Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Walker times?

Old, stale, negative

Walker times?

What's your best walker CW time? It took me a year to break the hour mark on a SS. Just wondering how low some of you sickos have gone.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by bstrick
    What's your best walker CW time? It took me a year to break the hour mark on a SS. Just wondering how low some of you sickos have gone.
    Its an old thread, but check this for some relavent information on Walker times:

Thread Linky

Old, stale, negative

Nice...

Thanks Jdub. Just what I was looking for. I guess my 59 min lap isn't as impressive as I'd thought.

mtbr member
    the only part I've timed lately was the climb up from Chautauqua to TH: 72 minutes for the first shot at it this season. Still need much improvement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I have to warn you

As soon as you all start comparing times up or around certain trails, someone is going to take offense and call you all a bunch of dorks for even thinking of comparing best times. With that in mind, I've never broken an hour and don't even know which loop around Walker you're talking about. Parking at the Meyers Gulch lot, down counterclock, up the doubletrack past the portage to the creek then back up the dirt road to Meyers again for me is around 1:20.

OK, "best time haters", flame on.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    i made it in 42 minutes on a fixie with square wheels.

..ouch
    Last time it took me about 17 hours and 32 minutes, give or take an hour.

I need to get one of those fancy electronic rpm / heart rate / vO2 max / sperm count / blood pressure doohickeys so I can really get the training regimen dialed.

Too busy looking good
    Last time I rode Walker I almost accidentally made it down the cliff in 2.8 seconds. Does this count for anything?

Goofing off?
    I get the Walker Times delivered to my door step every Monday thru Sat. The best time was when I read it out on the front porch wearing only my boxers while sipping on some hot Joe. Wait, who is hot Joe? I ment hot coffee.
    Last edited by Intenserider2; 05-15-2008 at 02:52 PM.

skillz to pay billz
    I walked Walker in about 4 hours last sunday

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

From town...

Nick, Miguel and I rode from Baseline/Broadway up to Walker, around the loop counterclockwise, and back to B/B in ~2:30 a couple of weeks ago. I think the loop took about 50 min of that. I imagine it's faster going clockwise, though, since the climbing is a bit less steep due to the uphill hike, rather than downhill. But I generally don't ride it CW, so I'm not sure.

It's worth noting that Nick could easily have put 3-4 minutes into me on the loop. I bonked (um, yeah, I haven't been riding much...) and couldn't turn the 34x20 over anymore on the last steep climb up to the overlook.

There used to be a "Boulder Bike records" website, but I can't remember the URL anymore.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

tiny rider
    Bill Wright has what I think you are referring to. The old list is here:

http://www.wwwright.com/climbing/spe...rbikerides.htm

http://www.wwwright.com/ and some clicking might get you some updated info, but it's harder to find.

I actually had a pretty fast time (for me) last year on the Super Walker. I was on my monster-x bike, though, so I was fast on the pavement and just suffered through the dirt loop (CW seems faster with poor traction) in 65 minutes. I think a rigid MTB with minimal tread tires would probably be ideal.

Old, stale, negative
    I love you guys. Ask an innocent question and get nothing short of pure entertainment. Thanks. Square wheels are useless without sand paper grips.
    P.S. Brakes just slow you down!

WWJR

"little" off topic but...

i keep thinkn of Marks comment when the Walker Topic came up... laughed my azz off!

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark
    The first time I rode Walker, I did it clockwise. About halfway through I was ready to sell the bike and buy a Nintendo system

Just go ride!

FKTs

Quote Originally Posted by cartographer
    Bill's record page is sadly out-of-date as he hasn't added times to it for a few years now. Also, his "self-add" php code is broken, so people don't have the freedom to upload their own FKTs anymore. He calls them FKTs for "Fastest Known Time", as there really is no way to keep an official record of times, start locations vary, and it is primarily up to the honesty of the reporting individual. It's still fun to browse his pages though and see how "hard" some of the times are. Scott Eliot's 23m40s for Superflag just seems ridiculous!! And Dave Mackey has round-tripped the 1st Flatiron from Chautauqua in 33m19s! That's absolutely amazing!

I'm on his page for a couple of times that are 1.) already outdated by my own newer PRs, and 2.) are likely way too slow for the true FKT with all the really fast riders around here. One of these days, I'd like to revive his records page with local MTB trails and hills.

My best time for Walker was last year going CCW in 47m17s. My best time for SuperWalker (Chautaqua-to-Chautauqua) was also last year for 2h10m39s. This is likely quite comparable to Walt/Nick/Miguel's 2h30m from Baseline/Broadway. And, yes, I know I'm a dork for keeping track of all these, but since I don't do many "official" races, it's the best way I have of seeing how I am stacking up to the other Expert/Semi-Pro/Pro level riders out there. Anyway, I think SuperWalker will go in under 2 hours! Anyone want to go try sometime with me? Some friendly competition frequently means a much faster FKT!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -TJ

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hello all stumbled upon the post and

Today my friend Brian and I rocked a SuperWalker from Chautauqua in 2:01.15. Fairly certain we could have gotten under the two hour mark by pushing a couple sections we chatted on. We had the loop done in 49min counting the hike a bike.

I was riding my medium 08 Fisher Paragon 29er, it's a fairly stock build with the Fox Fork, LX cranks and X9 shifting. I did upgrade to the crossmaxx 29er's with Pythons and love them. It could be much lighter but I don't have the cash for that.

Brian was rocking a demo carbon 29er Superfly. That thing was a rocket ship as I spent most of the day chasing his wheel. I hope he doesn't buy it!! (i will be chasing alot).

We finished the ride properly by hitting up Bova's for some killer frozen Custard.

I ride SuperWalker 2 times a week, usually solo and had NO IDEA that my times were comparatively fast. I usually am between 2 hours-2:20 depending on if I push it or not. I am pretty sure I have never done it under 2. I raced some sport and expert a few years ago but since becoming a Dad haven't raced in two years....just ride and have fun.

If anyone wants to go for a sub 2 hour push I would definately be in....as long as we hit the Southern Sun afterwards to rehydrate!!
    Let the good times roll!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blaise
    I ride SuperWalker 2 times a week

Rolling
    Wow, I would be fine just finishing superwalker and being able to drink a beer after, let alone trying to set some crazy time.

Have fun boyz.

Old, stale, negative
    Hello all stumbled upon the post and

Today my friend Brian and I rocked a SuperWalker from Chautauqua in 2:01.15. Fairly certain we could have gotten under the two hour mark by pushing a couple sections we chatted on. We had the loop done in 49min counting the hike a bike.

I was riding my medium 08 Fisher Paragon 29er, it's a fairly stock build with the Fox Fork, LX cranks and X9 shifting. I did upgrade to the crossmaxx 29er's with Pythons and love them. It could be much lighter but I don't have the cash for that.

Brian was rocking a demo carbon 29er Superfly. That thing was a rocket ship as I spent most of the day chasing his wheel. I hope he doesn't buy it!! (i will be chasing alot).

We finished the ride properly by hitting up Bova's for some killer frozen Custard.

I ride SuperWalker 2 times a week, usually solo and had NO IDEA that my times were comparatively fast. I usually am between 2 hours-2:20 depending on if I push it or not. I am pretty sure I have never done it under 2. I raced some sport and expert a few years ago but since becoming a Dad haven't raced in two years....just ride and have fun.

If anyone wants to go for a sub 2 hour push I would definately be in....as long as we hit the Southern Sun afterwards to rehydrate!!

I have a 5 year old and should be light years ahead of you but damn, that's fast. Still though, it's hard to imagine Walker in under 50 after struggling to beat a hour. I'd "try" to pull a super walker with and buy the sodas at the sun if I could keep up. PM me and I'll give it a go. Training for Breck 100 or bust SS.

mtbr member

speaking of superflag

when i worked up at CU a couple of year ago, i joined a colleague of mine for his 600th(!) lunchtime ascent up flagstaff (roadie). he's been working on campus forever, and rides just about everyday of the year (poorman's, east boulder, etc... keeps a notebook). probably the only guy i know w/ more miles than slowerthensnot. right before i left he had knee surgery so a bunch of his co-workers pitched in and bought him a new triple crankset for his vintage ride.

[SIZE="1"]all this talk of walker... i may have to test out the ankle recovery up there tomorrow.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan_G
    It's still fun to browse his pages though and see how "hard" some of the times are. Scott Eliot's 23m40s for Superflag just seems ridiculous!!
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Just go ride!
    A SuperWalker TT followed by beers at the Sun. Sounds like perfection to me!

How about Monday or Thursday night? 5:30ish? I'll see if I can round up a few more riders interested in cracking 2 hours. That oughtta hurt pretty decently just trying...
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. -TJ

Just go ride!

SuperWalker TT

Meeting some buddies for this exact plan at 5pm at Chautauqua on Thursday. Probably start pedaling 10 or 15 after. Come join us if you'd like! I'll be the sweaty guy on a Moots 29er and I'll prolly need 2 or 3 beers to rehydrate properly.

tiny rider
    Have a fast trip!

I rode a SSuperWalker lap today and all I can say is 'Ouch' I was pegging my heart rate (aka. fun meter) the entire climb up Flagstaff. First time there on the SS and it suits pretty well if your legs aren't too burnt.

OT: I'm pretty new to the SS thing and have a question.

While I was able to grind my way up the Flagstaff road section with the steep switchback to straight hill below the upper overlook, I was turning 20-30 rpm and after that my legs were pretty cooked the rest of the ride. (I ended up walking up the pavement on the way back up to the top of Flagstaff.) Does it make more sense to walk at times like that and save your legs, or should I just get stronger and suck it up?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cartographer
    Have a fast trip!

I rode a SSuperWalker lap today and all I can say is 'Ouch' I was pegging my heart rate (aka. fun meter) the entire climb up Flagstaff. First time there on the SS and it suits pretty well if your legs aren't too burnt.

OT: I'm pretty new to the SS thing and have a question.

While I was able to grind my way up the Flagstaff road section with the steep switchback to straight hill below the upper overlook, I was turning 20-30 rpm and after that my legs were pretty cooked the rest of the ride. (I ended up walking up the pavement on the way back up to the top of Flagstaff.) Does it make more sense to walk at times like that and save your legs, or should I just get stronger and suck it up?
    I'd say just get stronger. I've been SS'ing it for 3 yrs now and it took me a few rides to find the comfort zone between standing/sitting/powering. Climbs like Flag & White Ranch are just rough regardless of your gearing. Keep at it...

mtbr member

Gotta ride it!

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head
    I'd say just get stronger. I've been SS'ing it for 3 yrs now and it took me a few rides to find the comfort zone between standing/sitting/powering. Climbs like Flag & White Ranch are just rough regardless of your gearing. Keep at it...
    What he said. Kuddos for doing that ride on the single. That section below the last overlook is brutal on the 1x1, but you can get fit in about a week doing it. Just think of all the points you earn over the frat boys driving up in their SUVs!

Magnolia on the single is another fun one!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast