Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Waterton Canyon to be shut down for almost a year

STRONTIA SPRINGS, Colo. - The areas near Waterton Canyon will be closed for close to a year to allow for dredging of a nearby
    reservoir.

Denver Water says more than one million cubic yards of sediment has accumulated in Strontia Springs Reservoir because of forest fires and intense rains, causing water quality issues for the Foothills and Marston water treatment plants.

Contractors will remove at least 625,000 cubic yards of the sediment, which Denver Water says is enough to fill Invesco Field at Mile High to a height of more than 200 feet.

The work will take place from Aug. 2, 2010 until Dec. 3, 2010, and then resume again from Feb. 28, 2011 until Dec. 31, 2011.

Waterton Canyon and the parking lot near the entrance will be closed during the project.

Denver Water says those looking to access the Colorado Trailhead will want to access CT Segment one via the Indian Creek Trailhead on
    Highway 67, 10.5 miles west of Sedalia.

Is there another way to access Indian Creek or the Rox Loop from Roxborough instead of going down to the Indian Creek campground?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Bummer......I am not sure about other access points but that could possibly really increase the amount of people accessing one of my favorite areas to ride. It's normally so quiet back there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    They'll all know about Indian Creek now. Shame on Denver Water for shutting it down... how about weekends? Are they gonna work on Saturdays and Sundays? There will be a lot of push back but not sure if DWB will cave or not since the OWN the canyon.
    WTF

mtbr member
    Not such a bad deal. Much funner starting at IC anyways.

There is another to access than going to the trailhead, but the amount of work you have to do, you might as well make the drive through Sedalia.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    This is a bummer, I typically ride it a couple times a week after work...Going from the DTC to Downtown Denver it worked out great...going to have to find another place...BR

Stayin' Puft

Looks like I need a new MTBR handle.

Very sad.

mtbr member
    A year and a half closure? What are they using to haul out the sediment? Mules?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Otis Towns
    A year and a half closure? What are they using to haul out the sediment? Mules?

Maybe Ox and cart? As I understand it, the contractor will be laying a pipeline on the canyon road and will pump the slurry from above the dam down to the parking area at the mouth of the canyon. So there will be constant construction traffic on a narrowed road. That's the reason for the closure. Let's face it, we all like to take showers, flush toilets, etc., so this was going to happen sooner or later. Don't blame the Water Board, blame Terry Lynn Barton.

On the upside, the USFS has received funds for improvements and recreation opportunities in the Hayman burn area. Some of those improvements could be new trails! Stay tuned.

FRMBP.org - Paying it Forward

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by casey

On the upside, the USFS has received funds for improvements and recreation opportunities in the Hayman burn area. Some of those improvements could be new trails! Stay tuned.
    Drove through the north end of that area on the way backpacking with my son last summer... and talk about opportunity for epic singletrack. Hook it up with Buffalo Creek and there could be literally hundreds of miles of sweet, sweet trail down there.

mtbr member
    this sucks - if they think dogs have a negative impact on the wild life in the canyon I can only imagine what type of impact the 'heavy machinery' will have.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhead
    this sucks - if they think dogs have a negative impact on the wild life in the canyon I can only imagine what type of impact the 'heavy machinery' will have.
    Wildlife doesn't generally view a front-end loader as a predatory threat.

!Vamos, flaco!
    I'm pretty sure Denver Water is more concerned about the impacts on the millions of humans who depend on their water distribution system.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    I'm pretty sure Denver Water is more concerned about the impacts on the millions of humans who depend on their water distribution system.
    pretty obvious - just contradictory and upsetting that they can't get this done in a shorter span of time.

!Vamos, flaco!
    pretty obvious - just contradictory and upsetting that they can't get this done in a shorter span of time.
    It's a bummer it'll be closed for this amount of time, but the only people who could even really begin to comment on the proposed time frame are engineers or other professionals with knowledge about dredging reservoirs in somewhat remote locations.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    How was this decided? Is there any chance as a mtb community of getting together and putting together a new proposal that would keep it open on weekends?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Timing seems to be on par with this other project.

http://www.yumasun.com/news/dredging...-imperial.html

Keep in mind they aren't dealing with winter in Yuma.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizzarre
    How was this decided? Is there any chance as a mtb community of getting together and putting together a new proposal that would keep it open on weekends?
    I would say no, but your assuming they aren't working more than 5 days a week. That is a bad assumption

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizzarre
    If you think Denver Water cares what a bunch of mountain bikers thinks, you must live in a lovely fantasy land.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If you think Denver Water cares what a bunch of mountain bikers thinks, you must live in a lovely fantasy land.

I think they care, just performing their essential function. Advanced notice is a good way of indicating their respect to the users of the Canyon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the support!

Pivot Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by casey

FRMBP.org - Paying it Forward
    That would be friggin AWESOME to have more new trail in that area! Keep us updated on the progress of that!
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

Pivot Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by TCR1
    I think they care, just performing their essential function. Advanced notice is a good way of indicating their respect to the users of the Canyon.
    I totally agree -- they could have just closed things down without prior notice. However, this notice has been out for about a month now at least. I respect what they have to do to keep everyone with plenty of water, it sucks that it has to be done during the "season", however, at least there are other ways to access the CT (a bit out of the way for many of us, but.....) It could be worse....
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by TCR1
    I would assert that Denver Water cares about the positions of land management agencies and other political organizations that have certain power and influence of Denver Water's current and future plans, not a bunch of mountain bikers who want to put together some sort of a proposal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I would assert that Denver Water cares about the positions of land management agencies and other political organizations that have certain power and influence of Denver Water's current and future plans, not a bunch of mountain bikers who want to put together some sort of a proposal.
    Gotcha

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    When I want to ride Rox, IC, Nelson/Ringtail without doing Waterton, I simply drive/ride to Roxborough Park subdivision. Tell the guard shack you're going to Nelson open space. He won't stop you, at least he has never stopped me. Take 5 to the connector. Carry your bike the couple hundred yards to the MTB trail and you're off. Climbing and descending Ringtail is about as good as MTB'ing gets.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast