Ridin' many miles...

Wednesday Evening Deer Creek Ride Report

I managed to get tires on trail by 5:20 last night but due to trailhead confusion I started the ride without my expected riding buddies. They started at the lower lot off of Deer Creek and the Lockheed Martin turn of (I guess). I was on my way down after my second lap when I met them coming up and decided to go back up and ride another lap with them. Never did see Sandan or GotDirt.

I rode up the main trail and did three laps (clockwise) around Red Mesa loop before blasting back down. There were very few people when I started but by the end of the third lap there were quite a few people on the trail heading both up and down. The temperature was perfectly cool up top in the shade, and I was having so much fun ripping down the Red Mesa backstretch, I wanted to keep doing laps. The trail is awesome traction wise but "The Wall" is wicked as usual. Didn't ride Plymouth Mt. Trail on the way down since I spent so much time up top.

Unlike on Tuesday's 6:AM Dakota Ridge ride, it was nice to be able to tailgate party for a bit afterwards. I met some guys with plenty of Blue Moon and patio chairs to ralax in.

The temperature is supposed to push 100 by the weekend. Anyone up for a nice early morning ride (at altitude and/or in the shade) somewhere?

--
    Ed
    Last edited by EdZilla; 07-13-2006 at 09:09 AM.
    Ride dangerously. Take chances.

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well wish i would've ridden w/ you...

i got a late start out of boulder, so decided it would be more fun to ride solo and wreck my bike:
    NEW! break-away bar ends!

i'll take a rain check once i get a new bar (and my wrist heals)...
    i've never actually ridden DC and am now really interested after reading a thread on here about a "wall of shame"?!
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Ridin' many miles...
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    i got a late start out of boulder, so decided it would be more fun to ride solo and wreck my bike:

i've never actually ridden DC and am now really interested after reading a thread on here about a "wall of shame"?!
    Boulder is a long trip to take sometimes, so it's understood. Let me know when you want to check it out. It's one of my favorite rides and close(ish) to my house in Denver.

That's a nasty handlbar incident. I saw the pic, but didn't read the thread. Did it break when the bike hit or did it break due to the force of your arm pushing down on a descent or something?

I was riding down with a buddy on White Ranch's Mustang or Maveric (I forget the name) but it's the one that's closed now for trail rejuvenation. It had a fairly tricky rocky section that while he was riding down the bar (easton carbon) snapped and sent him face first over his bike onto the rocks hard. It was the day he forgot his gloves too, so his hands were hamburger.

I'll have to check the thread to find out what the verdict is on carbon handlebars.
    Ride dangerously. Take chances.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by EdZilla
    Never did see Sandan or GotDirt.

The temperature is supposed to push 100 by the weekend. Anyone up for a nice early morning ride (at altitude and/or in the shade) somewhere?

--
    Ed
    I ended up riding Maxwell Falls w/ Team Evergreen.
    Early, but not insanely, morning could work. Post an idea or a PM is cool.
    I have one firm belief about the American political system, God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat P.J. O'Rourke

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

yes, the WOS

Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt

The WOS is a challenge for you. Clean it (after climbing from the parking lot without stopping) all the way to the top and...you get a cookie!