FAT CHANCE!

Waterton/ CO. Trail/ Roxboro? May20th

Anyone ride out there this week? How were the trail conditions out there?

I am hoping summer falls on a weekend this year so I can get a longer ride in....

mtbr member
    I rode it on Saturday (15th) Rox loop, you're good to go. One muddy spot on the backside which is probably dried out now.

FAT CHANCE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Otis Towns
    I rode it on Saturday (15th) Rox loop, you're good to go. One muddy spot on the backside which is probably dried out now.

Thanks

Do you think Indian Creek stuff would be just as Dry?

mtbr member
    I doubt it, I did take a peek up Stevens gulch and it was muddy. But who knows, with no moisture this week and 80 degrees coming up it's gotta be getting close.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I rode Indian Creek today from Waterton. It's close to being completely dry. The first half of Trail 800 was dry and tacky. The second half of Trail 800 (after leaving the campground) was wet with some snow in a few places high on north aspects of the 4x4 road. There was a boggy area just south of the Carpenter Peak access trail. There was a short boggy area before the picturesque meadow. Water was running down the trail quite a ways on the short grunt just after leaving the meadow and before the final drop to the dam.

I made four mud portages. There is some blowdown in a handful of places; two trees are in places where speeds are high while descending singletrack. Both sites may jack someone up if they don't get shut down. The first is just after the first steep drop several hundred yards below the Stevens/ Trail 800 intersection. The tree has a two-foot diameter, is full of nubbins and head height; it's immediately following a right turn and just above the steep rooty-stepped area prior to the trail flattening out a bit. The second is on the delectable singletrack that begins at end of the 4x4 road where the high tension power lines are first encountered. The tree comes up fast around a left sweep and is about three-feet above ground.

I've rambled enough. I may get some photos up on my blog in the next several days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I was out there today. CT trail, Waterton, and Indian Creek are all good. Esp. the CT trail for Waterton to South Platte. Parts of Stevens gulch are still wet and muddy. Any wet spots elsewhere were just that wet and not damage the trail, gunk up your bike kind of stuff. The creeks/ streams are flowing pretty good right now to so use caution when crossing. Some of them are a bit deeper than they appear. Overall it was actually a great day to be out there. Other than feeling like crap.

FAT CHANCE!
    Yeah I went out there this afternoon as well. A great day weather wise and the trails are good to go. A little tacky around the corners in some places and a few mud holes. The mud holes might damage the trails a bit but they are maybe 2-3 foot sections that will hopefully dry out soon. I noticed the creeks are moving pretty good too, definitely deeper than they appear, just to warn you. And I thought I was in a horse track with all the Horse $h!t on the trail, thanks my equestrian friends!

Overal it was a nice day and it felt good to be out riding but I too was riding like crap. A little bronchitis a few weeks ago and another week off the bike in Florida last week has really hurt my riding conditioning.

FAT CHANCE!

Stevens or Roundup

One Week later....(Indian Creek area)

Anyone ride up Stevens or Roundup this week? I am thinking of heading up there in the morning and wanted to know if there is a lot of trees down or water flowing down the trials. Sounds like there are two trees to watch out for.

thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    what is roundup?

FAT CHANCE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele
    what is roundup?
    Roundup is the name of the trail east of Stevens Gulch and west of 800. I think the northern end is near the homestead shack there in Stevens Gultch, not to far from the Roxboro loop.

I don't think it gets ridden as much as Stevens. I have thought of taking it from the top off of 800 and ride it down to Roxboro loop but have never done it, I ususally just take Stevens down.