Lord Thigh Master
    Jul 2012

West Elk Bicycle Classic Gran Fondo

Tired of events that are too easy or are on roads that are just too loaded with cars? Check out the West Elk Bicycle Classic Gran Fondo. 110 miles of killer riding with another 20 miles of steep hard packed dirt thrown in for good measure. It won't be easy but it will be AWESOME.

The West Elk Bicycle Classic gran fondo (timed tour) to benefit Western State Colorado University Cycling (formerly Western State College) in Gunnison Colorado September 2. The gran fondo is a challenging ride that will benefit Western State Cycling and will be challenging to even expert riders. It will leave Gunnison on Hwy 50 to Blue Mesa dam then turn on the north rim of the Black Canyon to Crawford, Paonia, and finally a 4800’ climb on hard packed dirt over Kebler pass to the finish in downtown Crested Butte. Riders will be timed to the top of Kebler with a neutral coast to town. The ride is 130 miles with an option to start at the dam for a 100 mi ride. We will have lunch/supper provided by Donita’s Cantina, beer from New Belgium and coffee from Camp 4 coffee at the finish. We also will give riders a water bottle and T-shirt.

Dave Wiens, Mountain bike hall of famer, Leadville 100 champion, new director of the mountain sports teams at the university and all round good guy will also be participating in the event if you want to chat with him on the ride or afterward.

Please see our website or like us on Facebook for more information and pass this along!
    western.edu/westelkbicycleclassic
    facebook.com/westelkbc

Lord Thigh Master
    Jul 2012

White and nerdy
    May 2012
    Will there be a shuttle back to gunnison after, or from CB to the start the morning of?

Lord Thigh Master
    Jul 2012
    When you sign up at https://www.bikereg.com/Net/15743 check the box that you need a ride and donate a few bucks for us to cover gas etc. and we can get you back to Gunnison after the festivities in Crested Butte in a van.

There is a free bus that can take a few bikes leaving at 5:20pm for Gunnison. Nothing early enough for CB to Gunni RTA - Gunnison Valley Rural Transportaion Authority

Also if you are looking for a ride into or out of the valley you can post it at KBUT radio and probably have good luck. We are a friendly place....

Let us know how this works. Thanks!
    Jarral Ryter
    Somewhere near Gunnison CO.

"When I have the to urge to lay down, I ride my bike until the urge goes away."

White and nerdy
    May 2012
    Thanks for the reply. Not sure if i'll make it this year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    This promises to be a very good bike ride. Challenging, too. Get out a map and see the backroads that this route plys. Which bike will you ride?

lucky enough
    Sounds like an excellent ride.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

Lord Thigh Master
    Jul 2012
    Wow time is flying by and the weather in Gunnison/Crested Butte has been so nice! But just a reminder that you should sign up now so you can get a T-shirt and all the other goodies.
    Jarral Ryter
    Somewhere near Gunnison CO.

"When I have the to urge to lay down, I ride my bike until the urge goes away."