Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

want to hang out with a Kentucky boy?

I'm heading to Denver for a business conference and while I'm out there I plan to hit Summit County for some joyriding for a few days, should be there starting the night of September 21. I may go to Aspen for a half marathon the morning of the 22nd, but I'll probably enter the Salomon Six in Frisco that morning, unless I find something better to do. Otherwise, I'm free. I love hanging around downtown Breckenridge and hitting the brewery so I'd like to do that at night. During the day I plan to ride, hike, trail run, or whatever. Right now I'm planning on camping just to keep costs down. I am 31, a middle-of-the-pack sport rider typically, but we don't live at 9,000+ feet either and don't climb 5,000+ feet in 20 miles, so if you're an expert racer I'd probably just make you mad. I've brought one of my bikes out there before but it would be too expensive ($160) and too much of a PITA for the 3 days I'll be there so when I ride I'll probably just rent a Jamis Dakar in Frisco. I've ridden the Peaks Trail, Burro Trail, Part of the Colorado Trail, Gold Hill Trail, and would like to do some of those again if I'm by myself, but I'm up for suggestions if I have other folks around. I've heard Vail Pass is cool but I don't know anything about it. Anyway, if you want some company, I'll be in Frisco or someplace similar the night of September 21 through noon or so on the 24th. Holler at me if you want. I won't have much time and I want to maximize my stay, would be nice to have a guide and somebody to talk to. Did I mention I like Colorado microbreweries?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Funny... nobody likes riding in Breckenridge in September, especially after the article in Mountain Bike Magazine on pages 55-57 this month? Where I come from, even though there are nowhere near the amount of riders as there are out there, we go out of our way to accommodate folks from out of town and make sure they have somebody to ride with on our humble trails. Is the rest of the country not as friendly? Nevermind, I'll just go by myself.

Card Carrying Member
    I can't speak for the rest of these ppl, but I don;t have a whole lot of desire to ride up that way. I'd be happy to ride with ya down closer to the front range though. Maybe a shuttled point to point or something. Oh, btw, I'm from KY originally.

I ride with tools

I guess.....

... no one told you, you have to be part of the cool "in" crowd of Colorado uber-mtnbikers to be offered a coveted spot in one of their rides. But at least you won't have some idiot yelling at you "don't touch my bike"!

Quote Originally Posted by corndogggy
    Funny... nobody likes riding in Breckenridge in September, especially after the article in Mountain Bike Magazine on pages 55-57 this month? Where I come from, even though there are nowhere near the amount of riders as there are out there, we go out of our way to accommodate folks from out of town and make sure they have somebody to ride with on our humble trails. Is the rest of the country not as friendly? Nevermind, I'll just go by myself.

Your retarded
    LOL. This thread is funny. Before you guys jump to conclusions about the personalities of the front range riders, you may want to consider a few points...
    • The 21st is still a fair ways away. I'd recommend bumping this thread again in a week or so when people begin making plans for the upcoming weekends. I've noticed that most front range rides are organized at the last minute. For them to plan this far in advance is a rarity.
    • By the time you are coming out, a good portion have already had their fill of high altitude riding for the summer. It's about the same time when the focus shifts to the lower elevation stuff or trips to warmer areas that aren't worth riding in the summer heat.
    • Breckenridge isn't an afternoon out and back drive from the front range cities. It takes more time driving than will likely be spent riding. Plus, I'm sure many are turned off by the cost driving upto Breck, riding for a couple hours, throwing back some expensive pints... just to make the relatively expensive return trip home late in the evening.
    • IMO, you are asking us to cater to your schedule, which is somewhat understandable given your reason for travel, but if you set a concrete time and location, receiving interest is more likely... however, you may have already lost some interest by jumping the gun and generalizing that we're all unfriendly. You were somewhat correct. Most of us are *******s.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

e-misanthrope
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Most of us are *******s.
    Pffftt... whatever, I hadn't responded yet because I was waiting for him to post his VO2 stats - along with his drop / gap resume.

Don't waive your rights with your flags.

skillz to pay billz
    I'm just going to go ahead and say it. I won't be anywhere near breck that weekend.

Thread Terrorist
    Most of the colorado Micro Brewery's aren't Micro anymore. There's that horse piss call fat tire (Everyone but Coloradans like it), and when you can find it in new Jersey, it ain't micro any more than coors.

Stop by for a GCB, get a growler on your way up.

In my opinion, the dates you mention would be ripe for Kenosha-Georgia-breck with the trees turning.

You can always pedal up Keystone and pick one of the new lines down.

What ever you do, pedal hard, go fast, and pull up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sorry for the smart-a$$ tone... I found a guy in Aspen that I was going to meet up with and camp for the weekend and spent the past several days planning everything with him and changing my schedule and reservations, then he bailed. I was just ticked at that and the fact that I couldn't find another single soul who was even halfway interested off of several sites. I'll post again the weekend before my trip or something. Thanks.

I guess I need a geography lesson too... I thought Summit County was still considered part of the Front Range? I don't know where else to go. I know that place is kick-a$$ and I'm familiar with it so that's where I picked. If I'm probably going to be by myself, I don't want to be lost the whole time.

As for the Fat Tire Ale... New Jersey has it? I thought they couldn't ship it east of the Mississippi River? We have a fat tire fest in southern Illinois every year and some guys insist on a keg of it, but we have to get somebody from St. Louis to pick it up. They're like stuck in between a microbrewery and a big giant brewery, and American distribution laws are limiting them to west of the Mississippi River last time I checked. I don't drink that stuff anyway... I do very much like Breckenridge Brewery though, especially the Trademark and Vanilla Porter. It's my lifelong goal and dream to own a microbrewery similar to the one in Breck. Wynkoop is within half a mile from my hotel in Denver so I'm going to try that out. There's a few others that close as well but I can't remember any other than Rock Bottom, which is good, at least in other cities, but a microbrewery chain kind of defeats the purpose.

skillz to pay billz
    I've been enjoying new Belgium trippel lately

Thread Terrorist
    I guess I need a geography lesson too... I thought Summit County was still considered part of the Front Range? I don't know where else to go. I know that place is kick-a$$ and I'm familiar with it so that's where I picked. If I'm probably going to be by myself, I don't want to be lost the whole time.
    Yo, I'm just poking fun at our well known beer. We do have great brewery's all over the place. Just head east into the midwest and you'll (or I) can quickly appreciate what is offered in Colorado.

Summit County isn't really part of the front range (Although part of the forum). It is only 45 minutes of a drive west, however. Aspen is closer to a 3 or hour drive.

There are tons of places to bike in Summit, and many of them stellar. I'm a bit worried that the cooler weather will hit quick this year. We're exiting the 90's from yesterday and heading into a week of 70 tops. If I were you, keep your options open, and look around in Durango and possibly Fruita at that time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Aspen is closer to a 3 or hour drive.

If I were you, keep your options open, and look around in Durango and possibly Fruita at that time.

Yeah I've given up on Aspen. That half marathon sounded nice, but I'd be so wiped out that the rest of the weekend would be shot, plus I'd be on the road an extra 4 hours round trip as compared to Frisco/Breck. I'd like to say that I've seen it though.

Durango would be nice, my grandparents lived there until a few years ago, but isn't that more like 8 hours from Denver? I'm not sure I have time. I mainly want to see some colorful trees if possible, never seen the leaves change in the mountains, so I may do some easy but scenic rides, like Boreas Pass.

I found out that I can ship my bike via UPS for about $35 each way so I've got a Haro Werx XLS with Crossmax wheels that I'll be on. Should be alot better than the beater Dakar's in Frisco.

The previous tree statement reminded me... I have no idea how it's possible, but I actuallly have aspen trees in my yard in Kentucky.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Most of us are *******s. [/LIST]
    Hell, I just stopped reading when he said he was going to start the day with a half-marathon. I've got plenty of opportunities to get passed by locals, no need to bring in an out-of-towner to make me feel more out of shape.

I'm a unitard!
    Most of the colorado Micro Brewery's aren't Micro anymore. There's that horse piss call fat tire (Everyone but Coloradans like it), and when you can find it in new Jersey, it ain't micro any more than coors.
    Oh sure they are. Just because they aren't in a backyard like Golden City doesn't make them not Micro. Go by Great Divide and take a tour (I think they just tapped a keg of Titan brewed with a Belgian yeast strain). To me they are the epitome of micro/craft brew.

New Belgium makes plenty of great brews other than Fat Tire. Buy a bottle of La Folie.

Let's see. What else is there? Ska, Avery, Boulder Beer, Oskar Blues, Fort Collins Brewing, Odell, Bristol, etc.

Numerous brewpubs and small guys. Dry Dock, Bull and Bush, Wynkoop, etc, etc.

Anyway, I'm sure you know all of this. I just saw a raging debate about Fat Tire, so that is probably the reason for my lengthy response.

To the OP, of the beer available around Breck. Breck Brewery probably makes the lesser beer. Try Backcountry, Dillon Dam, or Pug Ryan's. Or try many of the ones that are along the drive up. My suggestion would be Great Divide. It's in Downtown Denver and just a short jaunt of off 70. Golden City (in Golden just in case you didn't catch that) makes one of my favorite IPAs. I think it ranks up there with the likes of Stone's IPA and Great Divide's IPA.

skillz to pay billz
    new belgium featured in inc.com. I guess 'craft beer' would be a better way to put it.

http://www.inc.com/magazine/20061101...tegrators.html

I'm a unitard!
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    I've been enjoying new Belgium trippel lately
    I think the Mothership Wit is my current NB favorite. I don't usually like wheat beers that much either. It sort of reminds me of Sunshine before they started filtering it. 1554 has been rearing it's head in more bars. Great stuff. And as mentioned above, La Folie is always a favorite.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Great Divide beats all others if you like IPA.

Yappy little dog!

Stop by for a GCB, get a growler on your way up.

In my opinion, the dates you mention would be ripe for Kenosha-Georgia-breck with the trees turning.

You can always pedal up Keystone and pick one of the new lines down.

What ever you do, pedal hard, go fast, and pull up.
    Ain't no Fat Tire in NJ, plus NJ has Flying Fish and Victory (another bike friendly brewer). Now that's a great micro. If you're real nice, I'll bring some back for you when I go to pick up the family.

As for GCB... I am sorry but I just don't see the dig draw. Granted, I've only had one but I kind of like Fat Tire better than whatever their red ale was called. Maybe I have to try the others.

I'm a unitard!
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Ain't no Fat Tire in NJ, plus NJ has Flying Fish and Victory (another bike friendly brewer). Now that's a great micro. If you're real nice, I'll bring some back for you when I go to pick up the family.

As for GCB... I am sorry but I just don't see the dig draw. Granted, I've only had one but I kind of like Fat Tire better than whatever their red ale was called. Maybe I have to try the others.
    We recently got some of the Victory here in CO. I think there stuff is ok. Their IPAs are on the simple side. Straight bitter. No malt backbone. HOWEVER, Prima Pils is one fine beer.

I'm a unitard!
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers

Oh yeah. GCB? The red is good. Not great. Pale is ok. Definitely not great. IPA is outstanding. Belgian Pale is really good especially when they make it a touch sour. Black Currant Ale is good. The Wit is good. Barley wine? I'm still undecided. I had it fresh and wasn't too impressed. I've got two bottles cellaring. They are about a year old now, so I'll give one of those a try now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbfool
    To the OP, of the beer available around Breck. Breck Brewery probably makes the lesser beer. Try Backcountry, Dillon Dam, or Pug Ryan's.
    I've been to BackCountry Brewery several times. Mostly went back on my bike trip in 2005. It was great because we could get sloshed on some Peak One Porter there then ride our bikes back to Peak One campground. We terrorized the frisbee golf course at about 20 mph a couple times. Also went there this winter but they changed it up, the downstairs was converted into some kind of crafts and antique store, and the upstairs seemed snootier, didn't seem as laid back and casual as it used to be. Maybe it was just those darned ski tourists.

I did notice that the Denver group at meetin.org is planning to do the Sourdough Trail that Saturday morning. Is that trail worth the effort or should I just stay in Breck?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I guess the most fun I've had with beer in Colorado is at the Keystone Bluegrass and Beer festival. Being from rural Kentucky you know I'm into bluegrass, plus 30 microbreweries from all over Colorado was there. I absolutely had the time of my life. Marty Jones is a riot there.

I'm a unitard!
    I've been to BackCountry Brewery several times. Mostly went back on my bike trip in 2005. It was great because we could get sloshed on some Peak One Porter there then ride our bikes back to Peak One campground. We terrorized the frisbee golf course at about 20 mph a couple times. Also went there this winter but they changed it up, the downstairs was converted into some kind of crafts and antique store, and the upstairs seemed snootier, didn't seem as laid back and casual as it used to be. Maybe it was just those darned ski tourists.

I did notice that the Denver group at meetin.org is planning to do the Sourdough Trail that Saturday morning. Is that trail worth the effort or should I just stay in Breck?
    I was wondering what that was about. I was there last fall and it was still downstairs. I went back a few weeks ago and it was upstairs. Craft store is gone. I always sit at the bar. Still laid back there.

I would say Sourdough is worth it. Can't really go wrong with any of the trails here in CO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Oh, and as for Dillon Dam Brewery, I haven't been there, but I've had their beer at Keystone. Check out the picture below, the guy in the vest with the pitcher partying like crazy works there:

http://www.metropolislakeoutfitters....20festival.jpg

At the end of the festival they made the brewers stop serving from the kegs, but that guy kept going back one pitcher at a time to keep our glasses full while the band kept playing. What a hero.

I'm a unitard!
    I guess the most fun I've had with beer in Colorado is at the Keystone Bluegrass and Beer festival. Being from rural Kentucky you know I'm into bluegrass, plus 30 microbreweries from all over Colorado was there. I absolutely had the time of my life. Marty Jones is a riot there.
    That is definitely a good time. This is a picture of me and one of my best friends at this year's fest.

yeti.JPG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast