mtbr member

Walker Ranch trail conditions

i was psyched to ride my first dirt of the season up here in Summit County, but the Frisco peninsula trails get old after a while.
    I'm coming down to Boulder this Sunday, and wanted the beta on trail conditions at both Betasso and Walker.

I'd like to think there isn't any snow left, but any info is helpful.

thanks.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    We actually got some snow last night, but its pretty much all gone by now. The trails looked a bit wet this morning, but the weather is supposed to be warmer and dry through the weekend so you should be good.

Haven't been to Walker lately, but Betasso has been powdery dry for some time.

contains quinine
    Both are too dry. The moisture last night will surely be all soaked up by this afternoon.

FYI - Betasso's closed to bikes Saturday.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

ride
    should be good. The snow we had last night will be all sucked up by then.

We were riding up to about 8800' last night - perfect dirt the whole time. Only came across one small patch of ice/snow but it was in an area that rarely sees sun.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Walker is perfect...

I've been riding walker regularly this season and it is as good as it gets right now! The slight bit of moisture in the dirt gives you the coveted takckiness for increased thrill seeking while cornering and descending! I'd hightly recommend it over Betasso. especially if you park at chataqua and go for the super walker. enjoy your ride.
    Let the good times roll!!

mtbr member

super walker?

can you tell me what the Super Walker involves? Walker is above and on the backside of the flatirons, so I assume it is a big climb back up there. if you mean just to grind up Flagsatff on the pavement, I'd rather pass on that and get more dirt time up at the trail.
    I'm looking for at least 4hrs riding time, preferably all on dirt. if I need to do 3 or 4 laps, so be it. i only mentioned Betasso b/c my in-laws live up above it on Sugarloaf, and it is super high-speed fun.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by jcospoco
    can you tell me what the Super Walker involves? Walker is above and on the backside of the flatirons, so I assume it is a big climb back up there. if you mean just to grind up Flagsatff on the pavement, I'd rather pass on that and get more dirt time up at the trail.
    I'm looking for at least 4hrs riding time, preferably all on dirt. if I need to do 3 or 4 laps, so be it. i only mentioned Betasso b/c my in-laws live up above it on Sugarloaf, and it is super high-speed fun.
    Super Walker = pavement.

You're starting form Sugarloaf? Either drive up to the Peak to Peak and hit the trails in Ned, or head up to the Switzerland trail and get lost. There's a fair amount of riding right there.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.