mtbr member

Way OT: Photo Radar

Anyone in Denver know about these Photo Radar Enforcement systems? Let's say I have a "friend" who was allegedly caught by one of these. Now my "friend" has no problem paying the ticket if it is in fact legal. But this "friend" seems to recall these photo radar things to have been ruled illegal several years ago. And yes I will tell my "friend" to obey all speed limits from now on.

-FR

mtbr member
    I happen to know a Lakewood Police officer and he will tell you that in fact the photo radar's are legal and to pay the ticket. Its really hard to get out of these kinds of tickets.

Good luck to your friend and SLLOW DOWN
    Ride Fast, Take Chances!

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontRanger
    seems to recall these photo radar things to have been ruled illegal several years ago.
    Well I found this, and since its on the web it must be true:
    Link

It does look like they are illegal in Denver, but maybe not in other municipalities. I know in Boulder they have them on several stop lights and catch people who run red lights, but the intersections that have them are clearly marked.

I have a "friend" who thinks photo radar things are total crap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

unfortunately they are legal

The legislature set up some rules for enforcing photo radar. There has to be a sign a certain distance in front of it warning motorists. There are certain rules regarding reviewing the photos and delivering/serving the notices. And yes at one time it was ruled illegal but the legislature reluctantly fixed it. Here in boulder it is fairly predictable where the photo radar van is and I avoid those streets or am on the lookout. Moorhead, Folsom are the most popular. There are also photo devices at certain intersections for catching red light runners. Those are easy to avoid. Its funny that that so many people don't seem to get outraged over photo radar--yet these are the same folks who are outraged about the Patriot Act or Pres. Bush spying on terror suspects. Isn't photo radar just a form of spying on citizens driving in their cars?

There is a device you can put onto your license plate to deflect the flash of the photo and supposedly render your license plate invisible or un readable. Check on the internet. It appears to work as the Denver PD and Tom Martino tested it out.

contains quinine
    I have a "friend" who claims to have gone to court to contest a photo ticket because the picture didn't clearly show his face. This "friend" claims to have won that appearance in court.

I've read in numerous publications that the red light photo intersections have significantly more accidents. Thanks City of Boulder!
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    I don't know what the situation is now, but what I've heard in the past is that you can fight the ticket in court like a normal ticket. If you get pulled over and ticketed normally, and then said police officer doesn't show up in court, you automatically win (maybe). With the photo radar, there's no one to show up so if you fight it, you will win. Or something like that. Again, I have very low confidence in my info, but maybe worth looking into.

On the one hand, I think people should slow the eff down and not run lights. On the other hand, the lights around here are ridiculous (why would there be space for 20 cars in a left turn lane and then the light only lets 2 through (and the 2nd one was in the yellow)). And I don't really like the idea of having everything being monitored all of the time.

mtbr member
    Mmmmm, sweet sweet photo radar. You have three options with a photo radar ticket:

1) Pay it and forget about it. It's relatively cheap and is the easiest and probably the most responsible for those of you who thrive on following the rules. Done and done.

2) Fight it and lose. You can try, but it just ain't gonna happen. The only viable defense is that you weren't driving, which is tough to prove due to that pesky photo. The illegality of photo radar was because an officer was not operating the radar device, so the police department simply starting manning the photo radar vans to get around that.

3) Don't pay it. This is the option for gamblers. Technically, you have to be "served" with a ticket, which is what the officer does when he hands you the ticket or what a process server does when he hands you a summons. When you are sent a photo radar ticket, you have not been served. No service = no ticket.

The respective police departments around Denver generally do not have the means to go around personally serving everyone who got a photo radar ticket. As such, you have a very good chance of never hearing about it again. I have done this with two of them and my friend, a criminal defense attorney, has done the same. It has been several years and I have had no problems. That said, a friend of mine did get served one morning around 7:30am at his house for ignoring the ticket and he had to pay double the original fine.

The bottom line is that if you ignore the ticket, the odds for success are very good. However, you still run the risk of getting served. Hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Well my "friend" thanks you all for the replies. To clarify this "friend" did not run a red light. Court may be an option because the picture doesn't look like my "friend". My friend is much better looking than the schmuck in the photo.

banned

photo radar....

Just my 2 cents. I am in arizona. I got a photo radar ticket. I refused to pay it, it was like 9 miles over the limit. Rumor was if the cop doesn't serve you the ticket in person, its not valid. July 3rd I was pulled over, and turns out my license had been suspended for non-payment of the ticket. I got my car towed, and was taking in to be processed. It was a total aggravation. I had to take a day off work, get my license renewed, and my car out of inpound. ended up costing close to $500. I have heard from a "friend" that "people" are making license plate covers that wont show your plate number from the angle the camera's
    take the picture from. Maybee do a google search for these plate covers. BTW, I was never notified that my license was suspended, and the cop told me that they now drive around and run plates since so many peoples license are being suspended without any knowledge. This is in Scottsdale, Arizona.

mtbr member

say cheese and smile!

Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    I've read in numerous publications that the red light photo intersections have significantly more accidents. Thanks City of Boulder!
    i believe it... my, um, friend, got busted by one of these photo devices when they were first installed in boulder. boy was my friend mad. now when this otherwise responsible driver is in boulder and the light turns yellow, i, i mean he, slams on his brakes locking up all 4 wheels sending the jeep sideways as there is no way in hell that stupid camera is gonna catch me again in the middle of intersection!

i feel better now.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Oddly enough, the only photo ticket I actually paid was from Greensboro, NC where they got me in a rental car and somehow tracked by down in CO. They kept sending me warnings that, if left unpaid, I'd be served with summons to small-claims court. After that, I decided to pay it, but only paid the original amount, not the doubled late fee. Never heard from them again.

I've ignored many in Colorado and never heard back from any of them.

mtbr member
    Maybe your "friend" got said ticket because your "friend" decided not to race said 4x event in Snowmass this past weekend. Karma.
    Last edited by .thumper.; 07-18-2006 at 10:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Last winter my wife was driving me to work in the snow. And as you know in Boulder its slow going when its snowing. Well we were going a mighty 5 miles an hour heading west on Arapahoe. Needless to say it took about 10 seconds to get through the intersection and well don't you know the light turned red and there we are stuck in the middle of the street.

The good news is when Boulder agreed to put up these red light tax base increasers they agreed not it wouldn't cost you any points on your license.

As far as saying its spying, well I don't agree with that at all. In fact Ray Davies wrote a song for this exact kinda situation.

Met a girl called lola and I took her back to my place
    Feelin’ guilty, feelin’ scared, hidden cameras everywhere
    Stop! hold on. stay in control

Girl, I want you here with me
    But I’m really not as cool as I’d like to be
    ’cause there’s a red, under my bed
    And there’s a little yellow man in my head
    And there’s a true blue inside of me
    That keeps stoppin’ me, touchin’ ya, watchin’ ya, lovin’ ya

Paranoia, the destroyer.
    Paranoia, the destroyer.

Well I fell asleep, then I woke feelin’ kinda’ queer
    Lola looked at me and said, ooh you look so weird.
    She said, man, there’s really something wrong with you.
    One day you’re gonna’ self-destruct.
    You’re up, you’re down, I can’t work you out
    You get a good thing goin’ then you blow yourself out.

Silly boy ya’ self-destroyer. silly boy ya’ self-destroyer

Silly boy you got so much to live for
    So much to aim for, so much to try for
    You blowing it all with paranoia
    You’re so insecure you self-destroyer

(and it goes like this, here it goes)
    Paranoia, the destroyer
    (here it goes again)
    Paranoia, the destroyer

Dr. dr. help me please, I know you’ll understand
    There’s a time device inside of me, I’m a self-destructin’ man
    There’s a red, under my bed
    And there’s a little green man in my head
    And he said, you’re not goin’ crazy, you’re just a bit sad
    ’cause there’s a man in ya, knawin’ ya, tearin’ ya into two.

Silly boy ya’ self-destroyer.
    Paranoia, the destroyer

Self-destroyer, wreck your health
    Destroy friends, destroy yourself
    The time device of self-destruction
    Light the fuse and start eruption

(yea, it goes like this, here it goes)
    Paranoia, the destroyer
    (here’s to paranoia)
    Paranoia, the destroyer
    (hey hey, here it goes)
    Paranoia, the destroyer
    (and it goes like this)

Paranoia, the destroyer
    (and it goes like this.)
    i want to breathe
    follow the scene
    i want to taste
    everyone i see
    i want to run when i'm up high
    i want to run into the sea
    i only want life to be...
    i just want to be...
    i will feel alive as long as i am free...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .thumper.
    Maybe your "friend" got said ticket because your "friend" decided not to race said 4x event in Snowmass this past weekend. Karma.
    That Karma is an evil b*tch I tell ya. I left out Friday morning for Snowmass only to have my clutch go out on me as I passed Morrison on 70. $600 later and Karma still ain't doing nothing for me. Maybe I need to make a list of all the bad things I have done........

mtbr member
    That Karma is an evil b*tch I tell ya. I left out Friday morning for Snowmass only to have my clutch go out on me as I passed Morrison on 70. $600 later and Karma still ain't doing nothing for me. Maybe I need to make a list of all the bad things I have done........
    Dayum! Sorry to hear about that. I was keeping an eye out for you up there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by .thumper.
    Dayum! Sorry to hear about that. I was keeping an eye out for you up there.
    Yeah it sucked but I wonder how much an airlift to Grand Junction hospital would have cost me if I gone.

mtbr member
    Yeah it sucked but I wonder how much an airlift to Grand Junction hospital would have cost me if I gone.
    Nah - there's a hospital in Aspen. I made a trip to it myself!

all end up here someday
    [QUOTE=jimmy]

There is a device you can put onto your license plate to deflect the flash of the photo and supposedly render your license plate invisible or un readable.QUOTE]

Ghetto photo-radar deterrent....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If I get lost, don't go too fast!

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by climbmonkey
    1) Pay it and forget about it. It's relatively cheap and is the easiest and probably the most responsible for those of you who thrive on following the rules. Done and done.
    The ticket isn't that much, but the increase to your insurance premium is a lot. That $20 fine could cost you $1000 or so.

I'm from Queensland Australia AKA "the police state". The police are swarming everywhere and you can't do more than 2mph over the limit without getting busted. My experience here is that the police are pretty laid back and don't really bust you unless you're really speeding. In fact that last time I got pulled over, the cop let me off with a warning. Now if we could just get people to move out of the left lane.........
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have received a few radar tickets in denver from the white van parked by a school(now i slow quickly whenever i see the blue radar in use sign). The are not considered moving violations, and do not count as points against your license. They are more like parking tickets. Just a fine to get your attention to slow down. Just pay it and remember to slow down when you see the radar in use sign and a white van parked funny on the side of the road.
    Don't know about the camera's in boulder though...

mtbr member
    They can use the photo radar vans only in school zones and "safety zones". I guess a safety zone is something near big parks and public pools, etc... those are the only places that Denver can legally use them. If you try to fight the ticket, you will never walk away without paying anything. I had good story for my last ticket and the officer didn't show and every thing... still got hit with a 20 dollar court fee!

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebum
    I have received a few radar tickets in denver from the white van parked by a school(now i slow quickly whenever i see the blue radar in use sign). The are not considered moving violations, and do not count as points against your license. They are more like parking tickets. Just a fine to get your attention to slow down. Just pay it and remember to slow down when you see the radar in use sign and a white van parked funny on the side of the road.
    Don't know about the camera's in boulder though...
    That's good news, I didn't know that. Back in Oz they are just like any other speeding ticket.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I got out of a Denver photo radar ticket. It was me, nice picture of my face/plates. The ticket came certified mail where I had to go to the post office and sign for it (Thought I had won a sweepstake or something!). It stated I was doing 40 in a 30 zone. Fine, I payed the fine. Soon after I was on the same stretch of road and noticed it was a 35 zone, not 30. I wrote a letter discussing natural, slight variations in speed, speedo calibrations, ect and stated I thought it was a little close to give a ticket for 5 mph over the posted limit. A few weeks later I got a check for $40 and my original letter back.

Shread Ready
    Yeah, they piss me off. I've got popped 2x by the Red-Light flashers in Boulder. I just paid them right away at about $70/tkt. It frustrates me and I also almost lock up my brakes to avoid those things! Basically, a yellow light means speed up if your about to enter the intersection and a yellow light is supposed to last about 3 seconds. Well, they can adjust those to turn as fast as they want and watch the revenue start to come in.

But, yeah, I've heard the same thing as Feldybikes in regards to these. Supposedly you can get them dismissed by calling a witness to the stand in which a camera cannot be a witness. Never tried it but I would now since I don't have a job a nothing but time on my hands. OMG, cameras are all over the place.