mtbr member
    Apr 2004

The Walker Report

In a word, tackygoodness. No snow. Hit it while it's still not too dry and loose. In fact, it was almost like cheating having the traction so good coming up from that first bridge going counterclockwise. Or the second bridge, past the portage, up that steep double track. This time it was just a grunt without having to worry about spinning out. Haven't had that experience there in a long long time.

Here's one little tech section that I've ridden many times in the past and failed miserably a whole lot more. I checked it out this time and wondered how I ever made it. I sessioned it 15 times the last time I made it...this time I just pushed my bike through.

Where does that little singletrack go (when you get up to the upper parking lot)?

More lost stuff. Hope the rider's crank didn't fall off.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:07 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

More pics

I've never liked that portage down to the creek (I don't portage up because that would mean I'd miss the joy of climbing up what used to be called "Columbine"--now it's just part of the Walker Ranch Loop Trail). Every biker I saw had come down "Columbine". It was fun going up this time because of the traction. Am I the only who climbs this section?

A beautiful day, a beautiful ride. Nice to do all the grinding up steep chit with the temps in the 60s and not the 90s like what's coming this summer. Notice how mud-free my tires are in these pics.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

!Vamos, flaco!
    Did you do Super Walker or drive?
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I drove to the main lot

Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    Did you do Super Walker or drive?
    Even when I had knees that worked fine I never did Super Walker. Two guys on hardtails that passed me going the other way on the trail were headed back down Flagstaff as I was driving home. They looked like they could turn around and do it again!

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Even when I had knees that worked fine I never did Super Walker. Two guys on hardtails that passed me going the other way on the trail were headed back down Flagstaff as I was driving home. They looked like they could turn around and do it again!
    It's a long climb up Super Flag, especially on a mountain bike.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member

thanks for the report

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Here's one little tech section that I've ridden many times in the past and failed miserably a whole lot more. I checked it out this time and wondered how I ever made it. I sessioned it 15 times the last time I made it...this time I just pushed my bike through.
    i used to always try to go right, and more often than not get "stuck" making that tight turn between the rocks... last time (last fall-ish) i went high-side (left) and right up & over.
    now my preferred line.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Going right never worked for me

Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    i used to always try to go right, and more often than not get "stuck" making that tight turn between the rocks... last time (last fall-ish) i went high-side (left) and right up & over.
    now my preferred line.
    The only times I made it I just went straight up the middle. Hitting pedals was the only thing that would keep me from making it...easy to say because all I'd have to do is hit one pedal and that was it. I've heard of peeps going far left but never saw anybody do it.