mtbmike

Walker Ranch Management Plan Revisit Starts in April

Wanted: Walker Ranch Regulars!

Fifteen years ago, the Walker Ranch Loop was the premier mountain bike ride in Boulder County. Much has changed since then, and many of us who loathed the ride or drive over Flagstaff Mountain have found other, more desirable, opportunities like Heil and Hall Ranches.

BCPOS is ramping up to revisit this management plan. While BMA assumes a leadership role in representing mountain bikers, we certainly don't know it all about this parcel. That's why we are asking for your help.

If you ride Walker more than a dozen times a year, we would like to hear from you about what is working, what isn't, and what is needed to make this open space park better.

Yes, BMA continues to push for an Eldo to Walker connection. The OSMP West TSA process is in full swing and we are hopeful that this connection will pass muster from the City. But much remains to be done both politically and physically before this link becomes a reality. And then there is the connection west to West Mag... we are working it.

Please contact Mike Barrow at mtnbikemike@gmail.com if you want to help shape the future of Walker Ranch Open Space.
    mtbmike
    Longmont Colorado

The world is run by those that show up....

still riding
    what is this connector to west mag you speak of? Bypass 68j?

ride
    I think it'd be great for the County to look for a legit, worked out with the Ranger district, connection to USFS lands west of Meyers Homestead. That would tie in nicely when/if the Eldo connector happens.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

still riding
    Oh it would be great if there was a singletrack route that parallels/circumvents 68J.

mtbmike

anything is possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Shrederland
    Oh it would be great if there was a singletrack route that parallels/circumvents 68J.
    But it doesn't get done on this forum. If you want to be involved, contact me directly. mtnbikemike@gmail.com
    mtbmike
    Longmont Colorado

The world is run by those that show up....

still riding
    yes I will get involved.

Too busy looking good
    Hey, I like 68J, beats the heck out of asphalt (e.g. Flagstaff road) or even Magnolia road. I just don't like the dog that usually chases me through there. Admittedly though, single track would be much nicer.

Stiff yet compliant
    Didn't the forest service close a chunk of land in between 68J and Gross to all public access (I assume at the request of Denver water)?
    This would make a bypass a little trickier since it would have to be north of 68J and weave around all the private property in the area.

still riding
    how about a bike ferry to the bottom of lazy z

Stiff yet compliant
    How about a Billion dollars and a nympho/playmate/concubine my wife will never find out about?
    Last edited by Moustache rider; 02-24-2010 at 03:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

More Loops

Glad to hear they are doing this planning work. I think more trail options should be considered for improving the system. It is a big property, with only one loop currently. Much of the loop is on old roads that were not designed for recreation. Additional trails on the property would provide more choices and give horseback riders a loop that doesn't require re-routing the "wall" or crossing South Boulder Creek. Take advantage of the huge new trailhead, take visitors to the homestead, explore the burn area, etc.

still riding
    I could ride trails downhill from ned to superior if this goes down. let's make this happen.