mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Walker Ranch - WTF?

OK, yeah, this is a ***** session.

I tried to ride Walker Sunday afternoon. It was the third ride there this season, and I've noticed the same thing each time.

There are WAY more hikers there all of a sudden. And the hikers are not all your pack and hiking boots types. Many are families and other large groups (church groups maybe?) in flip flops with yappy little dogs. Just clearly not the outdoors type. Did someone publish a book or magazine article suggesting that people take Aunt Jane and her family of fat kids from Iowa up there when they are visiting, or what? I was trying to take the "technical" line down to the creek on the south side, and an entire extended family complete with snack sized dogs was sitting on the rocks in the trail. When I came down, I dismounted, of course, said "Excuse me", and stood there....and stood there....and stood there, while they just kind of looked at me in wonderment. I finally had to politely ask them to move so I could get by. Jeeez. Us.

Add to that the fly fishermen, rock climbers and the usual riders and "real" hikers, and it simply isn't worth going there on the weekend any more. And this was on the south side! I was just trying to get in a quick ride from Crescent Meadows. I can't even imagine what it looked like on the Flagstaff side?

What gives? Is it just that a critical mass has been reached and people are flooding the place, or is there some kind of public relations campaign to get people to go up there and hike even if they haven't walked a mile in the last 10 years?

Loser
    Mar 2008
    The trails near town have been getting more and more crowded every year while trail users are getting more and more clueless. Get used to it. Ride the popular trails during the week. Go to more obscure spots on the weekend. Problem solved.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yup. I've been riding White Ranch for the last 10 years and it seems over the last few years it's 10 hikers/trail runners to every 1 biker on the weekends. Maybe it's just more peeps moving here and the generation is more outdoorsy? I'm cool with it; I realize the trails are for multi-users but sometimes those trial runners that give me the 'tude for interrupting their pace for 2 seconds as I pass them grinds me..

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Damn it, you mean there are other people out there getting in you way?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Busy trails in *Boulder*, Colorado?? INCONCEIVABLE!!

MK_
    carpe mañana
    I'm sure it's still a lesser cluster than Betasso. The evil eyes you get there on Sunday from the hikers who want to own it are something else' someone should tell them to hike there on a Saturday and stay home on Sunday.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Free your heel...
    Don't they know that hiking anything under 13K feet is competely pointless?

mtbr member
    I'll play devil's advocate here...at least these people are getting out in some manner. If they sat home watching TV we'd make fun of them for that too. We probably need to provide better trail etiquette education through signage, bike/foot patrol etc.

The ultimate solution would be to build MTB specific trails...yeah..I won't hold my breath...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Grrunk View Post
    I'll play devil's advocate here...at least these people are getting out in some manner. If they sat home watching TV we'd make fun of them for that too.
    But at least they aren't bothering anyone else that way =D

I've had it happen a few times on Betasso when apparently it's like "Seniors Morning Out" early on Thursdays and there's probably 25 of them hiking in a group. Super super awesome they're doing it, but doing their hikes on Wednesday morning instead would just work so much better for ME. I mean golly, is it too much to ask that 30 other people I don't know plan their lives around what I want?

That's just the price we pay for Front Range living though.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Grrunk View Post
    I'll play devil's advocate here...at least these people are getting out in some manner. If they sat home watching TV we'd make fun of them for that too. We probably need to provide better trail etiquette education through signage, bike/foot patrol etc.
    Only on MTBR would the above quote be considered "playing devils advocate".

Plus, some people would argue that there are MTB specific trails at the ski areas. Otherwise the insinuation is MTBers can't get along with other trail users.

Anyway, like you say, I'm just glad that folks are getting out, traveling under their own power and enjoying the outdoors. That I may have to slow down or stop here and there just isn't that big of a deal.

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    I rode up for the first time this season via the newly opened Chapman connector on Thursday after work, and it was pretty empty. I saw about 6 other people on Walker and Homestead. Weather was absoluetely perfect, so i figured it would be crowded. I guess Thursday evening is a good time to go. Btw: although the Chapman connector is pretty boring, it's very scenic, I saw 0 other people, and was 100% better than dealing with traffic riding up Flagstaff, of course it dumps you out at the ampitheater turn off, so you still have the steepest part to go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    i'd be pissed too if I came across a group of people just camped out in the middle of a trail b/c they couldn't haul their fat asses to a proper/safe rest spot.

Walker ranch is already pretty interrupted riding as it is w/ the hike-a-bike...
    I feel your pain, especially if you were trying to do super walker.

I think betasso needs a MTB only day at least once a week. It should also be open on wednesdays...

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    To avoid the hike a bike start from the Pika trailhead, go ccw, then turn around and go cc awhen you hit the hike a bike. The trail is fun in both directions, and doing it both ways adds some distance to an otherwise short loop.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    that would be awesome if they could make a few more trails out that way to extend the length a bit. It's really short, especially if you ride all the way from boulder. There's tons of potential out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Back when I had knees, I'd bag as many 14ers as I could every summer. Returning to my truck, the "quality" of hikers starting out their hikes depended upon the time of day. Before noon, most of them had gear, backpacks, striding purposefully. Around 4 pm or later, invariably overweight with no water but a bag of Cheetos in each hand, wandering aimlessly up the trail, probably wishing they were anywhere else but hiking. Sprawled across the trail? They wouldn't have even known that was not proper hiking etiquette.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    more white people problems

are you people for real, looking down on others because their fat, in the way, don't have the right equipment, don't know the protocol for being on a trail during the busy times

you all sound like a bunch of azz wipes, read what you wrote, so when my mom can't get out of the way fast enough or doesn't know what to do and you wag your finger at her because she's not as core as you are, remember that everyone isn't as entitled as you are or as perfect

Colorado
    Sounds like OP should take up road biking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    INCONCEIVABLE!!
    "You keep saying this word, I do not think it means what you think it means.."

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I rode the Dots + West Mag + "South" Mag on Saturday, at noon, with beautiful weather...
    Saw 6 people in 41/2 hours...
    Walker Ranch - WTF?-1001792_10201165951329090_1277870096_n.jpg

Walker Ranch - WTF?-601925_10201169504417915_2093378489_n.jpg

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    BMA is pushing for an Eldorado Canyon connector, so you could ride from the Dowdy Draw area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Did the same ride on Friday (up Chapman, Walker, down Chapman), and it was great. Chapman is usually nearly totally empty. Ran into a few people at Walker, and a black bear. Weekdays are the way to go on the Front Range is you can swing 'em...

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Back when I had knees, I'd bag as many 14ers as I could every summer. Returning to my truck, the "quality" of hikers starting out their hikes depended upon the time of day. Before noon, most of them had gear, backpacks, striding purposefully. Around 4 pm or later, invariably overweight with no water but a bag of Cheetos in each hand, wandering aimlessly up the trail, probably wishing they were anywhere else but hiking. Sprawled across the trail? They wouldn't have even known that was not proper hiking etiquette.
    when i hiked mt quandrey a couple springs back i recall passing a group of indian fellows pretty early in the hike....probably ~6am. at least they knew to start around first light. anyways, hiked up...had a snack, hiked down. passed them going the other direction around treeline (they had made it about a mile in 2-3 hours), and one of them was carrying an unopened roll of kirkland toilet paper.

quite strange.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit View Post
    when i hiked mt quandrey a couple springs back i recall passing a group of indian fellows pretty early in the hike....probably ~6am. at least they knew to start around first light. anyways, hiked up...had a snack, hiked down. passed them going the other direction around treeline (they had made it about a mile in 2-3 hours), and one of them was carrying an unopened roll of kirkland toilet paper.

quite strange.
    I was riding Spring Brook. I passed a group of full-on Japanese hikers (ya know, talking in Japanese and whatnot). It started to rain. Eventually I turned around and passed them again. They all had their umbrellas out.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    I was riding Spring Brook. I passed a group of full-on Japanese hikers (ya know, talking in Japanese and whatnot). It started to rain. Eventually I turned around and passed them again. They all had their umbrellas out.
    I got assisted at Matthews Winters once by a Japanese tourist - had just dropped into the creek bed on Red Rocks trail when I passed a group of them. He hollered "Go go go go!!" and grabbed the back of my saddle and helped push me up the hill to the switchback. Hilarious....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Walker Ranch - WTF?

Thats well known as the "asian persuasion"