lone rider

This weeks ride in Clear Creek a three hour tour……..(lotsa worthless pixels)

More southern exposure. More old mining roads. A little sweet singletrack. A new route. I have ridden all these places just not in this order. This one might stay open all winter. There was some snow up top. A good dump might make the final 1/2 mile to the top pretty tough. tracks and stats

two of my favorite lines

on to Red Elephant

if you look hard you can see the road coming down from the saddle

Smile you're on candid camera!Conveniently placed NO TRESPASSING signs make it appear that you are trespassing and on private property. This route is shown in the Clear Creek Master Plan as an existing trail.

this weeks ice flow

had to deploy new strategy to get up the ice flow. Threw down some dirt

a view

on down

bashing through the snow

nice tread

mtbr member
    Excellent report, thanks!

not actually bad :)
    Yessssssssss!
    Nice one.
    Old Codger

Awwzumm!

Yappy little dog!
    Once again a great ride and pics. I just need to get the motivation to get out. I'm tired of bike paths.

Big Boned
    YOU FOOL!!! YOU'RE GIVING AWAY ALL THE SECRET TRAILS!!!!!!

hehe. Hey Brian -- do you know if that trail that spurs off the road up Red Elephant at Boulder Nest and leads up to North Empire/High Meadow via Miller Creek still exists, and whether it's rideable? It's on the map, and I've found part of it off the top of Mill Creek, but the trail sort of vanished after a while. I looked for the bottom of it once in hidden valley, but I ran into a bunch of no trespassing signs...
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

lone rider

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    YOU FOOL!!! YOU'RE GIVING AWAY ALL THE SECRET TRAILS!!!!!!

hehe. Hey Brian -- do you know if that trail that spurs off the road up Red Elephant at Boulder Nest and leads up to North Empire/High Meadow via Miller Creek still exists, and whether it's rideable? It's on the map, and I've found part of it off the top of Mill Creek, but the trail sort of vanished after a while. I looked for the bottom of it once in hidden valley, but I ran into a bunch of no trespassing signs...
    I'm lookin
    There are several trails up there that are on the map but I have never been able to find them. Now that they are on the Master Plan as existing trails I plan on finding them. I have GPS ability now and I will try again to locate and map these trails.Screw all those people that think they own the whole mountain and put up no trespassing signs all over the place! Maybe they should have thought about other people using the road when they bought the property!
    The one I''m looking for now takes off from the bottom of that ice flow and runs over to Mill Creek just above Wild Wagoner. Never been able to find that one either. An you're right it probably comes out in someones yard. .

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by big galoot

The one I''m looking for now takes off from the bottom of that ice flow and runs over to Mill Creek just above Wild Wagoner. Never been able to find that one either. An you're right it probably comes out in someones yard. .
    If you're talking about those yellow arrows on the map you posted, I know where that starts -- that's the one I was talking about. It either trails off into nothing from disuse, or I missed a turn, but I couldn't find where it went. I climbed maybe a mile and a half, maybe less, before losing it. The ride back down to Mill Creek was sweet. I've also snowshoed up it. But the base of that one is way above wagoner. It starts in Mill Creek Park, near the end of the road. Looks like it should hook up with the trail down to hidden valley and to North Empire, which would be excellent. Probably just needs a good trim, I bet it's up there.

lone rider
    If you're talking about those yellow arrows on the map you posted, I know where that starts -- that's the one I was talking about. It either trails off into nothing from disuse, or I missed a turn, but I couldn't find where it went. I climbed maybe a mile and a half, maybe less, before losing it. The ride back down to Mill Creek was sweet. I've also snowshoed up it. But the base of that one is way above wagoner. It starts in Mill Creek Park, near the end of the road. Looks like it should hook up with the trail down to hidden valley and to North Empire, which would be excellent. Probably just needs a good trim, I bet it's up there.
    the other yellow arrows pointing to the pack trail

that should lead to just above Downnieville (?) and over to Mill Creek. That would be your way back to Mill Creek.

Big Boned
    Didn't see those lower arrows. Very interesting. I've seen that pack trail, or at least the road / driveway leading to it, from the top of that one trail that drops off Wagoner and comes out on Mill Creek. I figured that was private property up there.

lone rider

So just thought you’d like to know……..

Went for a hike today to search for that elusive connector trail to Mill Creek. When something starts bugging me I have to figure it out. Now I’m even more curious and it’s really buggin me! I think it might be doable with a little work. Just need to figure out where it ties in on the Red Elephant side. This would open up many more possibilities for rides.
    Red is where I hiked and yellow is where the trail should be

MORE POSSIBILITIES

All things were going well until the trail disappeared into the hillside! Oh well I’m closer than I was. All I need to figure out is the last 1/3 mile. Hopefully the trail will be obvious from the other side. Now we'll have to find that upper trail.

not actually bad :)
    Brian, you are the man.
    Saw you at Loveland a couple weeks ago but a girl had just spilled her hot chocolate on me so I didn't get to say hi!
    Old Codger

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Awesome to see that stuff gettin some winter riding. Looks like Spring Creek and Silver Creek may be open?

lone rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Awesome to see that stuff gettin some winter riding. Looks like Spring Creek and Silver Creek may be open?
    Doubt it there is still some snow in the trees. You never know I was able to ride Silver Creek last Feb. Spring Gulch to Golden Gleen or Black Eagle might be a ride. I try to stay on the south facing slopes of Clear Creek in the winter.

Big Boned
    Hey Brian -- that one shot with the ruined shack and the hillside where you wrote "trail" -- is that looking back northeast across Mill Creek from the pack trail? The "trail" in the distance is the old road up from Mill Creek to Wagoner, right?

We definitely need to connect all that stuff.
    Last edited by Manmountain Dense; 02-05-2010 at 12:36 PM.

lone rider
    I thought that was your house. hehe
    Hey Brian -- that one shot with the ruined shack and the hillside where you wrote "trail" -- is that looking back northeast across Mill Creek from the pack trail? The "trail" in the distance is the old road up from Mill Creek to Wagoner, right?
    yea
    We definitely need to connect all that stuff.
    It's a stretch but it should be doable.

Big Boned
    Yeah, maybe not a loop, but there has to be some way to use what's up there. It would be great if there was a dirt route from hidden valley all the way up to the top of Wagoner. Or down the other way from the top of Wagoner. That would be sweet.

lone rider

Smile

My curiosity might be taken care of for now. I haven’t pushed up Red Elephant for about 15 years Now I’ve done it twice in 2 weeks. I won’t lie to you it is a push for about a mile. Probably why I haven’t been back for so long.. But now that these routes are on the Master Plan I had to check it out. Still think it’s better ridden down from North Empire. I will continue to explore the southern exposure. It would be sweet to have a route from the old dump in Empire to Mill Creek. It’s just nice to be able to get out in the winter.
    http://connect.garmin.com/explore?owner=b-line I like it

A western approach

The pack trail is just above the cliff sweet !

Looking towards Mill Creek
    FYI MD I hear the people on the ridge aren’t too friendly. I know someone that lives just off Mill Creek on the road. She told me to be careful and said” they’ve pulled guns on people and **** . We can‘t even go up there.”

The way down from North Empire

Goodbye Red Elephant for now

Big Boned
    Nice work bro!

Quote Originally Posted by big galoot
    FYI MD I hear the people on the ridge aren’t too friendly. I know someone that lives just off Mill Creek on the road. She told me to be careful and said” they’ve pulled guns on people and **** . We can‘t even go up there.”
    I've heard the same thing. But with jerks like me for neighbors, I can't say I blame them.