Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    VooDoo user.

West mag Opening soon.

Not that its not open but the trails look like they will be totally clear within a week or two.

Dam its been warm in NED

just a FYI.

i took the wheels home
    if you hadn't said anything, you could probably get in a week or so without as many riders but now that I know I'm looking forward to it. But hey, thanks for info. Yay, bikes!

VooDoo user.
    I still know where to go to avoid any bikers. Not like it gets overrun anyways.

The colder temps the past couple days have slowed the opening.

Stay tuned for more updates. Get out to fruita and Moab in the meantime.

FTF (fat tire fest.) anyone

Outcast
    Moment, have you ventured in and up at west mag, or are you arriving at your conclusion from just looking at the low, flat trails?

VooDoo user.
    Hiking around hobit trail. Hell you can still see snow driving up past sundance.

Hard to say what it may still be like near tennesse mtn hut. Not that it matters bikers aren't allowed in there anymore.
    Last edited by TIMBERRR; 04-20-2006 at 06:14 AM.

Perpetually single track
    Quote Originally Posted by moment
    Hiking around hobit trail.
    Isn't it habitrails? Like the stupid things the hamsters run around in?
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

VooDoo user.
    Could be. Only read it once on one of the new FS maps.
    Last edited by TIMBERRR; 04-19-2006 at 01:01 PM.

Outcast
    Allow me to offer my opinion; the habitrails thaw out very quickly, but it's usually a long time before you can go very far at west mag this early in the season. I have ten years of west mag experience to draw on; it will most likely be mid-late May before everything is open.
    It's not that I don't want to ride there now; I do!

Perpetually single track
    Thankya sir for the esitmation. I'll be up there in midmay enjoying some sweet ned singletrack...
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Errr...don't poach it.

I'm not so sure it's a great idea to encourage folks to poach stuff up here. Trail politics in Boulder County is - at best - tenuous, and people are just looking for excuses to boot mountain bikers from various areas. I know for a fact that the old owner of the local Video Store, who lives off a section of West Mag has threatened to shoot anyone who poaches onto his land. The Tolls are longtime residents of the area (guess where the name Tolland came from) and to encourage mountain bikers to poach onto THEIR land is the heights of irresponsibility. What if it were your land, and we told folks to poach it? It's a good way to make someone a big opponent to mountain bikers at the next town meeting. There are a lot of potential trail plans on the charts - thanks to the work of town council member and passionate cyclist Vicki Sama – so let's not F-it-up now.

Renegade is right - sections of Habit Trail take ions to dry out, and telling folks to ride it before it's ready is looking for trouble. It's a long season - let's let it run its course naturally.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by moment
    COugh cough poachit cough!!!! Just kiddin.
    Moment, this is the second time you have "just kiddingly" suggested an act that would have serious repercusions to the local mtb community. The first was building trails/stunts on national forest land. I get the feeling that you aren't kidding about either of them. One thing I have absolutely no tolerance for is one person fvcking things up for everyone else.

mtbr member

Ban Tyler Hamilton From West Mag

You know what else pisses me off. So I was enjoying my Saturday in Ned, and just got done buying some sweet ass crystals at the rock store and taking a yoga class at the Good Karma Center when lo and behold who the hell should ride through town but Tyler ****ing Hamilton. Look, I don't know about you, but I don't want to share my trails with a convicted doper. Dopers Suck! First it's the god damned Full Cycle punks, then the masses caused by the MTBR message boards and now this guy. Look, Nederland already has a serious drug problem, and the last thing we need is for Tyler Hamilton to try and smuggle in more dope - aka Hashish, aka Cheeba, Marijuana cigarettes into our community. If the UCI doesn't want him for pretending to be Snoop Dogg living in Jamaica, than dammit neither do we. I say we barricade Boulder Canyon, and the north and south entrances of the Peak to Peak Highway. We'll need to set up patrol on Magnolia as well, and I'll be damned if he tries to enter Nederland via the Rainbow Lakes back route. That won't be stood for. There's the off chance he could try the west route over Rollins Pass road, so we'll need to have patrols there too. Finally, if he has the gall to poach Caribou Ranch and enter Nederland that way, there will be ham sliced hell to pay.
    Last edited by Pluto Pilot; 04-19-2006 at 06:03 PM.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pluto Pilot
    You know what else pisses me off............, there will be ham sliced hell to pay.
    Heh. Funniest thing I've read here in a while.

I don't get up that way to ride much, as I tend to stay more north, but.....

It's always nice when I do; much thanks to those who've made *all* the trails up there possible. Figure I'll be hitting them a bit more this year; thankfully on weekdays when things are less likely to be busy/crowded/hectic, and I can take long days to explore areas I've not ridden yet.

Be respectul of property rights, and if someone shows you something private stash wise, keep it out of the spotlight. And thank them. Seems like a good rule for riding anywhere.

No comments on legit or non-legit trails, since I have ridden a fair bit of stuff here and there of questionable legality, but stunt building seems like going a bit too far over the line when it comes to building on land that isn't owned by you and yours. And I even like riding that kinda' stuff!

Meh, I'm babbling here.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

i took the wheels home
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Saw 666
    There are a lot of potential trail plans on the charts - thanks to the work of town council member and passionate cyclist Vicki Sama so let's not F-it-up now.
    Do you know who is replacing Vicki on the council? I had her as an instructor at CU a while back and heard that she was headed to Brazil for a while and when she returns she's headed to California. Hope its another passionate NIMBY rider that won't be afraid to ride up to motos and give them the boot like I've seen Vicki do.

trail waggler

Yup, Ned is the ONLY place to ride...

'Twas pretty cool when we moved there in '88, but I'm glad that I'm up in the 'North country (county) now. Miss those $8/mo. party line, 10 cent calls from town, though.

And if you're going to promote irresponsible trail use, please don't do it on MTBR, maybe try anarchy.org

Oh, and watch out for that guy on the orange singlespeed

VooDoo user.
    I edited my above post. Sorry all. It was a joke. I'm pretty much the last person to duck a wire or rope when signs and other things are on the line.
    As far as a earlier thread about trail building well that was just to gain information and public perspective. You don't have to worry about me building anything. Hopefully it shed light on other people who may be the irresponsible ones.

VooDoo user.
    Renegade is right - sections of Habit Trail take ions to dry out, and telling folks to ride it before it's ready is looking for trouble. It's a long season - let's let it run its course naturally.[/QUOTE]

Exactly at what point do I tell people to ride the trail before its dried out???

And again I appologise for the now edited comment.

Don't even want to type the word. Taboo ya know.

Outcast
    Wow, Plutopilot, may I suggest that you and Dave Kingsbury become the Ned area trail police? You can declare who rides where and who doesn't! Between your vision and his hot-headedness, you will be a formidable team.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    ahhhh springtime on the mtbr frontrange board a less than stellar snow year so things are firing up a bit early with a somewhat new cast of characters - it's good to see pluto pilot and renegade have survived the winter, but where oh where are debaser and dreamforest? this thread won't become legit until someone is giving up directions across private property because he talked to a guy down the road and he said it was cool to do whatever on his neighbors property...until there are threats of bodily harm...until someone calls a boa advocate fat...come on folks i've only seen the term nimby used once and it seemed somewhat positive...and renegade why post someones full name on the forum? i'm pretty sure it would be much better form to refer to him as kingnimby instead...perhaps we post your address and run people through your driveway to access the sweet trails just north of your house - if they get busted on private property they can just say "rennie said it was a ok"...and doper hamilton...if he wants to hang in the woods and take out flatlanders and drain their blood to prepare for his return to sanctioned racing in september - then maybe we should make him chief of trail police - anything to keep the flatlanders down low even if we have to associate with a convicted doper

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by soulslide
    ..and renegade why post someones full name on the forum? i'm pretty sure it would be much better form to refer to him as kingnimby instead...
    Actually, his MTBR name is nednimby, and he only chose to register here last year after a while of lurking to pick a fight with dream4est, only after mistaking me for him and sending me threatening p.m.'s. I don't care much for nednimby's temper, or his tactics. I don't post directions to those trails you're refering to, nor did I in the thread you are refering to from last year. Do I know you? p.m. me if you have a beef with me.

mtbr member

Yeah, ban him

Clearly you saw that I was kidding right?

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Wow, Plutopilot, may I suggest that you and Dave Kingsbury become the Ned area trail police? You can declare who rides where and who doesn't! Between your vision and his hot-headedness, you will be a formidable team.

mtbr member

Freaking Flatlanders

FlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlander FlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlander FlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlander FlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlander FlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlander FlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlander FlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlander FlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlander FlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlander FlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlander FlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlander FlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlander FlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlander FlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlander FlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlander FlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlander FlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlander FlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlanderFlatlander

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pluto Pilot
    Clearly you saw that I was kidding right?
    Plutopilot, I did gather that you were being humorous, in your way. We've never met, I've been to your website, and have a little idea of your flavor so to speak. Which, of course, I may be totally wrong on. The internet is such a masquerade. I'm a little bit disturbed at soulslides post; he seems to have the advantage that he knows me, knows where I live, yet hasn't shared the same information with me. Whatever. I'm a little bit perturbed about a nimby attitude amoungst fellow bikers though, and that's what sets me off. Truely there are places that the average "flatlander" as you call them won't ever find, like we locals find, but if there is truely a nimby attitude towards the commonly known trails...well, I just don't share that.

trail waggler

I hear 'ya...

Misunderstandings are easy to come by on the 'net.

I sure hope that I make it over to do Rollins pass this summer, hit it three years in a row, but not for the last two...those trestles are cool. I took a 'shortcut' over Rollins Pass from Monarch lake with my very pregnant wife in a '78 Subaru 17 years ago, took an anxious extra '2 hours'

mtbmike
    I rode West Mag today.... Drifts were more like a feature than annoyance. And the trails are dry unless you were right next to a snowbank. Only one place on Hobbit II required post-holing to get through 20 paces of snowbank. Several trees across the trail from the windy weather.... Deadfall detail will get them next week. No info on the School Bus Trail, I didn't go there.

Pray for rain; we are looking at a very smoky summer without it.
    mtbmike
    Longmont Colorado

The world is run by those that show up....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast