mtbr member
    May 2005

Visiting... Only one trail!

So I'm visiting Boulder w/ the family and if things go well I'll have a few hours to hit a trail. If you could only ride one, what one would you ride? I normally ride on the east coast so something that screams Colorado would be great! I guess I'm looking for a 2-3 hour ride over at least some technical stuff in the mountains since I don't get that. I'm in pretty good bike shape for this time of the year (although I'm sure the altitude will say otherwise) and I can handle most technical trails. Not looking for a ball breaker, just looking for some good single track fun.

FWIW, I'm assuming I'll rent a nice FS at a bike shop in town. Any recommendations, I know the one (Sport something) said a $100 which seemed kind of steep. I ride a 2005 Specialized FSR and would want something in that ballpark.

Thanks...

-Jim

crashes in parkinglot
    When you coming out?
    Hall ranch 1.5hours at a reasonable for sea level pace.
    Sourdough area, some tech some smooth lots of trail. Bring a rain jacket afternoon thunder showers highly likely.
    Croser (sp?) always a good time, 99% chance of getting rained on. can be done as a shuttle or long loop with a road warm up. 2-3 hours probably.

Sports garage, pretty expensive, haven't been in there in a long time.
    I'd try to contact Dave(ignaz jr) of Redstone cyclery, he might be able to rangle up something for you when you are out here.

not sure who else will have fullies

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'll be there the week of the 22nd of May.

mtbr member
    If I were you, I'd do Walker Ranch. That'll be a great experience for you. I don't even know where to start in trying to explain it to you, it's just a super fun trail and it will challenge you aerobically as well as skillfullly (not even sure that's a word). Check out the trail review section of MTBR (CO - Front Range) for the 411. If you need more info, just post again. Just the drive up Flagstaff is something worth checking out, and bring your camera. Hall Ranch is cool too, but it does get crowded.

I can't comment on bike rentals. But I do know Dave at Redstone is a good guy and if he can't help you out I'm sure he could point you in the right direction. But, if you end up using one of his bikes, then it would make no sense coming back down to Walker Ranch after driving up to (pretty much) the Hall Ranch trail head.
    Biker? I don't even know her.

mtbr member

x2 for walker ranch....

if you can only ride one (near boulder), this trail gives you a bit of everything: climbing, descending, meadowy singletrack, tree-lined switchbacks, technical hike-a-bike.

plus, you could stop at the creek and let your altitude-challenged lungs rest while enjoying the scenery.

http://www.trailcentral.com/tom/index.php?key=5

terry
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sounds perfect... now to find a bike and convince the wife that I NEED to do this.

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Ya might try the folks at BlueSky Cycles, not sure if they rent, but worth a shot Blueskycyclesonline.com. Dave @ RedStone is a fantasic guy as well. I did Walker myself before I moved out here, one of the most beatifull trails I can think of, And Kicked my @rsh as well!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks guys. Got to ride Walkers Ranch yesterday and it was a blast. Got a Giant Trance from Full Cycles. Not the best, but it did the trick. I wish my east coast lungs were up to it but I had lots of fun anyway.

Thanks again for the advice.

-Jim