mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Visiting Fort Collins - help / advice please!

Hi there

I'm coming over to Fort Collins from the UK in mid June for work, and am planning on staying on for a while for a holiday. Does anyone know of a good place to hire bikes from that would fit a 5ft woman (I currently ride an xs Titus)? Also, are there any trails I could get to from town as I won't have a car with me. As I'll be riding on my own, is there anything I should be aware of re safety etc (Sorry if that sounds stupid, but coming from the UK I don't know if I have to aware of bears or anything!)

Any advice much appreciated

Cheers

Sue

slow
    Hi Sue,
    Welcome. There are numerous trails ridable from town, including trails around Horsetooth Reservoir, Coyote Ridge, etc. It is pretty safe around here. There are some wild animals around here, but the trails are well used, and the people will usually keep the predators away. Keep an eye out for rattle snakes. The town is bike friendly, with lots of paths and wide streets.
    As for bike hire, you might try Lees Cyclery. I don;t know what size bikes they have, but they will be a good place to start.

Enjoy your holiday.

jl
    climb
    Sue,

Good luck with your trip. Have you thought about shipping your bike over to the states? It might be worth it depending on how long you're going to be here.

Fort Collins is really bike friendly, and you can get to numerous trails from town.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Sue,

If you think you'll ride a lot (e.g. evening spins) ship your bike. Pretty sure your bike shop at home will pack it for you at a nominal fee. Same service can be found here in Fort Collins. Just check what the airline asks for shipping. Might be less than renting a bike.

There is a nice network of trails right at the edge of town. Plenty for an evening spin. Longer tours on the weekends are also possible. There are quite some trails you can ride your bike to. In addition to that I am sure you can join in on groups going out for a ride, too.

Yes, it is save. You'll probably enjoy seeing deers, foxes, prarie dogs and plenty of birds.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Thanks

Thanks for the responses, really good to hear that's there's trails that I can get to from town. Unfortunately bringing my bike with me isn't an option as I'm flying between various places before coming to Fort Collins, so transporting my bike would be too difficult. I'll have some weekdays free, so will see if I can hire a bike for a few days.

Cheers

slow
    Perhaps you could ship your bike via UPS to Ft Collins and have it waiting upon your arrival.

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    Perhaps you could ship your bike via UPS to Ft Collins and have it waiting upon your arrival.
    That's what I was trying to say
    Ride On!

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by jl
    That's what I was trying to say
    Doh!

hiya
    Jan 2008
    Sue,

Go to Lee's North store (intersection of Laurel and Mason), they rent bikes and also get a trail map and a city bicycling map so you can navigate around. There is a Scottish mechanic there named Gordon, who may make you feel more at home (strong accent).

If you are just tooling around town, there is a free? bike rental service in old town, there may be a link for all this on the city webpage, fc.gov.

Enjoy your stay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Sue
    Hi there

I'm coming over to Fort Collins from the UK in mid June for work, and am planning on staying on for a while for a holiday. Does anyone know of a good place to hire bikes from that would fit a 5ft woman (I currently ride an xs Titus)? Also, are there any trails I could get to from town as I won't have a car with me. As I'll be riding on my own, is there anything I should be aware of re safety etc (Sorry if that sounds stupid, but coming from the UK I don't know if I have to aware of bears or anything!)

Any advice much appreciated

Cheers

Sue
    Talk to Joe at New World Sports about renting a bike. As has already been mentioned, the only big threat around these parts really are the rattle snakes, saw 3 yesterday at Coyote Ridge.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Bike rental from Lee's is $50 per day so if you're going to be riding for more than a couple of days it might be cost-effective to look into other options.

Also, since you will not have a car having a dedicated bike for around town transportation would be a very good thing. Fort Collins is a very bike friendly city and you easily can get around town solely by bicycle. I would second the recommendations to ship your bike so that you will not have to rent a mtn bike and have a bike to use around town. I also recommend finding lodging on the north end of town as it is considerably easier to get around by bike on the north end of Fort Collins (north of prospect street) than on the south end. This area is generally referred to as "Old Town". There is also a bike library in fort collins where you can borrow a bike to use around town (they do not have high end mtn bikes) for free. More about that here: http://www.bikefortcollins.org/bike_...and_bike_coop/ Also here is a link to a bike map of Fort Collins: http://fcgov.com/bicycling/pdf/bike-map-200711.pdf

what nice teeth you have
    This is the bike library link.
    http://www.fcbikelibrary.org/

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Many thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions and recommendations.

Hopefully see some of you out on the trails