mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Waterton Canyon to be shut down for almost a year

STRONTIA SPRINGS, Colo. - The areas near Waterton Canyon will be closed for close to a year to allow for dredging of a nearby
    reservoir.

Denver Water says more than one million cubic yards of sediment has accumulated in Strontia Springs Reservoir because of forest fires and intense rains, causing water quality issues for the Foothills and Marston water treatment plants.

Contractors will remove at least 625,000 cubic yards of the sediment, which Denver Water says is enough to fill Invesco Field at Mile High to a height of more than 200 feet.

The work will take place from Aug. 2, 2010 until Dec. 3, 2010, and then resume again from Feb. 28, 2011 until Dec. 31, 2011.

Waterton Canyon and the parking lot near the entrance will be closed during the project.

Denver Water says those looking to access the Colorado Trailhead will want to access CT Segment one via the Indian Creek Trailhead on
    Highway 67, 10.5 miles west of Sedalia.

Is there another way to access Indian Creek or the Rox Loop from Roxborough instead of going down to the Indian Creek campground?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Bummer......I am not sure about other access points but that could possibly really increase the amount of people accessing one of my favorite areas to ride. It's normally so quiet back there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    They'll all know about Indian Creek now. Shame on Denver Water for shutting it down... how about weekends? Are they gonna work on Saturdays and Sundays? There will be a lot of push back but not sure if DWB will cave or not since the OWN the canyon.
    WTF

mtbr member
    Not such a bad deal. Much funner starting at IC anyways.

There is another to access than going to the trailhead, but the amount of work you have to do, you might as well make the drive through Sedalia.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    This is a bummer, I typically ride it a couple times a week after work...Going from the DTC to Downtown Denver it worked out great...going to have to find another place...BR

Stayin' Puft

Looks like I need a new MTBR handle.

Very sad.

mtbr member
    A year and a half closure? What are they using to haul out the sediment? Mules?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Otis Towns
    A year and a half closure? What are they using to haul out the sediment? Mules?

Maybe Ox and cart? As I understand it, the contractor will be laying a pipeline on the canyon road and will pump the slurry from above the dam down to the parking area at the mouth of the canyon. So there will be constant construction traffic on a narrowed road. That's the reason for the closure. Let's face it, we all like to take showers, flush toilets, etc., so this was going to happen sooner or later. Don't blame the Water Board, blame Terry Lynn Barton.

On the upside, the USFS has received funds for improvements and recreation opportunities in the Hayman burn area. Some of those improvements could be new trails! Stay tuned.

FRMBP.org - Paying it Forward

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by casey
    <snip>

On the upside, the USFS has received funds for improvements and recreation opportunities in the Hayman burn area. Some of those improvements could be new trails! Stay tuned.
    Drove through the north end of that area on the way backpacking with my son last summer... and talk about opportunity for epic singletrack. Hook it up with Buffalo Creek and there could be literally hundreds of miles of sweet, sweet trail down there.

mtbr member
    this sucks - if they think dogs have a negative impact on the wild life in the canyon I can only imagine what type of impact the 'heavy machinery' will have.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhead
    this sucks - if they think dogs have a negative impact on the wild life in the canyon I can only imagine what type of impact the 'heavy machinery' will have.
    Wildlife doesn't generally view a front-end loader as a predatory threat.

!Vamos, flaco!
    I'm pretty sure Denver Water is more concerned about the impacts on the millions of humans who depend on their water distribution system.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    I'm pretty sure Denver Water is more concerned about the impacts on the millions of humans who depend on their water distribution system.
    pretty obvious - just contradictory and upsetting that they can't get this done in a shorter span of time.

!Vamos, flaco!
    pretty obvious - just contradictory and upsetting that they can't get this done in a shorter span of time.
    It's a bummer it'll be closed for this amount of time, but the only people who could even really begin to comment on the proposed time frame are engineers or other professionals with knowledge about dredging reservoirs in somewhat remote locations.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    How was this decided? Is there any chance as a mtb community of getting together and putting together a new proposal that would keep it open on weekends?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Timing seems to be on par with this other project.

http://www.yumasun.com/news/dredging...-imperial.html

Keep in mind they aren't dealing with winter in Yuma.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizzarre
    How was this decided? Is there any chance as a mtb community of getting together and putting together a new proposal that would keep it open on weekends?
    I would say no, but your assuming they aren't working more than 5 days a week. That is a bad assumption

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizzarre
    If you think Denver Water cares what a bunch of mountain bikers thinks, you must live in a lovely fantasy land.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    If you think Denver Water cares what a bunch of mountain bikers thinks, you must live in a lovely fantasy land.

I think they care, just performing their essential function. Advanced notice is a good way of indicating their respect to the users of the Canyon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the support!

Pivot Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by casey

FRMBP.org - Paying it Forward
    That would be friggin AWESOME to have more new trail in that area! Keep us updated on the progress of that!
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

Pivot Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by TCR1
    I think they care, just performing their essential function. Advanced notice is a good way of indicating their respect to the users of the Canyon.
    I totally agree -- they could have just closed things down without prior notice. However, this notice has been out for about a month now at least. I respect what they have to do to keep everyone with plenty of water, it sucks that it has to be done during the "season", however, at least there are other ways to access the CT (a bit out of the way for many of us, but.....) It could be worse....
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by TCR1
    I would assert that Denver Water cares about the positions of land management agencies and other political organizations that have certain power and influence of Denver Water's current and future plans, not a bunch of mountain bikers who want to put together some sort of a proposal.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I would assert that Denver Water cares about the positions of land management agencies and other political organizations that have certain power and influence of Denver Water's current and future plans, not a bunch of mountain bikers who want to put together some sort of a proposal.
    Gotcha

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    When I want to ride Rox, IC, Nelson/Ringtail without doing Waterton, I simply drive/ride to Roxborough Park subdivision. Tell the guard shack you're going to Nelson open space. He won't stop you, at least he has never stopped me. Take 5 to the connector. Carry your bike the couple hundred yards to the MTB trail and you're off. Climbing and descending Ringtail is about as good as MTB'ing gets.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

FunHog
    Interesting...so you ride the dirt CR5 south to hook up with the Ringtail trail. How about parking back in there. Also, I assume you have to do an out-and-back to get to your car?

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by mbenak
    Interesting...so you ride the dirt CR5 south to hook up with the Ringtail trail. How about parking back in there. Also, I assume you have to do an out-and-back to get to your car?
    Yes, ride 5 past the gate to the "hiking only" connector. It's short and it t's into the MTB trail. Once you're there, you can climb up Ringtail to the IC trails. You can do it as an out& back or you can do it as a big loop if you add in the Rox loop (say by descending Stephen's Gulch) and then turn right (instead of left) at the Rox tee that would normally take you back to the damn. That will take you back up Powerline. You can also descend back to Rox via Raven or you can come back in via the old homestead way (see Nelson map here and download the pdf).

OK, some of this might be getting a bit sketchy for sharing because the Rox Park subdivision one of those gated communities that likes to protect their "cultural heritage" from us rif-raf, but it's all legal trail and there is a historical public easement to CR5.

You can park at CR5 but Rox community frowns on it. It's best to just park behind the west metro firehouse near Rox park and ride in. BTW, the old public easement goes right through the golf course. You can ride through it on the cart way. They may yell at you, but as far as I know, it's still legal.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

FunHog
    Cool...I always wondered what the right turn at the Rox tee would do for ya.

mtbr member
    Really, They have to remove enough dirt from the bottom of the reservoir that wil fill invesco twice. I can't believe they are going to do it that quick.

I think a compromise during the summer on weekends would be good though.

Erik

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Climbing and descending Ringtail is about as good as MTB'ing gets.
    +1

mtbr member
    A few things about CR5.
    The parking inside the subdivision is pretty limited, so if you do have to park there, park head in.
    CR5 is also scheduled for construction work this year. Douglas County is turning it into an emergency egress gravel road. While there has been no mention of it being shut down for different periods, it could happen.
    When connecting to Ringtail on the hiking only connector, take DWF's advice and please walk your bike, especially on the weekends. Rox State Park does hiking tours through there and you will occasionally run into horse traffic. I've been chastised for even walking my bike through there. With the limited bike traffic it sees now, there hasn't been a problem, but the State Park may frown if there are incidents.
    Less yap, more dig

Shread Ready
    Huh, that's a bummer. I was just thinking I wanted to explore some new areas this season and this was at the top of my list! All I remember about this area was the numerous time I road up the dirt road to the Dam with my parents when I was a kid on my BMX bike. I really want to get to know this network of trails. Maybe I'll try some of these alternative routes into the Rocksborough area. Or, maybe not.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    When I want to ride Rox, IC, Nelson/Ringtail without doing Waterton, I simply drive/ride to Roxborough Park subdivision. Tell the guard shack you're going to Nelson open space. He won't stop you, at least he has never stopped me. Take 5 to the connector. Carry your bike the couple hundred yards to the MTB trail and you're off. Climbing and descending Ringtail is about as good as MTB'ing gets.
    thanks for the suggestion, don... had never been; good stuff!

...was glad i printed out that JPEG of kosayno's map, too!
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Ringtail rox!

Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    Hey folks,

While DWF and Silverstreak's information is technically accurate, with the closure of Waterton, the Roxborough Park Foundation (HOA for "the Park") and the State Park are taking measure's to ensure they are not the new "doormat" for access to the Nat'l Forest.

If you park in Roxborough Park subdivision without a sticker, they will ticket and/or tow you for parking on private property.

Per my reply in the following thread, The State Park will be on the lookout for cyclists using the .3 mile section of Sharptail to connect from Nelson Ranch Open Space to DC-5.

Yes, yes, there's been an ongoing debate about the DC-5 Road, right-of-way, etc, etc. I know, I've been researching it for years and I live in the greater Roxborough community.

I'm trying to organize a trail's cooperative to bring together private, local, state and federal agencies in an effort to try to tie trail access issues together.

Until that time, if you want to educate yourself, you can do a full text search for "DC-5", "DC#5" and/or "DC5" on the Douglas County web site. You can also look for information on Douglas County Resolution "R-001-129" (you can try a search without the dashes too.)

If for some reason you can't find these documents online, I'll be happy to email you a copy. Just PM me.

The bottom line, is that this Waterton closure has ruffled feathers, caused access issues to bubble to the surface and generally made a mess of a nice "community" arrangement.

These issues won't be cleared up with a magic wand simply because Waterton is closed for a few months. The Douglas County Road No. 5 topic goes back nearly 40 years.

It's going to take the cooperation of all parties to resolve even the smallest access issue. Now would not be the time to enflame the issue by poaching a .3 mile trail segment (Sharptail), cutting through the golf course on a sketchy, 40-year-old road easement or causing Roxborough Park to start towing problem vehicles.

Unless you're a guest of someone who lives in the Park, the best advice I can offer if you want to access the Nat'l Forest via DC-5 is to quietly and politely make your way through the subdivision on your bike (per both DWF and Silverstreak posts). Wave to people. Say hello. Don't park in the subdivision. Stay off their community (read private) trails. Don't make an ass out of yourself because that'll ruin access to DC-5 for everyone.

The Park has always been tolerant of visitors... don't wear out our welcome.

(And no, I don't live in the Park.)

Happy trails everyone.
    Last edited by JLampitt; 08-08-2010 at 09:53 PM.

The 5th knuckle
    Has any one rode Iron Bark Dr? Is that the same thing as CR-5?

mtbr member
    Same road. It's so known as Old Thomas Road as well as Forest Route #511 (I think... can't remember the exact # at the moment).

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by JLampitt
    Same road. It's so known as Old Thomas Road as well as Forest Route #511 (I think... can't remember the exact # at the moment).
    Thanks. I tried to ride it Sunday from Hwy 67. Some how ended up at Indian Creek #800 & Ringtail. Said screw it and rode ringtail until no matter what way I went I found no bike signs. Turned around and had the grind and a half ride back to 67. New ride on favorites list.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JLampitt
    It's also known as "you'll get baked to death if you ride in the middle of the day" road

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Not sure if I would use the term ďbakedĒ based on the CO laws now , but it is one exposed trail. I rode it on Sunday mid-day. Jaycastlerock, where you the guy on the SantaCruz? I was the guy on the Yeti sweating through all of my clothing on the way up.
    I agree this is one sweet ride. After Waterton closed I wasnít sure what to ride as the Rox loop was my bi-weekly ride. I had heard about CR#5 so thought I would give it a try. Rode from Rox Village and just about killed myself getting to close to IC, but not all the way. Almost 4hours for the round trip (I'm not the fastest rider and did take time to enjoy the view).
    The only other person I saw was a person wearing a state parks uniform that I caught up to while I was WALKING my bike on the .3 mile part of Sharptail. We had a short conversation about the access to Ringtail. She didnít seem fazed that I was walking my bike and understood that I was only trying to get access to trails friendly to bikers. Hopefully this is the typical response if you are being responsible and not riding your bike illegally.
    I didnít ride any of the Swallowtail trails. Are they worth checking out next time?
    It looks like CR#5 continues past Sharptail gate, where does it go? Does it continue to IC to make a loop out of Ringtail?

The 5th knuckle
    Hey Etprimus - I ride a yellow trek and have a maroon backpack. From the map I have CR#5 goes all the way over to hwy 67 near Rampart Range road. I was trying to pre-ride some trails that would get me home instead of Santa Fe. Ringtail was super fun on the way north, fun in a "not going to let this 5 mile climb win" on the way back. Swallowtail was full of mushy sand where there weren't any rocks. The rocks were huge and slick. Ate it pretty good on one climb. It was a fun loop to go explore.

I was wearing a dark grey t-shirt and tan cargos. When I got back to the car parked at Rampart I couldn't figure out why the moto guy in the truck next to me was looking at me. You couldn't tell my shirt was dripping in sweat but my tan shorts looked like I pissed my self. Thank goodness for 2 bottle cages and a big camel back.

mtbr member
    etprimus, I'd be willing to bet you ran into Amy, and if she was cool with you walking then that is very good news for sure!

I think you're comment is key here, "...being responsible and not riding your bike illegally."
    Last edited by JLampitt; 08-09-2010 at 05:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    Has any one rode Iron Bark Dr? Is that the same thing as CR-5?
    I know this thread is long dormant, but I'm trying to find a connector between Jarre Canyon Rd (67) and Roxborough Park on a road bike for a "dirty century."

It seems you guys have some experience on Iron Bark Dr. Do any of you know the condition of this road between Rox Park and Jarre Canyon Rd. where Rampart Ridge Rd. begins?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. A few buddies and I are recon'ing this tomorrow morning.

mtbr member
    DenverCX, PM me and I can send you GPS info.