mtbr member
    Apr 2004

The water in Waterton

I didn't steal this ride, I actually drove from Westminster to do it. Therefore, this ride cost me $10 in gas ( ) Beautiful day, storms weren't becoming threatening yet. There's some of you who haven't ridden Waterton Canyon yet but the first six miles are an easy railroad grade suitable for beginners. Easy and scenic.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:07 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

The singletrack starts at about six miles (near Strontia Springs Dam)

and is really sweet. You can just keep going on the Colorado Trail to Durango if you want. I turned around at Lenny's Rest at a little over 8 miles.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:07 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member

I love Waterton Canyon!

Here are a few pictures I took recently. I even have a picture of the same point on the trail as xcguy lol. I took a picture of "Lenny's rest" and included it. Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1991 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    2012 Specialized Carve Comp

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Rockin' the old skool bike! Nice bar-ends.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I wondered if you'd think that blue one was mine!

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    I was actually on my Turner Burner. I just threw in the shot of the old skool rides to give the beginners in the audience the hope that their vintage relics could handle Waterton.

edit: oh yeah, that other guy's gray bike...again, anyone with any bike whatsoever can find something they will like on this trail. Check out the head tube on the blue bike.

Up at Lenny's Rest a couple of strong looking riders came up and we talked about the coming storms. They were headed out for a 5 hour 40+ mile ride...did I think it'd thunderstorm on them? Oh, yeah I said. I looked over to my right to see a 250 lb guy on a hardtail puffing up to the top...again! I said, doood, how many times? He smiled and said three times today!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Nice pictures!!! Forgot how nice it is up there.That blue bike with the funky headtube is that a gary fisher?

Dave

mtbr member

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Thanks! They are some 'ol TOPO brand bar-ends on my "91 Rockhopper.
    1991 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    2012 Specialized Carve Comp