mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Waldo Canyon up to Rampart Range Road

Anyone have advice on getting from Waldo Canyon up to RRR? Looks like two options - the cutoff that heads towards Cascade starting from the first switchback as you loop Waldo going clockwise. The other looks like going up Williams approximately 2 miles and hit RRR below the shooting area.

I'd prefer the former - gets me closer to USFS303 and heading over to Northfield and Stanely Res and back home to Monument.

Wondering what going uphill on these is like. I don't mind steep granny gear stuff, and pushing the bike if needed, but if they are bike carry's for too long I'll come up with Plan B.

Thanks guys - scheming up an epic and need to connect a few things together!
    jon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Jon,

I've ridden up RRR and down Williams (great ride) and I know where the cut off to Waldo is. If you will be coming down this and then back up Williams to RRR have fun. While I have not ridden up this section, only down, it looks like it would be a lot of hike a bike. Its steep for a few miles.

Give it a shot though and let me know :P

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks limesoda,

Plan now is to be coming from across Highway-24 into Waldo - from the Experimental Forest Road off the Peak - so won't be dropping in either way to Waldo. Just using it as a cool way to head back to Monument - vs taking RRR all the way up from Garden of the Gods. I'll have a GPS on me, and know how far I have to hike the bike - so can make the call from there and bail back out onto Highway 24 and home up the SFT.

Anyone know about the ride-ability of that spur on the West side of the Waldo loop, that heads towards Cascade a bit, then bends North and climbs up to RRR?

Thanks, jon.

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by jnordby

Plan now is to be coming from across Highway-24 into Waldo - from the Experimental Forest Road off the Peak - so won't be dropping in either way to Waldo. Just using it as a cool way to head back to Monument - vs taking RRR all the way up from Garden of the Gods. I'll have a GPS on me, and know how far I have to hike the bike - so can make the call from there and bail back out onto Highway 24 and home up the SFT.

Anyone know about the ride-ability of that spur on the West side of the Waldo loop, that heads towards Cascade a bit, then bends North and climbs up to RRR?

Thanks, jon.
    Jon -

Williams to RRR (or Waldo to RRR) is a good ride and a great connection. Most of the hike-a-bike in Williams (IMO) is below the spot where you come in from Waldo. You'll find very rideable trail in the canyon bottom, then a steep grunt that is ride/hike, but it's not long. You'll pass several "danger, shooting range" signs.

I've also climbed the trail towards Cascade off Waldo. I rode it to the top of saddle (8500') before turning left to descend into Cascade. It was two weeks ago, and I don't remember walking much, just short sections.

I noted the right turn that I assumed went to RRR, and it looked like it'd be a steep grunt (8500' to 9400'), but if it's anything like the rest of the trail, it probably won't be THAT bad.

Considering the elevation you'd lose dropping to Williams, the upper connection to RRR might be the way to go. Definitely let me/us know how it goes.

I'm also curious about the loop you are putting together. If you get a GPS track, I'd love to see it. Speaking of which, I have GPX files for both of the trails in question and would be happy to share them with you.

I love all these little-used trails crisscrossing the hills of the Springs. Not exactly prime mountain biking, and way off everyone's radar. But they are nice for linking big loops and getting off the beaten path.

Scott
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hey Guys,

Check out the maps available at the Incline Club's web site. They are great. You could fill in the blanks with them. http://www.inclineclub.com/maps.htm

Matt and Co. do a great job mapping these things out.

-Vic

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks Scott, Vic, Loudpawls (I have an early DT240s! click click click), and others, this info all helps.

My goal is to ride to Barr Camp from Monument, the easy way is SFT/Sinton/GOG to Manitou, up to the camp, and Out Experimental Forest, back down Ute Indian, and reverse the route up the SFT home. That is my bailout I guess. I'd really like to go at least one way through the interesting stuff up Waldo, up to RRR, over to the res (rampart or stanley) and back. It is tempting to ride there and back via these Waldo spurs, but not sure I have that much in me!

Scott - yes, I'll GPS what I do, I'll pm my email - and if ya have those GPX files that might keep me riding vs map reading. Others who want this pm me. Even though the incline club has posted some of this, and some maps show it, just keeping it off the radar a bit. Futile perhaps, and maybe unncecessary because these all just hurt to go ride so they will never be overrun. I am glad to share, just ask. Thanks for the info shared with me, I appreciate it!

Thanks,
    jon