Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Walker Ranch stairs video

I apologize if the title got you excited... but I've been off the bike and away from the mountains for too long, I need a crazy video.

Can't we get some world class trials biker to bike up/down (I don't care) the stairs at Walker and share the video?

I need a new insane bike video fix.

...or has this already been done?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    oooh I see that slimat99 claims to have cleaned most of it ("the 'portage'"), I volunteer him for this video.

I tried to go up about as far as I could usually got stopped by the wetness of the rocks near the beginning... I never thought to try down...

starladear
    Feb 2004
    Looks like a job for Danny mcaskill

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    or this guy.......(watch the whole vid)
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Your bike is incorrigible
    Here's something to make this thread slightly less gay:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

skillz to pay billz
    I've walked up and down both with bike and no bike, no video though.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by EmTee View Post
    oooh I see that slimat99 claims to have cleaned most of it ("the 'portage'"), I volunteer him for this video.

I tried to go up about as far as I could usually got stopped by the wetness of the rocks near the beginning... I never thought to try down...
    Funny you mentioned me. I do have footage of most of the stair section, but I haven't posted a vid because it actually looks pretty lame, and it's low quality. You would be surprised at how easy some of it looks on video.

I've cleaned everything except the hard right hand corner that's kind of like a spiral stair case. If staking rocks was something that would be allowed I'm confident I could ride the whole thing. There's a wheel grabber in the crux of that right hander that I won't try to ride unless the gap is filled a bit. Of course this is all talk unless I post the vid right? Maybe I'll get motivated and through together the 1.5 minutes of footage I have. I've been meaning to get good footage, but never did, because walker is a long drive for me, and now it's even longer: I live in Durango. The footage I have is DH, I would never be able to clean the climb. Honestly, I would never try.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    I've cleaned everything except the hard right hand corner that's kind of like a spiral stair case.
    It's plausible. The whole thing is potentially "cleanable" going downhill with some solid trackstand-hop-turn skills... but it would take fvcking Balls Of Steel - especially for that right hand corner.

1.5 minutes of footage shouldn't take long to upload.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    It's plausible. The whole thing is potentially "cleanable" going downhill with some solid trackstand-hop-turn skills... but it would take fvcking Balls Of Steel - especially for that right hand corner.

1.5 minutes of footage shouldn't take long to upload.
    I'll try to post something tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Smile

Fun stuff

mtbr member
    May 2008

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Impressive!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I went over the bars 5 times just watching it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    thank you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    ****, I thought the vid was gonna be going up! Anyway, the vid cuts away at two or three crucial sections that I still don't think are rideable.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    ****, I thought the vid was gonna be going up! Anyway, the vid cuts away at two or three crucial sections that I still don't think are rideable.

No trickery here, everything is in the vid other than the right hand corner spiral section at the top that I've never tried to ride, and the last section down the the creek but you can see the rider go down that section disappearing down the stairs after the last right hand switchback. I didn't get footage of that section because I gave the helmet cam to my friend to get non POV footage and we didn't want to push back up to get footage of that last section. That section is no harder than the other sections; quite a bit easier than getting around the switchback that proceeds it IMO . I didn't clean everything in one go that time, you see in the vid the last switchback took me two tries. This is why I never put together a video until now. The footage is weak, and doesn't show the stairs well, but if you watch it again, you'll see everything is there other than the one spiral section I can't ride.

I would never try to ride up it. I don't see any fun in that. More power to anyone that wants to try, just not my thing. It really wouldn't be climbing, it would be trials hopping up stairs.

..ouch

mtbr member
    thank you!
    Nice riding!
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    No trickery here, everything is in the vid other than the right hand corner spiral section at the top that I've never tried to ride, and the last section down the the creek but you can see the rider go down that section disappearing down the stairs after the last right hand switchback. I didn't get footage of that section because I gave the helmet cam to my friend to get non POV footage and we didn't want to push back up to get footage of that last section. That section is no harder than the other sections; quite a bit easier than getting around the switchback that proceeds it IMO . I didn't clean everything in one go that time, you see in the vid the last switchback took me two tries. This is why I never put together a video until now. The footage is weak, and doesn't show the stairs well, but if you watch it again, you'll see everything is there other than the one spiral section I can't ride.

I would never try to ride up it. I don't see any fun in that. More power to anyone that wants to try, just not my thing. It really wouldn't be climbing, it would be trials hopping up stairs.
    Well done sir! I tried to ride that part this summer when I was out there and failed spectacularly and scraped my ass and legs and knees up pretty good when I lost balance trying to make one of thoes tight switchbacks, that 2nd one I think in your video.
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    Dig the baby front side manual to tweak your line!

slimat99, you might have seen this on the AM forum, but these guy's front side manual was pretty angry!
    INTO THIN AIR on Vimeo
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Psst! Here in the states, those are known as nose wheelies.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    May 2008

slimat99, you might have seen this on the AM forum, but these guy's front side manual was pretty angry!
    INTO THIN AIR on Vimeo
    Thanks! I have seen that video. I love those Euro tech vids.

Here's a video I made with WAY better front manual's: Average Day In Colorado on Vimeo

I was contacted by a group of Germans associated with local magazine that asked me to guide them after they watched this video. They love riding tech in the Alps. I'm sure it's related to their love for trials riding. I love how MTB has distinct flavors depending on your region. They sent me a digital copy of their Mag article detailing their trip to UT and CO. Too bad I can't read German!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

INTO THIN AIR on Vimeo
    Sweeeeet video! Love the snow-riding part, looks like so much fun!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by esundell90 View Post
    Well done sir! I tried to ride that part this summer when I was out there and failed spectacularly and scraped my ass and legs and knees up pretty good when I lost balance trying to make one of thoes tight switchbacks, that 2nd one I think in your video.
    Thanks! If you are referring to the last switchback it is goofy. It looks like nothing more than a somewhat tight corner in the video, but those water bars, stairs, whatever you want to call them, make it awkward. Obviously the stair section wasn't built with MTB in mind. I wish they had considered bikes when they built that section of trail. It could be a stellar tech DH with very unique character. Right now it's just an overbuilt, awkward section of trail built for hikers.

mtbr member
    Here's a video I made with WAY better front manual's: Average Day In Colorado on Vimeo
    Very sweet!
    The thing that trips me up on the Euro vid was the speed they were doing those at...but I guess it's more of a line tweak/rear wheel reposition than a front side manual. Whatever... I think I'll start using that as a move on my big bike. Just hope the squishy doesn't suck up all the effort to get the ass-end up...or cause the front to dive too drastically and pull a OTB and subsequent ground-torpedoing
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast