mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Waterton Canyon to Buffalo Creek via Colorado Trail

Has anyone done this ride before? I would love to hear someone else's experience with this ride. Hopefully better than mine!!
    We rented a cabin in buffalo creek and my friend mapped out a ride from waterton canyon to buffalo creek. He told me that the map said around 30 miles. We have ridden tons of rides at buffalo creek and 30 mile rides have been fairly easy.He figured it would take about 3-4 hours, i did not double check his calculations, i just said i would ride it. We left waterton canyon at 5 pm, it was 98 degrees out. I felt really good until we started riding out of the platte river area towards buffalo creek and ran out of water around mile 15. After another half hour of riding it really started to hit me, i took a bunch of electrolytes and hammer gels but the damage was already done and now i knew i was in trouble. We put our lights on and continued to ride my bike. It got to the point that i could not walk or climb more than 20 yards without laying down and resting. I felt like i was going to black out. One of the guys in our group decided to ride ahead and find our ride and bring back water. The other guy stayed back with me and helped push my bike and kept an eye on me. I finally told him to take off and finish the ride and i would meet them later, whenever that was. I was really disappointed/pissed at myself!!
    He refused to leave me but finally comprised and left. After we got done he told me my face was pale and i was probably going into mild shock and thats why he did not want to leave me behind. I slept for a half hour and woke up to noises in the trees close by and that really motivated me to start riding again. I had a lighter with me and more gels so i knew i would be ok if i had to spend the night there.
    Seeing a herd of deer at night and only being able to see there eyes is really strange. There were probably 60 pairs of eyes watching me. It looked like those jawas or tuscan raiders from star wars.

I started to descend and i knew i was getting close, i could see a big diesel truck that had to be a search and rescue vehicle looking for me but they never spotted me. Made it out to the road at 11 pm and ran into one of the guys in my group. He came running up with water and it had to have been the greatest two glasses of water i have ever had!!!!!!!!!
    I felt like a total dip **** for wasting search and rescues time, diesel and effort and continued to apologize to them. Friday night i was that guy.......that guy you always read about and ask yourself what the hell was he thinking.

I guess they were about to unload the quads and go out to look for me.
    It would of been a pinnacle of shame if i got a ride back to the fire station on a quad. I ride motocross and really don't care for quads. So i guess i still have some dignity left.
    The emt's wanted to check out my vitals before we headed back to the house. I was expecting to get chewed out by them for being that guy but they were incredibly nice and understanding!! I will be dropping some beer off there next time i head out to buffalo creek.
    Woke up on saturday hydrated and had another great ride in buffalo creek.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450
    Has anyone done this ride before? I would love to hear someone else's experience with this ride. Hopefully better than mine!!
    http://tinyurl.com/688nfu

And do a search in the forum as well. It's a popular ride.

Denver Lowlife
    Well, the good news is my car was ok in the lot all weekend.

mtbr member
    Being "That Guy" almost always leads to the best stories.

hikebike-bagpeak
    [QUOTE=cbrock450]Has anyone done this ride before? I would love to hear someone else's experience with this ride. Hopefully better than mine!!
    We rented a cabin in buffalo creek and my friend mapped out a ride from waterton canyon to buffalo creek. He told me that the map said around 30 miles. We have ridden tons of rides at buffalo creek and 30 mile rides have been fairly easy.He figured it would take about 3-4 hours, i did not double check his calculations, i just said i would ride it.

So how many miles was it then to Buffalo Creek? I've done 33 round trip from waterton to some intersection (gravel road) and back, but would like to go further at some point.
    Everyone dies, but not everyone lives.
    www.radtrek.com/blog.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Its just under 28 miles from the waterton canyon parking lot to deckers road, of course you can continue even further. Lots and lots of climbing after the gravel road down by the platte river

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=fattirefanatic]
    We rented a cabin in buffalo creek and my friend mapped out a ride from waterton canyon to buffalo creek. He told me that the map said around 30 miles. We have ridden tons of rides at buffalo creek and 30 mile rides have been fairly easy.He figured it would take about 3-4 hours, i did not double check his calculations, i just said i would ride it.

So how many miles was it then to Buffalo Creek? I've done 33 round trip from waterton to some intersection (gravel road) and back, but would like to go further at some point.

Waterton to Lake Wellington is 40 miles.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Awesome trip report! Glad you didn't die.

You left at 5pm from Waterton? That is completely NUTS. You should've asked questions here BEFORE you left.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Awesome trip report! Glad you didn't die.

You left at 5pm from Waterton? That is completely NUTS. You should've asked questions here BEFORE you left.
    We wanted to do a partial night ride and it was suppose to be a 3 hour ride, here is the scary part, my buddy went on mtbr to get a good idea how long the ride would be

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    We wanted to do a partial night ride and it was suppose to be a 3 hour ride, here is the scary part, my buddy went on mtbr to get a good idea how long the ride would be
    And someone indicated it would be a 3 hour ride?

Yappy little dog!
    So? Everything on MTBR is true, even 46 MPG Subarus.

Riding time is a very varied thing. One persons quick loop is another persons epic. You are going mostly uphill for nearly 30 miles. Three hours sounds awfully ambitious.

Denver Lowlife
    CB, you neglected to mention all of the tequila and Tecate consumed the night before.

For the record, 4 hours didn't seem too far fetched. As a matter of fact, the total riding time was a tad under 4 hours (thank you, Garmin.)

He11, the last 5 miles only took 30 minutes (it helps if you're riding in constant fear that your light is about to die and you'll be eaten by a mountain lion at any given moment.)

If we hadn't drunk all that booze, we might not have stopped so many times!

Denver Lowlife
    Oh... also:

Total ascent: 4705
    Total descent: 3436

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    We did not drink that much! Always blaming it on the booze. or chicks....

mtbr member
    In May we started at the road between Bailey and Wellington Lake where it intersects with the Colorado Trail and headed east for Waterton. I had figured out a ride profile and we figured that going West to East would be the easiest with roughly 5,500 ft. of climbing as opposed to roughly 8,500 ft of climbing in approx. 40+miles. We had added the Green Mtn. loop in the mix as well, though our group got seperated by then and some rode the GM loop and some stayed on the CT altogether. As for the details of the whole ride you would have to ask Steadyflow, since he was one of the 5 that actually finished. If he says he rode 40 miles, you can believe him. They finished, I believe in around 6-7 hours. As for me, right from the parking lot I started feeling weak and by the time I got to the top of Green Mtn I could barely stand up, pedal or think straight. I mean I was totally exhausted despite having hydrated and electrolyted myself for days prior. Nothing, not even eating helped, so after 7 miles in I had to bail. Took me forever to get back to my vehicle, which I ended up crashing on the way home. Now I've been diagnosed with a heart rate problem called SVT (supra ventricular tachycardia) and have been on a heart medication to keep my heart rate from going to high and staying there, causing me to black out. So far so good as I am making sure I ride with a heart rate monitor from now on.
    Peace out and stay cool!