Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Weekend Rides?

2K views 37 replies 7 participants last post by  mtn hack 
#1 ·
Talking with a couple of guys after the Backbone Advocacy meeting last night, there was mention of maybe some weekend rides popping up (possible Horsetooth?).

I'm looking to do some riding this weekend, weather looks great, so if you don't ming hearing a flatlander breathing like Darth Vader in this thin air let me know. I had been planning on just doing Hall Ranch (closest to my house) but I'm up for about anything. Just wanting to get some much needed riding in after two months of traveling and moving.

Anyone game?

And Squeaky - I want to know how that PUSHed Talas works out. I've been thinking about trying to pick up a used Vanilla and get it PUSHed.

#2 ·
Jdub said:
Talking with a couple of guys after the Backbone Advocacy meeting last night, there was mention of maybe some weekend rides popping up (possible Horsetooth?).

I'm looking to do some riding this weekend, weather looks great, so if you don't ming hearing a flatlander breathing like Darth Vader in this thin air let me know. I had been planning on just doing Hall Ranch (closest to my house) but I'm up for about anything. Just wanting to get some much needed riding in after two months of traveling and moving.

Anyone game?

And Squeaky - I want to know how that PUSHed Talas works out. I've been thinking about trying to pick up a used Vanilla and get it PUSHed.
I would be up for a ride. What are you feeling like doing more. I live in Fort Collins, but I have done both Halls Ranch and Horsetooth, like them both. How is your climbing capacity? To get to any trail heads in Horsetooth, it is going to require some decent climbing. I don't mind riding slower or waiting up, not that I am in just INCREDIBLE shape or anything. :)

#3 ·
Jdub said:

Anyone game?

Hey J, (I was one of the guys you talked to last night) I will hook up with you. However, I guess where we go is kind of up to you. If you want to try out horsetooth, you will be in for some climbing. Pretty much all of the trails require a good amount of climbing to get to or out of. I would be willing to meet at a**Hall's ranch also, but trail traffic is something to consider there. It's kind of up to you. If there is anyone else that wants to check out horsestooth, now would be the time to speak up.

#4 ·
Hall's is pretty cool but as crowded as I-70 on a January Sunday afternoon after a 2 foot snowstorm.
Time is gonna be tight for me this weekend & I may only have time for a few spins on the Bone. Everything else requires a bit too much drive time for me.

The "short" loop on Crosier is a possiblity.

My TALAS is due to arrive at Mtn High today & I'll be sure to post. Should be schweeet.

#5 ·
Biff n Bonk said:
I would be up for a ride. What are you feeling like doing more. I live in Fort Collins, but I have done both Halls Ranch and Horsetooth, like them both. How is your climbing capacity? To get to any trail heads in Horsetooth, it is going to require some decent climbing. I don't mind riding slower or waiting up, not that I am in just INCREDIBLE shape or anything. :)
My climbing capacity remains to be seen. I moved from Oklahoma, where there isn't sustainable elevation changes (reuse the same 400ft over and over). I've barely gotten a chance to ride since I got moved out here so I'm not sure. I can assure you that you'll waiting on me out here if we go ride, but I'll do my best to keep up.

#6 ·
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Hall's is pretty cool but as crowded as I-70 on a January Sunday afternoon after a 2 foot snowstorm.
Time is gonna be tight for me this weekend & I may only have time for a few spins on the Bone. Everything else requires a bit too much drive time for me.

The "short" loop on Crosier is a possiblity.

My TALAS is due to arrive at Mtn High today & I'll be sure to post. Should be schweeet.
I have never been on Crosier, so I don't even know where it is. However, HTMP(horsetooth mtn park) is 10-15 minute drive max from devil's backbone. Just fyi.

#7 ·
Jdub said:
My climbing capacity remains to be seen. I moved from Oklahoma, where there isn't sustainable elevation changes (reuse the same 400ft over and over). I've barely gotten a chance to ride since I got moved out here so I'm not sure. I can assure you that you'll waiting on me out here if we go ride, but I'll do my best to keep up.
So what which ride are you leaning towards? Halls Ranch can get crowded, but if we are out there early enough we would beat the crowds. Horsetooth on the other hand, we will be lucky if we see anyone on the back trails. I'm in no hurry, so you can ride what ever your pace is.

#8 · (Edited)
Biff n Bonk said:
So what which ride are you leaning towards? Halls Ranch can get crowded, but if we are out there early enough we would beat the crowds. Horsetooth on the other hand, we will be lucky if we see anyone on the back trails. I'm in no hurry, so you can ride what ever your pace is.
I had planned on riding Halls, but now I'm leaning towards not riding there. I was thinking of either riding Devil's Backbone or checking out Horsetooth. I haven't ridden either of them. Basically I can anywhere to ride and be riding somewhere new (except the few things right around Boulder).

What's the climbing like on DB compared to Horsetooth? If its less, than lets just hit that.

#9 ·
Yeah, I know where it is, just haven't ridden there yet. Crosier is about 10 miles up Thompson canyon just past Glen Haven. Big climb. Awesome DH. The lower loop is moderate on the technical scale, the upper loop is super tech and requires almost 2 hrs of sustained climbing to get there.
I could possibly do Horsie's if it's an early start. Say 8 am or so.

#10 ·
Too sum it all up....

I have never done Crosier either, and wouldn't mind eventually doing it as well. I would be up for it. I wouldn't mind get an early start too. I guess we should decide on what time we all can get going. The down side for Horsetooth is that it does cost to get in, $6. I have a park pass, and I can ride in with 3 other people or bring in a car with people. But then we have to think of where do we park and ride from if we ride in, and I can only carry at the most 3 bikes on my car. So some people may have to pay. I have never had a problem with Halls Ranch myself with crowds, and if we are getting an early start, we woulf certainly be beating them. SOOOOOO what does this all mean????

1) What time can everyone ride at,
2) How longcan you ride (you can spend all day in Horsetooth, and then you could drop into Lory and ride some more)
3) and are you apposed to paying to get into Horestooth.

I

#13 ·
Biff n Bonk said:
1) What time can everyone ride at,
2) How longcan you ride (you can spend all day in Horsetooth, and then you could drop into Lory and ride some more)
3) and are you apposed to paying to get into Horestooth.

I
1. 8 - 9 start time is probably good with me too.
2. I'm free all day, my legs probably only have a good 2 - 3 hours in them
3. Fine with me

#15 ·
1. 8 am.
2. in-laws in town so need to be back early so i can be social (although I'd love to be gone all day).
3. don't mind paying but it sounds like you guys want to ride longer than I am able to, so I'm gonna spin on the Bone. Y'all are welcome to join me ifyou like. The crowds are light early & at sunset.

Crosier is kick-ass and I imagine it will only be rideable for a few more weeks. It's pretty high up.

#16 ·
Biff n Bonk said:
Then maybe we will shoot for riding Horsetooth Saturday morning. I know Hack is up for it. We'll have to hit Crosier with Squeaky for sure sometime.
Well, I've evaluated my climbing ability up here and it pretty much sucks. Did a couple laps around Betasso (very minor climbing) and was breathing hard and hurting. Probably a good idea for me to do some rides by myself till I get used to the altitude. I know it sucks to wait on the slow guy, just not used to being the slow guy.

If Horsetooth is a significant climb to get into, I think that is probably a bad choice for my poor flatlander lungs so I may just do some easy rides around here.

#17 ·
Jdub said:
Well, I've evaluated my climbing ability up here and it pretty much sucks. Did a couple laps around Betasso (very minor climbing) and was breathing hard and hurting. Probably a good idea for me to do some rides by myself till I get used to the altitude. I know it sucks to wait on the slow guy, just not used to being the slow guy.

If Horsetooth is a significant climb to get into, I think that is probably a bad choice for my poor flatlander lungs so I may just do some easy rides around here.
Well, d-backbone is about as flat as you can get. If you do want to ride something new, we would be willing to hook up with you there. However, 8am is a bit early. 9 would be better especially if you are going to drive up. The bone is about 5 minutes past mcgraff's on the other side of the highway (34, aka eisenhower). So I am guessing we would miss squeak @ 9am. If the sun is out, it will be about 5-10 degrees warmer by 9am.
If you don't want to drive up that is cool. I rode last night for only the 3rd time in just over 2 weeks and I have really dropped off. Damn bike issues are killing my conditioning. Really widh I didn't have to wait in the new turner.

#18 ·
mtn hack said:
Well, d-backbone is about as flat as you can get. If you do want to ride something new, we would be willing to hook up with you there. However, 8am is a bit early. 9 would be better especially if you are going to drive up. The bone is about 5 minutes past mcgraff's on the other side of the highway (34, aka eisenhower). So I am guessing we would miss squeak @ 9am. If the sun is out, it will be about 5-10 degrees warmer by 9am.
If you don't want to drive up that is cool. I rode last night for only the 3rd time in just over 2 weeks and I have really dropped off. Damn bike issues are killing my conditioning. Really widh I didn't have to wait in the new turner.
I could do DB no problem. 9 is probably better for me as I've had a long week and some sleep would be a good thing for me. I'll be slow but if you don't mind showing a newbie around I'm game.

#19 ·
mtn hack said:
Well, d-backbone is about as flat as you can get.
Gotta disagree with you there.
It isn't a 2 hr climb like Crosier, but it ain't flat. Especially for someone who just moved out from the plains. The first 3 miles is pretty flat with a few rollers. Then there's a pretty sustained climb for 10 minutes. The remainder of the ride is a series of techy up/downs with lots of places to get hurt on the sandstone and one or two moderate length climbs.

I've made the mistake of taken a few flatlanders on the bone for their initial CO ride and they got eaten alive. I'm not saying it's uber-tech, but it ain't flat and it ain't for those without some technical skills.

Just want you to know what you're getting into.

FWIW, Larry & I are hitting it tonight somewhere around 5 pm.

#20 · (Edited)
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Gotta disagree with you there.
It isn't a 2 hr climb like Crosier, but it ain't flat. Especially for someone who just moved out from the plains. The first 3 miles is pretty flat with a few rollers. Then there's a pretty sustained climb for 10 minutes. The remainder of the ride is a series of techy up/downs with lots of places to get hurt on the sandstone and one or two moderate length climbs.

I've made the mistake of taken a few flatlanders on the bone for their initial CO ride and they got eaten alive. I'm not saying it's uber-tech, but it ain't flat and it ain't for those without some technical skills.

Just want you to know what you're getting into.

FWIW, Larry & I are hitting it tonight somewhere around 5 pm.
It is best he know what he is getting into. I was comparing it to places like horsetooth where you start out climbing for about 20-30 min. on the main service road. Or try 45-55 min up the middle service road, which is STEEP in at least 3 spots that each increase elevation by about 100-200 feet. How much elevation change do you suppose that climb on the bone is? My guess is no more than 100 feet. The main service road at horsetooth rises 320 feet and the middle service road goes up 680 feet. And then you always have to climb back out if you ride toward the valley(s).
Is there anything more flat than dbone? Coyote ridge is pretty similar, and so is maxwell/shoreline. Just asking, not doggin the bone.

#21 ·
No argument there. I agree that the Bone isn't steep in terms of total elevation gain. What it does have is one or two sustained climbs & a lot of quick up & down hits that are littered with rocks & drops.
Yeah, Coyote is similar in terms of elevation but far, far less tehnical. My friend can take his 8 year old son up Coyote. It's real smooth.

#23 ·
goldenboy said:
I've been watching this thread, waiting for the final decision on time and place because I'd like to tag along if poss, never ridden there and would like some pointers if you don't mind one more
I would like to go at 9am and don't care how many others hit it. I think biff will be there too, but haven't talked to him today. He was planning on horsetooth, but I don't think he would mind doing the bone. If he wants to add ride time, he could head up to ht from there... You watching biff? If jdub bails and squeek cant go at 9, then I guess I will re-evaluate.

#24 ·
mtn hack said:
If jdub bails and squeek cant go at 9, then I guess I will re-evaluate.
I plan on riding at DB tomorrow morning around 9am. I'm used to technical rocky trails, just not sustained climbing and/or altitude. If I'm too slow for you guys, I'll just do a lap on my own, I understand not wanting to wait around all the time.

#26 ·
Yeah the weather blows. Place: Devil's Backbone. From northbound I-25 take us-34 west (not sure the exit # but it is one of the Loveland exits). Stay on it through town, past 287 and taft. You will eventually run into it on the right hand side of the road. Just keep your eyes open for signs. If you get to wild lane or glade road you have just missed it. (FYI Mtn High Cyclery is on the side of 34 by glade road) If you get to 56 or carter lake road you are even further off. I may park down the road from the trailhead and ride in just to get a bit of warmup. Any questions...?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.