mtbr member
    Sep 2011

West Magnolia Informational Meeting

The Forest Service is hosting a meeting in Nederland tonight on the proposed trail network for West Mag/Dots. In my opinion the proposal is about the best thing that has happened for mountain bikers in the area in decades. If enacted as shown it will almost double (legal) trail miles! Basically they are proposing to dedicate almost every social trail in the area as part of the official system and build a few new sections as well. Send a comment, show up in person.

Nederland Community Center Mon. Aug. 19, 2013 from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m

Forest Service

lucky enough
    groovy!
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    I sooooo wish I could go to the meeting, but have other commitments. Yes, it does look like a good thing to get more trails, but the devil is in the details.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    "but the devil is in the details."

Yep...

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    any reports?

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwhan View Post
    any reports?
    Nothing much new. It wasn't a public meeting format like last time. This one had a few "stations" with different maps and a USFS employee at each station to answer individual questions. No presentation, tie-in or carryover from the one last Fall, just an "ask questions" type of deal.

Not many certain answers at this point either as things are still in the proposal/comment period. Couple take-aways:
    1) There is still a chance that trails listed on the proposal as "no action" could see changes within the existing trail corridor if the current trail doesn't meet USFS design/sustainability criteria.
    2) Get in your comments before the close of the 9/6 public comment period if you want to have any rights to be formally involved or object to items later in the process.

I personally haven't heard much objection to the proposed trail alignments. The rub for most folks seems like it will be the "on the ground" implementation style.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Thanks for the update!

Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    I personally haven't heard much objection to the proposed trail alignments. The rub for most folks seems like it will be the "on the ground" implementation style.
    Yeah, exactly. The issue for me isn't really whether the proposed trails are ok or anything, the issue is whether they will all be built the same way, whether the action will also include overwhelming signage at intersections, etc. It's hard to "object" to a plan when your objections relate to how the plan, once approved, gets put on the ground.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwhan View Post
    It's hard to "object" to a plan when your objections relate to how the plan, once approved, gets put on the ground.
    Agreed.. the key action at this point is to register your written comments now with the USFS... and be detailed about what you'd like to see (e.g. preserving natural character - no meandering folds or buffed out sidewalks, no mini-x, minimal signage, etc, etc.). Under the USFS process this is the only way you can preserve your right to object later if you don't like how it ends up evolving.