Thread: Waterton Canyon

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Waterton Canyon

Has anyone been up to Waterton Canyon in the last week? I was thinking about heading up there mid day but was wondering if anyone had updated trail conditions. Let me know. Thanks,

Stayin' Puft
    Was back there with torkima last sunday. The road was fine with some snow patches. The climb up to Lenny's was pretty ridable with a few snow/ice patches in the shadier areas. We rode Roxborough Loop...it was doable but some very sketchy walk-the-ice sections were included, and certainly there will be some mud as the weather warms back in the marshy/meadow area. We had set out to do some of the CO trail, which turned into a real nice snow hike just past the bear creek crossings...beautiful day back there but not the best conditions for riding. I will be sticking to trails with more sun exposure for the next month or so, I am sure Rox is a little better today but not much with the temps and tree cover back on most of the singletrack.

Tribe member
    I was up there today and like canyonrat said...the road up is fine. I got up about two miles on the climb to Lenny's but had a few sketchy ice spots where I just kept falling so turned around and booked it back down. Was a beautiful day for riding though!

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I have all of next week off. Was thinking about riding Waterton Canyon with a couple of friends. Would we be able to make it to Lenny's Rest (if it doesn't snow at all in the next week)? Anyone have any idea on the conditions up there?

Chronic 1st-timer
    Good to go as of y-day.
    Picked up some mud looping out through Roxborough, but nothing too horrible.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

Stayin' Puft
    Heck, I rode the Indian Creek loop yesterday. Had to walk some icy patches between the 2 creek crossings, and ride a buncha snow on the jeep road down the return side, but lots of sweet singletrack is dry and fine back there. I was early morning though so anything not melted off was still firm.

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Awesome thanks for the beta. Now I just have to pray that winter has given up for the year.