Who said Punisher?

Walker Ranch Trail Reports needed this Spring

Hey everyone,
    BMA is working with the County to keep the walker ranch trail conditions up to date this spring. Every other area is easily covered and updated but Walker has been harder to keep up to date because of the location. What we need is folks who either live near the trail head and hike/run/bike it often or just anyone who does frequent that trail often here in the spring. You would work directly with the county to send in your trail reports which would then get posted on the trail conditions page. This would help keep the trail damage down and inform riders/hikers before they make the journey up and over to the TH. PM me if you want more info and who to contact.

Thanks!

skillz to pay billz
    how often is 'often'? I'm pretty much a weekly user once it's good to go

I can almost guarantee that there's still ice/mud on north facing/shady areas and good to go on all south facing. The stairs up were kinda sketchy with angled down ice. Last time I was there was 3-4 weeks ago and it was dry in the sun, sketchy ice or snow on the switchbacks and crusty snow on the road down to the river.

Who said Punisher?
    Well, for now they want to be able to update it once a week--usually have the report in by early Friday morning to get it posted for the weekend warriors. Once it is good to go...well then we really do not need the conditions (muddy etc..) report anymore! Obviously this week there is more mud since more is melting but someone needs to drop by, and run down the trail a little ways in both directions and just give a general report. Ex one below from the county web site...

Walker Ranch - Feb 29
    Meyers Homestead Trail - Fair - Trail is about 60-70% clear of snow, but still has long sections of packed snow and icy sections, mostly in low-lying areas, on north facing slopes and in forests. Long stretches of mud, especially near snow. Some significantly dry sections on south-facing trails.

Walker Ranch Link Trail- Fair - Trail is about 70-80% clear of snow, but still muddy on north-facing slopes, with snow in the trees. Fairly dry on south-facing areas.

Walker Ranch Loop - Fair to Poor - Counter-clockwise from the parking lot, the trail is Fair: dry most of the way; however the north-facing sections are still snow-packed and icy, surrounded by slick mud. Clockwise from parking lot is about 60% clear of snow, with snow-packed and icy sections prevalent. Dropping into Columbine Gulch, trail is Poor: about 40-60% snow-packed and icy, and remaining sections 80-90% muddy, with unstable footing and significant resource damage likely.
    Ethel Harrold Trail- Somewhat Fair, Mostly Poor - If not snow packed and icy, then slick and thick mud. Somewhat dry on south-facing sections.

Old, stale, negative
    For the price of jacking your Marshall thread I vow to help out. Walker is the trail I call home. As soon as I hit it again I'll post here? or where ever you say. I was there last 2 weeks ago and am sure that it should be left alone for another week or so. We rode on a lot of ice and snow. Fun but it needs time. Maybe 2 weeks?

skillz to pay billz
    not looking too pretty for the next few weeks. Still quite a bit of old ice in many parts plus whatever happens for the next day or so. 2" of fresh by the end of the ride at 5pm.

Who said Punisher?
    IF you really want to follow through with this, pm your email contact and name to me and I will send them to The county contact--he is super cool--just rode hall ranch with him saturday actually and had a blast. Thanks, John

Quote Originally Posted by bstrick
    For the price of jacking your Marshall thread I vow to help out. Walker is the trail I call home. As soon as I hit it again I'll post here? or where ever you say. I was there last 2 weeks ago and am sure that it should be left alone for another week or so. We rode on a lot of ice and snow. Fun but it needs time. Maybe 2 weeks?

Who said Punisher?
    Pm me your contact info so I can pass that to the county guy--he will work with you directly so that when you have an update, he can use it. Thanks, John

Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    how often is 'often'? I'm pretty much a weekly user once it's good to go

I can almost guarantee that there's still ice/mud on north facing/shady areas and good to go on all south facing. The stairs up were kinda sketchy with angled down ice. Last time I was there was 3-4 weeks ago and it was dry in the sun, sketchy ice or snow on the switchbacks and crusty snow on the road down to the river.

skillz to pay billz
    sent, thanks!

Old, stale, negative
    VAhardtail, I just PM'd that info.

skillz to pay billz
    More of the same at walker today. Still icy on the backside switchbacks and from crescent to the western river crossing. Some wet spots here and there. Dry on the exposed areas.

Dusting of snow at the end so we'll have to see how much we get tonight.

tiny rider
    So...where might we find those trail condition reports?

I'm thinking of a ride tomorrow and would appreciate any new beta on how the trail is developing.

Thanks!

D'oh! I just looked at the weather report. Maybe next month.

skillz to pay billz
    Hey, just finished a ride down there. things are are improving from the last time. Much less ice, a little wet. Totally ridable w/o trail damage unless it get really hot suddenly.

FYI. New snow isn't really sticking even up higher so this next wave should change too much.

skillz to pay billz

tiny rider
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby

Bookmarked for great justice!