...master of none

Walker Ranch update - Thursday

Just rode Super Walker this morning. It was a bit cold, but warmed up pretty nicely. Probably 85% of the trail was bone dry, hard, and fast. The rest varied from packed snow to very slippery ice. Definitely worthwhile to ride now, anyway. I recommend early morning before the ice gets too slippery.

Sorry, no pics.

bock

Stupid and Dangerous
    Which way did you ride it and where were the sections of "very slippery ice"? I'd love to ride walker but I'd hate to be bombing down (technical term for: In control ridding and not spooking any hikers) some of the rolling singletrack and skip off the side

Thanks for the update
    Last edited by mango; 01-27-2005 at 10:35 AM.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by mango
    Which way did you ride it and where were the sections of "very slippery ice"? I'd love to ride walker but I'd hate to be bombing down (technical term for: In control ridding and not spooking any hikers) some of the rolling singletrack and skip of the side

Thanks for the update
    I rode it Saturday counter-clockwise from the South Boulder Creek Trailhead. The bad sections of ice were climbing from the creek towards the trailhead by the meadows.

Stupid and Dangerous
    bueno, hopefully the snow will stay away and I'll hit that this weekend (very wishful thinking)

...master of none
    Quote Originally Posted by mango
    Which way did you ride it and where were the sections of "very slippery ice"? I'd love to ride walker but I'd hate to be bombing down (technical term for: In control ridding and not spooking any hikers) some of the rolling singletrack and skip off the side

Thanks for the update
    To maximize the fun factor, I'd recommend counter-clockwise. The initial descent to the creek is almost 100% dry. The climb up to the other parking lot has some sections of snow/ice, but is still mostly dry. And the Crescent Meadows descent is also mostly dry. So this way you get your two descents without worrying too much about hitting a rogue patch of ice.

Continuing counter-clockwise after crossing the creek for the 2nd time, the normally loose fire road section is about as hardpacked as I've ever seen it, but the three short downhill sections are icy (and rideable since you're going downhill...don't touch the brakes). Climbing Columbine Gulch is really where you'll find the most ice, but a lot of it is still rideable there, too.

Enjoy!

bock

Perpetually single track
    Thks for the update Bock...chance are slim I can get over there before the upcoming possible snow though...damn.