Fragile - must be Italian

Visiting from Phoenix -- Bummed About the Weather

I'm in Denver for a conference next week and decided to fly out early so I could enjoy some of your Front Range trails. I packed up all of my gear...hauled it here...and now the bike shops are telling me it's too wet/muddy/snowy to ride today (Friday 5/14).

I'm really itching to get out tomorrow and Sunday 5/15-5/16. Are there any trail systems within reasonable driving distance that will be dry enough to ride? I'm really bummed I couldn't get out today. Going for a run along the Platte river didn't quite cut it...

Thx...Doug

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Buff Creek is about an hour from town a few of us are heading there tomorrow. It should be real good on sun. Some local stuff might be ok on sunday.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Walker Ranch. The trails there are granitic in nature, not clay/mud. They won't be dry but it'll be rideable. It's also so much closer than BC. Besides, when you get back you can cruise through Boulder and check out the ladies. When you get done with BC you can go to Pine and check out the pickups.
    Last edited by xcguy; 05-14-2010 at 03:18 PM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    Buff Creek is about an hour from town a few of us are heading there tomorrow. It should be real good on sun. Some local stuff might be ok on sunday.
    I've only ridden BC a few times and never when it was wet, but it seems the trails would handle water pretty well. Assuming it's not raining tomorrow, will it be rideable after all this rain today?

Where is Buffalo Creek? What are the trails like? When are you going down there?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Where is Buffalo Creek? What are the trails like? When are you going down there?
    Print out this map for trails:
    http://www.frmbp.org/maps.html

This is the turnoff for one of the parking areas (should be able to reference with trail map):
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.408...,0.077162&z=14

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Conifer here, and it is DUMPING rain/snow mix presently. When its clear, I can see down the valley to Pine and the Buffalo Creek area...right now, I can't see that far, but I believe it is similar precipitation down there. I am hoping to ride Buffalo Creek tomorrow, but I am a bit skeptical that it will happen. I recommend nobody bother going to Buffalo Creek until I have had a chance to test it out and post an all clear here .

*Buff Creek does dry out really quick with that decomposed granite soil. Still hoping for tomorrow, but thinking Sunday is more realistic.

Hairshirt Rider
    Where's your front range hospitality?

Kevin, meet dgangi. He'd needs to ride his bike tomorrow.

Hairshirt Rider
    And don't let the weather scare you. Many a good ride has been had in less than stellar conditions up there. (photo credits to ed and ???)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Visiting from Phoenix -- Bummed About the Weather-img_4104-1.jpg  

Visiting from Phoenix -- Bummed About the Weather-4045132116_d62612e20d_b.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    try pueblo reservior tommorrow

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    Where's your front range hospitality?

Kevin, meet dgangi. He'd needs to ride his bike tomorrow.

Sorry man! I was at dinner! ok it looks pretty bad but im willing to give it a shot. If we stay on the open terrain we should be ok if djangi you want to give it a try you can meet up with us in the morning. let me know.

obviously we wont be screwin up the trails but most areas dont get real muddy.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Sorry man! I was at dinner! ok it looks pretty bad but im willing to give it a shot. If we stay on the open terrain we should be ok if djangi you want to give it a try you can meet up with us in the morning. let me know.

obviously we wont be screwin up the trails but most areas dont get real muddy.
    Sounds like fun to me. When/where can we meet? I am staying in downtown Denver but can meet you anywhere. Just name the time.

You can eithe PM me with the details or ring my cell @ 48 oh - 221 - 5 zero six 1

Thanks for the offer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm planning on heading down Sun. If anyone rides Sat, please post an update on conditions. Thanks

Walker Ranch

Thanks for the tip about Walker Ranch! I braved the forecast (and current weather conditions) around 11AM today and headed out to Walker Ranch near Boulder. Despite there being quite a lot of snow on the ground in and around the area, the trail itself was actually quite rideable -- nice and tacky actually (like the soil in AZ that I am used to). Only in a few spots was the trail peanut-butter gooey.

I rode the trail clockwise, which I was told was the best way to do it. I sessioned a few of the technical bits for fun. I also enjoyed the climbs. In fact, when I got done with the last big climb, I turned around and rode down to the bottom...and then turned around and went back up.

I ventured over to the Myer Homestead trail, but it was pretty flat and boring (and muddy)...so I called it a day and grabbed some lunch in Boulder.

Tomorrow I am going to give Buffalo Creek a shot as I have a feeling the trails near Golden (Chimney Gulch, Apex, White Ranch) will be muddy.

Thx...Doug

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi

Tomorrow I am going to give Buffalo Creek a shot as I have a feeling the trails near Golden (Chimney Gulch, Apex, White Ranch) will be muddy.

Thx...Doug
    White Ranch is good to go....in fact Golden Bike Shop is having a demo with Niner, Santa Cruz, Spot, Pivot, Intense, Ellsworth on Sunday (100+ bikes total) if you want do try some different bikes.

11am upper parking lot.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator