any one town could get old. I would goto Brekenridge, ride as much as I could and use the condo as a jump point to get down to Salida to do the Monarch Crest, or over to Vail to do Two Elks. Or if you were in Aspen you could get a room at the hostle in Crested Butte for a couple of nights and ride from Aspen to CB and do more rides In CB before returning to your condo. I don't know much about the riding around Beaver Creek, and just don't care for their "gated community" attitude.

I guess my point is no matter where you choose there will be great riding, with tons of options a short drive away if you are bored after a week in one town.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Breck for sure.