mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Walker ranch conditions and shoe question

I rode Walker for the first time yesterday. Typically I ride White, Falcon, and Chimney Gulch so I enjoyed the mix of terrain. I road clock wise so the stairs surprised me which brings me to my shoe question.

I'm in the market for some low weight stiff shoes suitable for climbing and was looking at the Sidi Dominator 5s. However, I'm concerned that walking through rocky technical sections I might not be able to clean on Jeffco trails might be dangerous in the Dominators. What shoes are you Front Range XC/climbers satisfied with that in mind?

Ridesyeti

hehe ...you said "member"
    i wear SIDI dominators - pricey but a great shoe - going on 5 years now and have only had to replace the ratchets once.
    Re: hiking in them - yeah, they can slip a little, but what cleated shoe won't slip on rock?
    IMO, if you want a good, stiff mtb shoe, going with those hiking-style shoes will impact your pedal efficiency far more than the benefit you get hiking the occasional tech section. Go with the Dominators - you'll love 'em. They also have the optional toe cleats, though I've never used them.
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm definitely want to avoid mushy hiking style shoes. But I'm wondering if there is a shoe which effectively compromises between stiffness and a usable sole. Perhaps like the Lake MX165 but not so heavy. Perhaps a Shimano shoe? If comes to it, I'll get the Dominators. But I'd hate to always be falling on my a*s, especially on those stairs from hell on Walker.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have specialized comps - the lugs on the sole seem almost like hard plastic, but they actually grip rocks fairly decently. Better than my old shoes that had lugs that actually WERE hard plastic.

IMO you don't really need the screw in cleats around here; those are for the kind of muddy conditions that are rare in the front range. Just extra weight and they'd get in the way for walking on rocks.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I have a pair of Lake cycling (mountain bike) shoes. They are plenty stiff, and I am really happy with how grippy the rubber soles are when hiking technical terrain that I'm too a-skeered to ride.

skillz to pay billz
    http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.ph...uct_id=1244002

so far so good, the new sole is fairly rubbery, and carbon so it feels light and stiff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Were'd you get those Perl Izumi's I'd like to try on a pair.

Ridesyeti

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Sidi Dom 2s. Purchased in 1998. They're pretty worn, but just as comfy as when I bought 'em. Never had any issues with mechanics on them... velcro & buckles still work. No problem with walking rocky tech sections with them. Tread is good.

..ouch
    I've had good luck with the Specialized rubber soled cleated shoes in the past. Good mix of stiffness and grip: http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...=40338&eid=342

Shattering Glass
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Sidi Dom 2s. Purchased in 1998. They're pretty worn, but just as comfy as when I bought 'em. Never had any issues with mechanics on them... velcro & buckles still work. No problem with walking rocky tech sections with them. Tread is good.

Your shoes lasted 10 years. Must be for road? I've had Sidi dragon's only last me 1.5 years riding mountain only. I mean trashed, parts missing, holes in them, velcro gone, collapsed heels...and their still a good backup pair. But as a shoe for riding, the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn. I just bought a new pair($500) with the carbon soles and can't wait to trash them in the desert and up high.

Blueskyvelo.blogspot.com has a pair of Mavic Mantra shoes posted and for about $300 they have great features(particularly grippy soles) and come with booties for winter riding. I held them and they seem very nice, but I had already ordered the Dragons which have a descent grip for as little amount of rubber underneath,.

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by ridesyeti
    Were'd you get those Perl Izumi's I'd like to try on a pair.

Ridesyeti
    Check the website for dealers near you. I pro-formed them so not sure where you can find them.

I want cookies!
    I am totally screwed when it comes to shoes. I wear a size 3.5-4 (US) and can never find MTB or Road shoes (I think Euro 34ish)

If you find them, let me know!!