mtbr member
    Feb 2009

... and if we just ... Visiting Littleton 08/01/11 to 08/06/11

Hi all, I know this must be asked several time a year but could not find what I needed. I am visiting a friend in Littleton the first week of August. They work most days so I will have plenty of time to ride. I am an XC/Ultra-marathon rider that is looking for 4 or 5 days of riding within a few hours drive of Littleton. I am planing to ride the CT from Denver for a 4 hour ride (out and back) one day and hitting the highest portion of the CT for a 4 hour ride another day. Looking for good suggestions on other 4ish hr rides within a few hour drive of Littleton.

This will be my first time riding in Colorado so I am really looking for the best of the best trails in this area. I am open to making these rides group rides as long as yall don't mind being slowed down by a flat-lander that trains in Mississippi and Arkansas.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Zach

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Zach,

If your planning on riding the CT from denver your going to have to start in Sedalia as the current start of the CT in Waterton canyon is closed for a 2 year long resevoir dredge project. . OH and the Colorado Trail Race also starts on 8-1-11.

Plenty of trails in Buffalo Creek area- that intersect the CT.

we do night rides at BC or around every thursday.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Do yourself a GIANT favor in August and ride the CT from Copper Mt to Camp Hale.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Zach

Really anything East of Vail or even Leadville is within two hours of Littleton. The options are in the hundreds.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    What lanepatterson47 said. There are tons and tons of trails in the area. You may want to spend a couple days getting acclimated before you brave the longer rides/harder trails in the mountains. Start in the front range - Lair O The Bear, Walker Ranch, Apex, etc. All of those are fun and challenging, with plenty of climbing. And since you'll be riding on weekdays, they shouldn't be too crowded. Walker Ranch also gets you the benefit of a great drive (ride?) up Flagstaff Road.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by ilan View Post
    What lanepatterson47 said. There are tons and tons of trails in the area. You may want to spend a couple days getting acclimated before you brave the longer rides/harder trails in the mountains. Start in the front range - Lair O The Bear, Walker Ranch, Apex, etc. All of those are fun and challenging, with plenty of climbing. And since you'll be riding on weekdays, they shouldn't be too crowded. Walker Ranch also gets you the benefit of a great drive (ride?) up Flagstaff Road.
    Not crowded, but likely they'll be bloody HOT. I'd recommend starting up high on the Front Range - Bergen Peak, 3-Sisters, etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Not crowded, but likely they'll be bloody HOT. I'd recommend starting up high on the Front Range - Bergen Peak, 3-Sisters, etc.

Look into the Winter Park/Fraser trails. 1-1.5 hours depending where in Littleton. Summit County also has a lot of trails.

mtbr member
    Do yourself a GIANT favor in August and ride the CT from Copper Mt to Camp Hale.
    Do you do that as a shuttle?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Take the fact you're coming from basically sea level and are planning on doing rides from 6,000 to, what, 11,000 feet (?) into consideration. You're not going to just come here and ride as intensely as back home. Eventually, yeah, but not for awhile. Maybe dial back your schedule just a bit and enjoy the scenery.

I don't think heat will be a problem seeing as we don't have humidity and temps will probably be lower than Mississippi, it's that lack of oxygen thing.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Do you do that as a shuttle?
    Point-to-point "shuttle", yes... it's still quite a bit of climbing. Or you can do it as a loop, but I think Resolution Road sucks.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Take the fact you're coming from basically sea level and are planning on doing rides from 6,000 to, what, 11,000 feet (?) into consideration. You're not going to just come here and ride as intensely as back home. Eventually, yeah, but not for awhile. Maybe dial back your schedule just a bit and enjoy the scenery.

I don't think heat will be a problem seeing as we don't have humidity and temps will probably be lower than Mississippi, it's that lack of oxygen thing.
    Come on, he's an ultra-marathoner. He'll be FINE.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm trying to remember back when I was as fit as I could be (lessee, one four day stretch I climbed four 14ers then went to CB and rode 401, 403 backwards, yes backwards, Teocali Ridge, Brush Creek, Snodgrass, uh, memory fading...and the last thing I'd have ever called myself was an "ultra marathoner". Guess that might have meant doing all that in two days. Or one
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member

There is nothing anywhere near Mississippi that could prepare you for the hills and altitude your talking about. How many miles of flat riding at sea level = 1 mile of 1000 ft elevation gain at 9,000 feet?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    There is nothing anywhere near Mississippi that could prepare you for the hills and altitude your talking about. How many miles of flat riding at sea level = 1 mile of 1000 ft elevation gain at 9,000 feet?
    Come on - people show up from all sorts of flat places near sea level and run/ride "ultra" races around here. They don't all die from the altitude.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Well I've been training for NUE races so maybe not ultra-marathon. Was not planing on riding really hard from the first day, but would love to get in as may miles as I can. I'm not too worried about the heat (last summer most rides started at 100* F and 80%+ humidity and finished higher). This will be my last chance to ride before I go off to Basic training and AIT so I plan on making it a good week of seeing somethings I've never had a chance to.

As for the Altitude,
    I know that there will be less O2 in the air up there, but when I was 17 I went from Little Rock, AR (>100ft) to Denver to compete in a International Judo competition and did not notice the decrease of O2. (From my limited knowledge of sports science I would say Judo matches are 5-20min of 100%+ LT activity).

If I get up to Altitude and I'm not feeling good then I'll dial the intensity/duration back and try again at a later date.

mtbr member
    Everyone reacts differently to altitude, and Denver is no big deal except for sensitive people. The higher you go, the more chance you have of feeling the effects. Your body adapts after time, so staying at 5000-7000 feet for a couple of days helps you to adjust to 9000-10000, better than if you went straight up to 10,000 when you get off the plane from Atlanta.
    I took a kid from Arizona skiing this last winter, and he was fine the first day at my house (6,400), but puked all night after a day of skiing (which is a day spent between 9-12000 ft). It wasn't the exertion, it was his sensitivity to altitude. Another kid from AZ who was with him had no effects. So it depends on your individual sensitivity, which I don't think is necessarily related to fitness.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The big key is drink lots and lots of water. As you said you are used to high humidity. With basically none of that here it is very important for most people to drink much more that normal not taking into consideration a high activity level. This is why a lot of people get sick or feel "light headed", they are just dehydrated.

As mentioned above, you may or may not be affected by altitude. A friend of mine came in from Phoenix last year to do leadville 100 with no altitude training and broke the top 25. It did not affect him.