Agent of tang
    Aug 2005

West Mag Riders: how do you get high?

Last night, riding up Schoolbus, we came upon two riders coming down. One of the riders repeatedly expressed surprise at someone riding up Schoolbus, he seemed to feel like it was a trail that should be ridden downhill only and was usually/always ridden downhill only (he wasn't mad at us for riding up it, just incredulous).*

Now, I understand the concept, as I have been similarly flummoxed when encountering people riding up the Carwash, a trail I feel makes way more sense as a descent (who knows, maybe that's the trail he rode up, though I have only encountered uphill riders on it a couple of times). But Schoolbus -- for all of its fun as a downhill -- has always seemed like the perfect way to climb trail to get up high; it's not too steep and not too technical, with a little challenge thrown in here or there. While climbing the road may be faster, I (and I know I'm not the only one!) often want to ride trail, not road, and if I'm going to bike up a trail in that area, Schoolbus makes the most sense.

So, West Mag riders, how do you get high?

* If you are the rider in question, please don't take offense to this post. You were courteous, we all yielded appropriately, etc, I just was curious about this, and I neglected to ask you how you did ride up to go down Schoolbus.

lucky enough
    I go every which way including up school bus.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Never ridden the road, I prefer to ride trail when possible.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Schoolbus is the easy way up for sure, but I don't like out and backs, so I use one of the many other ways to get to the top, then come down Schoolbus, that way I'm not getting in the way of anyone's fun decent. There are ways to link other trail and road sections to get up there. I can understand why people ride up Schoolbus, it's a nice easy gradient for climbing, but I think people should avoid climbing it during the busy hours and weekends. Just my $0.02.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by skogorbet View Post
    Schoolbus is the easy way up for sure, but I don't like out and backs, so I use one of the many other ways to get to the top, then come down Schoolbus, that way I'm not getting in the way of anyone's fun decent. There are ways to link other trail and road sections to get up there. I can understand why people ride up Schoolbus, it's a nice easy gradient for climbing, but I think people should avoid climbing it during the busy hours and weekends. Just my $0.02.
    See, this is the part I don't understand. Yes, undoubtedly one could ride road (and if you want to argue people should only ride the road up, I disagree, but that's just one of those agree to disagree things), but if riding trail, why is one of the other trails preferable to Schoolbus (especially if the Bus has the best gradient for climbing). All of the possible trails up are sweet descents, right? So, if riding trail, it makes way more sense to ride up the one that makes for good uphill riding, rather than the ones that don't, when all of the trails are sweet downhills (by no means do I always come down the Bus; in fact, it's probably my least favorite of the 3 easy choices that I usually make).

Of course, Wednesday evening at 7pm is hardly one of the "busy hours" (these 2 riders were 2 of 3 riders we saw on the trails, period).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    For me, and it's all just personal preference, I like to climb the segmented trail sections and descend one continuous singletrack than the other way around. But again, everyone rides different and has different ideas on what makes a great ride, neither way is right or wrong. But I think most people are descending Scoolbus so more traffic and user conflict will occur by climbing it, again just my perspective. Wednesday at 7 is a perfect time to ride, I'm surprised you saw anyone at all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    to answer the question...
    I general approach from the south via fire roads and single track segments, most of which are heinous to climb.

on to the gist of what you are getting at.
    1) I am huge fan of directional trails, official and unofficial. I come from an area where there was an "understanding" between riders that particular trails were to be ridden downhill and others were bi-directional. it was awesome and led to some amazing trail development.
    But that was what worked for that area. the Ned locals will have to decide if that is what they want in their backyard. Personally, I'm all for it.

2) I am an even bigger fan of riding loops and have been known to suffer all sorts of pain and discomfort make a loop out of a ride. my personal mantra "Friends don't let friends ride out and back"

as you can see the two statement are related (but not exclusive)... It is my opinion that a lot of butt hurtyness over yielding would disappear, single track would remain moar single, and trail design/experience would improve tremendously if we riding loops (large and small) in a common direction.

Is that the right thing for School bus? dunno.. there are some moto trails up there that could be pretty easily tuned up to be great DH trails. just depends on the local ethic.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by WilburKookmeyer View Post
    on to the gist of what you are getting at.
    1) I am huge fan of directional trails, official and unofficial. I come from an area where there was an "understanding" between riders that particular trails were to be ridden downhill and others were bi-directional. it was awesome and led to some amazing trail development.
    But that was what worked for that area. the Ned locals will have to decide if that is what they want in their backyard. Personally, I'm all for it.

2) I am an even bigger fan of riding loops and have been known to suffer all sorts of pain and discomfort make a loop out of a ride. my personal mantra "Friends don't let friends ride out and back"

as you can see the two statement are related (but not exclusive)... It is my opinion that a lot of butt hurtyness over yielding would disappear, single track would remain moar single, and trail design/experience would improve tremendously if we riding loops (large and small) in a common direction.

Is that the right thing for School bus? dunno.. there are some moto trails up there that could be pretty easily tuned up to be great DH trails. just depends on the local ethic.
    I agree on point 1, generally speaking. I was just a little surprised that someone considered the Bus as one of those trails that should be directional. Heck, if I was going to call it directional, I'd say make it the designated uphill trail!

I also generally agree on point 2, and often take the road up if time's short. I guess for me, though, if I'm riding all these trails all the time, it makes no difference whether one night I go up and down Schoolbus, or up Schoolbus and down the Carwash, or up the road and down Schoolbus, or up the road and down carwash, or whatever. One is an out and back and the other 3 aren't, but the difference in the big picture is small.

I agree with your overall points, I was just surprised to find that someone thought the implicit understanding that Schoolbus was not an appropriate trail to climb, when amongst my friends it is the most appropriate choice of trail, at least when starting on the northish side of West Mag. So I was curious as to other people's thoughts.