mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Walker Ranch Management Plan Update Open House

It looks like Bouler County Parks and Open Space restarted the master plan update project for Walker Ranch. There are lots of possibilities for new trails and connections from Walker Ranch so this project could have a positive impact on mountain biking. I'm think connections to Eldo or maybe to Winiger Ridge via Gross Dam Road (I need to look at a map about that second one). Lots of road could be single track as well.

November 13 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
    2525 13th Street, Boulder
    2nd Floor Conference Room in the Boulder County Transpiration building

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Jesse Rounds over at Boulder County Openspace wants to hear feedback from Mountain bikers regarding the proposed changes to Walker Ranch, you can see those changes here: https://www.facebook.com/DontSanitizeWalkerRanch

Please use this link to submit your comments:
    Walker Ranch Management Plan - Walker Ranch Management Plan

Click the comment form tab and enter your info and your hopes and dreams for the future of Walker Ranch. It take just a couple of minutes and will really help to get the message to BCOS that we want to keep Walker as an advanced trail.

Here is my comment if you want to just copy and paste:

Hi Jesse,
    The number one priority of the Walker Ranch management plan update should be to focus all efforts and monetary resources into connecting Walker Ranch to Eldorado Canyon. All resources should be focused on this effort and not on changes or improvements to the current Walker Ranch trail system or facilities. The Walker/Eldo connection is the link that will jumpstart the development of a much broader regional trail network, but until this piece is in place efforts to build a regional system will be bogged down. I don't want to see any of the current trails at Walker Ranch closed or altered. The current trails have proved to be sustainable after 20 years of use and I feel it is a waste of resources to try and modify these great trails for no real reason. If trail changes are a necessary mandate of the new management plan then BCOS should look at developing secondary alignments parallel to the current alignment that are shown to be 're-routed' in the BCOS trail plan map. With alternate 'less technical' alignments users can choose to bypass technical sections, yet all current alignments will remain as part of the trail system. This approach is a win-win because mountain bikers get the technical trails they want, while BCOS sees less use on the erodible sections of trail, and opens the park to more users. Additional because the new alignments are so close to the current aliments, issues regarding habitat fragmentation and over development of wilderness areas are avoided. This concept has already been used at Walker Ranch and should be the new management plan of Walker Ranch.

Thanks

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rhamilton View Post
    Jesse Rounds over at Boulder County Openspace wants to hear feedback from Mountain bikers regarding the proposed changes to Walker Ranch, you can see those changes here: https://www.facebook.com/DontSanitizeWalkerRanch

Please use this link to submit your comments:
    Walker Ranch Management Plan - Walker Ranch Management Plan

Click the comment form tab and enter your info and your hopes and dreams for the future of Walker Ranch. It take just a couple of minutes and will really help to get the message to BCOS that we want to keep Walker as an advanced trail.

Here is my comment if you want to just copy and paste:

Hi Jesse,
    The number one priority of the Walker Ranch management plan update should be to focus all efforts and monetary resources into connecting Walker Ranch to Eldorado Canyon. All resources should be focused on this effort and not on changes or improvements to the current Walker Ranch trail system or facilities. The Walker/Eldo connection is the link that will jumpstart the development of a much broader regional trail network, but until this piece is in place efforts to build a regional system will be bogged down. I don't want to see any of the current trails at Walker Ranch closed or altered. The current trails have proved to be sustainable after 20 years of use and I feel it is a waste of resources to try and modify these great trails for no real reason. If trail changes are a necessary mandate of the new management plan then BCOS should look at developing secondary alignments parallel to the current alignment that are shown to be 're-routed' in the BCOS trail plan map. With alternate 'less technical' alignments users can choose to bypass technical sections, yet all current alignments will remain as part of the trail system. This approach is a win-win because mountain bikers get the technical trails they want, while BCOS sees less use on the erodible sections of trail, and opens the park to more users. Additional because the new alignments are so close to the current aliments, issues regarding habitat fragmentation and over development of wilderness areas are avoided. This concept has already been used at Walker Ranch and should be the new management plan of Walker Ranch.

Thanks
    Just an FYI: Copied and paste comments are generally not nearly as effective as comments that come from a persons own experience, observations, preferences and opinions. It's generally best to not generalize what you feel other people want and voice what you feel and want.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Don't forget to document your support for things that you do like. (i.e., regional connections). I little bit of that positive vibe can go a long way.