Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!

Wed 4/27/11 Springs Night Ride

It looks like it's Canyon weather this week!

Option 1:
    We park at the usual Chutes lot off of Cheyenne and Ridgeway and ride usual Statton/Buckhorn/Jacks/Stratton.

Option 2:
    We park at the Cap'n Jacks trailhead (where Gold Camp is closed to cars) and ride up Buckhorn to 666, down 666, up High Drive, and then down lower Jacks and back up Gold Camp to the cars.

Option 3:
    Open to other suggestions.

Do we want to continue the 6:30 meeting time now that it's lighter later, or do we want to move things up? I could do as early as 4:30, but we could also do 5:30 or 6:00 to get a little more ride time in.

Team Inflexible
    Option 2 sounds good but will suggest another variation that could sound confusing.

Start at the lower High Drive Parking lot so we can climb High Drive with fresh legs. Cut out the Buckhorn Climb and do the push up to the top of the Jacks Overlook, ride across the top of Buckhorn to the Bear Creek/666 Intersection. Down 666, down High Drive for a bit. Hit the Palmer trail and do Palmer/Sect 16 and finish with Stephanies??

I could start earlier but the earliest I could probably be at any given trail head would be 5:30

I think I can.

How about a re-do

Last weeks ride that I missed, you know, that ride!

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEMTBR COLORADO
    Last weeks ride that I missed, you know, that ride!
    There are no do overs! You'll just have to wait until it comes up in the rotation again .

Jay, my only fear with your suggestion is that it is a lot of pushing to get from the High Drive saddle to a rideable part of Buckhorn. I have another option if we wanted to start High Drive from the bottom with fresh legs and finish on Palmer/Sec 16...

I did it all for the kudo
    Whatever is clever guys, I'm in!
    I can do earlier. Just not any earlier than about five.

I'm with stupid
    I was thinking bottom of jacks parking lot where you finish, up buckhorn to 666 back up back side of high drive to jacks then back down to cars. I'm with k I am not interested in a mile long hike a bike from highdrive to the buck horn cut off, I'm pretty sure that climb up front side of higdrive wi suck as bad as buck horn. Or if kip shows up her has a trail in mind to show us that is fun

the Chain Guy
    I am thinking about coming. I could make 5:30. I have been pretty lazy lately though so I don't want to slow you guys down too much. It would probably be smarter to stay home and sleep when I can...but that doesn't sound nearly as fun.

Team Inflexible
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    There are no do overs! You'll just have to wait until it comes up in the rotation again .

Jay, my only fear with your suggestion is that it is a lot of pushing to get from the High Drive saddle to a rideable part of Buckhorn. I have another option if we wanted to start High Drive from the bottom with fresh legs and finish on Palmer/Sec 16...
    Cool, I guess I need to remember I am weird when it comes to HAB. I have probably pushed my bike more miles than some people have ridden in a lifetime.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I hope to be there, but SheRa is having shoulder surgery tomorrow night and I leave town on Thu, so its all iffy. If we get up high I can show off a fun figure 8 ride with at least one trail I'm guessing only Hightek has seen.

I'm with stupid
    So what route are we doing so we can get this straight and get everyone on the same page so hopefully have a good turn out.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck
    So what route are we doing so we can get this straight and get everyone on the same page so hopefully have a good turn out.
    If everyone is up for a little adventure, let's meet at the water tower off of Bear Creek Rd (which is basically the bottom of High Drive if you haven't met there before). Take 21st Street to Gold Camp and drive up GC until the 4 way stop sign. Take a left at the 4 way on Bear Creek, head down the hill and around until you see a water holding tower on your right. Park on your left.

Let's meet at 6:00 instead of 6:30 this week, but lights, and trailside energy should be brought by all--this will be a kinda longish ride.

Custom User Title
    Fixing the bike tonight or tomorrow. I might be able to make it but the later the start the better but not too late as I do not have lights anymore. I could be there by 5ish.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsteele
    Fixing the bike tonight or tomorrow. I might be able to make it but the later the start the better but not too late as I do not have lights anymore. I could be there by 5ish.
    Let's do 6:00. This will be a longer ride than we have daylight for, but there is a bail point half way through that we will hit while it's still light(although you would miss one of my favorite downhills).

Since you're a Northerner, here are better directions: Exit I-25 at Cimarron and take a left. Drive to 21st Street which is the second stop light (about 2 miles) and take a left. Drive up the big hill and turn right on Lower Gold Camp. Take that about a mile and then turn left at the 4 way stop sign (Bear Creek) and go about another mile to the water tower.

I'm with stupid
    So what route/ trails are going to ride? I'm debating on bringing the mal just to start getting some more time on it before lifts open.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    So what route/ trails are going to ride? I'm debating on bringing the mal just to start getting some more time on it before lifts open.
    We're riding up High Drive which would seem to preclude bringing the Mal, but I think you've got the legs for it if you wanted to try. We will be doing the whole climb up to the CJ's saddle. The first downhill wouldn't really warrant the Mal, but it's more than I generally would ride the singlespeed on (we'll see how it works though). The second climb/downhill will be Palmer/Sec 16 where the Mal would definitely be nice (again, I'll be out biked on the SS).

I'm with stupid
    Well I might as well bring it and see if I survive pedaling around the beast. Does anyone mind waiting for me to granny gear up everything?

the Chain Guy
    Well I might as well bring it and see if I survive pedaling around the beast. Does anyone mind waiting for me to granny gear up everything?
    I don't mind because I'll probably be back there with you. I did get the go ahead for tomorrow. I am excited, this sounds like a fun route. I am feeling the affects of having to get up a few times every night with the baby so I will be slower for sure.

Kristian how long do you think this will take, since you mentioned it will be a longer ride than normal?

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by bismirle
    Kristian how long do you think this will take, since you mentioned it will be a longer ride than normal?
    I don't really know how long it will take. If we start at 6:00, I'm guessing we would be done by 9:00-9:30 but it's hard to say really--it's been a long time since I've done this route. Like I mentioned to Ryan, there is a bail point in the middle if you need to shorten the ride.

I'm with stupid
    Brian add more time for me being super slow on the climbing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Canyon has been really great over the last few days!
    And I can be there at 6.

Arin, I rode nothin but the big bike for a couple months before the lifts openned last year since I was just starting. Its a bit limiting, and sucks since there isn't really a big bike worthy decent in this town. Well worth the added comfort level once the lifts open, personally. Though it really did suck.

I think I can.

My pass has been pulled

Boys practice got shifted to tomorrow so I am not gonna make it, look forward to hearing about the adventure.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

I'm with stupid
    Guess what tonight is..................... Night ride time... Bump to top.

the Chain Guy
    I am changing to a strong maybe. I was fighting my front brake last night and couldn't get it to stop rubbing. I'm going to try and bleed it today after work. I have never done it before but the videos make it look pretty easy. Unless I totally miss a step I should be up and running by ride time.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by bismirle
    I am changing to a strong maybe. I was fighting my front brake last night and couldn't get it to stop rubbing. I'm going to try and bleed it today after work. I have never done it before but the videos make it look pretty easy. Unless I totally miss a step I should be up and running by ride time.
    I'm not sure that bleeding it will stop the rubbing. Have you tried to reset your pistons and then squeeze the levers again? For me, softness in the lever is the sign I look for to tell me that it's bleed time.

If you're pressed for time, you might just try pressuring the system instead of doing a full bleed. This is not a ride where you want a questionable brake since no matter what it's a long downhill back to the cars. It sounds kinda silly, but you might want to throw your Dot fluid and one of the seringes in your camelbak...

the Chain Guy
    I don't have any softness in the lever just a lot of rub. I have loosened the bolts to reset it but it still is 'off'. I have tried reseting the pistons but that didn't help. The whole caliper doesn't seem to be lined up correctly. I'll play with that before I do a bleed today and see if that is the issue. For now I'm coming. I'll call if I can't get it working.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast