mtbr member

Waterton Canyon: March 2012 Re-opening (targeted)

Hey gang, this just popped up on my radar from the Denver Water site.

More details as they are available...

Waterton Canyon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JLampitt View Post
    Hey gang, this just popped up on my radar from the Denver Water site.

More details as they are available...

Waterton Canyon
    Not too surprised with this. My guess is that they won't have it cleared up and open until May 1.

mtbr member
    I've been watching the "demobilization" of the project - as least as much is visible - as I drive by each day on my way to work. It's coming down piece-by-piece.

I noted today that they've updated the signage (blue tape with Sharpie). At least things are moving.

mtbr member

woohoo!

I don't live anywhere near Waterton, but surprisingly, I've missed it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinerider View Post
    Indeed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I propose an opening day ride, complete with ribbon cutting ceremony and maybe even a champagne toast. We get there early enough so that the first ones back in Waterton are The Riders. The first ones the mountain goats (sheep?) see are...The Riders. We reclaim the canyon. Whaddaya say?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Light freak
    Originally posted by xcguy
    I propose an opening day ride, complete with ribbon cutting ceremony and maybe even a champagne toast. We get there early enough so that the first ones back in Waterton are The Riders. The first ones the mountain goats (sheep?) see are...The Riders. We reclaim the canyon. Whaddaya say?
    Hey xcguy, you actually thinking about riding again? If so, that would be a reason to celebrate

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    Hey xcguy, you actually thinking about riding again? If so, that would be a reason to celebrate

I'll make a cameo appearance. How can I OTB pedaling slowly up a familiar double track, right?

I've put in a million miles on the trainer, maybe I'll be ready. Shoulder feels good. And I'll have my camera!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    I want to own the Roxborough Loop Strava segment. It has been closed since before Strava existed. Used to love Waterton growing up, and it always takes me back...

A guy on a bike Moderator
    I'm looking forward to starting the CTR on the "real" route in 2012. It never seemed quite right to begin a 500-mile race by riding downhill...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    I'm there. I've already scheduled the day off on my work calendar!!

mtbr member
    "Strava" segment... I've been riding there for nearly 12 years and have mapped/GPS'd every corner. I would love to know what the "Strava" segment is? ;-)

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If they don't make the March 1 date, isn't the that CT section typically still snowed in/muddy with runoff until at least early/mid April anyway?

Sorry if that's a buzz kill.

mtbr member
    I do miss riding there, look forward to the reopening...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    I'm in!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    If they don't make the March 1 date, isn't the that CT section typically still snowed in/muddy with runoff until at least early/mid April anyway?
    It can be hit or miss. Depends on the season I suppose. There've been years it's been bone dry by the first part of March and then get's dumped on.

Even if the CT is snowed under, it's always a great spin up the canyon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pinerider View Post
    Well if & when it does open we'll have to ride it again Dave. It would be a nice bday present if it actually opens on 3/1

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover View Post
    I do miss riding there, look forward to the reopening...
    +1 yep

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Wasn't it just a month ago or so that Denver Water reported that the contractor was only 1/3 done, and they may be entering litigation, and it sounded like it could be a year out??

Good news if true.

I rode there late Oct., from the campground, and right at the north end, as far from everything as possible, I scared a big black bear coming around a corner, not 20 feet away. I went back the way I came; he just watched. yikes.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah... there are a few bears and cat's back in that area. Especially in the area of Wrangler and Steven's Gulch. Lot's of food and water.

Glad to hear your encounter was uneventful.

mtbr member
    Just a little bump in this thread.

The parking area to Waterton has undergone a nice facelift (pic below).

Also, equipment and such continue to move out on a daily basis. Nearly all the piping has been dismantled and I saw two semi-truck loads of it being hauled down Wadsworth toward C470. All of the equipment that was visible from the road is now dismantled as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Can't wait to ride the canyon again.

mtbr member
    As of the closure, there really needed to be some work done on some of the trails on the Roxborough Loop. They're all still great, fun rides, but things were getting pretty rutted at the bottom of the longish switchback descent (if riding counter-clockwise) just past the Indian Creek turn, as well as the climb back out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtncampbell View Post
    As of the closure, there really needed to be some work done on some of the trails on the Roxborough Loop. They're all still great, fun rides, but things were getting pretty rutted at the bottom of the longish switchback descent (if riding counter-clockwise) just past the Indian Creek turn, as well as the climb back out.
    Indeed. I had an opportunity to do some scouting on the CO Trail last weekend with a few members of COMBA and the Forest Service. (Didn't see much, pretty snowed under still.)

I mentioned those sections and the FS said they'd be interested in discussing either maintenance or a reroute of some sections and adding a few of the social trails to the network (Round-up and the section between Trail 800 and Stevens Gulch - which is badly rutted as well...).

It should be noted that this was just discussion and there's much work to do to actually get things coordinated. Although very popular with the bikers, Indian Creek is also extremely popular with the equestrians, so some sort of coordinated effort between the riding community and equestrian groups would probably be the best approach. Besides, what biker could complain about having a our equestrian friends bring in equipment. Certainly would be easier than a B.O.B trailer.

More to come...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hang10jeff View Post
    Can't wait to ride the canyon again.
    You and me both. I've got March 1st (or whatever day it opens) inked on the calendar as a vacation day.