mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Visiting Dillon, CO! Need trail suggestions!

Hey there ya'll!

So just to preface my plea for suggestions and help let me explain. . . I am from good ole flat Nebraska and heading out to Dillon, CO next week for a few days. My family and I are all Mtbing fools and would love to hit up some good XC and all-mountain single track that varies in length and difficulty. With both my dad and I just getting Giant Anthem X 29ers in the last few months I am truly ready and comfortable enough to put them through hell on some awesome trails.

We also were thinking about maybe not staying at our cabin one night and maybe do a one night bikepacking trip/epic ride. Anyway, will have at least 4 days to be riding up in Dillon and would love to know of any suggestions of trails worth riding in and around Dillon. I have looked around and found trails but would love to hear anyone's own experience! Thanks in advance!!

contains quinine
    Nebraska? How's Wilderness Park these days?

If you guys have a cabin, are you used to getting used to the altitude? There's tons of riding all over between there and Breckenridge depending on how big or technical you want to go. What's your definition of a great ride? Views? Flow or chunk? It makes a difference on the suggestions best for you.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I highly recommend a Keystone Gulch-West Ridge- Colorado Trail- Tiger Run- Blair Witch- back to Keystone ride.... it's on my list every summer.

You really can't go wrong around Keystone and Breck, there are miles and miles of sweet singletrack.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hey Debaser,
    Nebraska is not bad and wilderness park is awesome! It's just good, flowy, pretty flat single-track but always fun to zip through there. You been there or from NE?

And in terms of my being acclimated to altitude, we are all pretty quick and acclimated to altitude. I would say a great ride would be intermediate riding with great views, fun flowy trails, and something that takes more than a simple hour or so! Unlike most Lincoln area trails

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks smmokan! have hear great thinks about the keystone area and will have to check it out!

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I highly recommend a Keystone Gulch-West Ridge- Colorado Trail- Tiger Run- Blair Witch- back to Keystone ride.... it's on my list every summer.

You really can't go wrong around Keystone and Breck, there are miles and miles of sweet singletrack.
    x2!

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by DJagadich View Post
    Hey Debaser,
    Nebraska is not bad and wilderness park is awesome! It's just good, flowy, pretty flat single-track but always fun to zip through there. You been there or from NE?

And in terms of my being acclimated to altitude, we are all pretty quick and acclimated to altitude. I would say a great ride would be intermediate riding with great views, fun flowy trails, and something that takes more than a simple hour or so! Unlike most Lincoln area trails
    Went to school there. I'd be scared to imagine how many times I've been through Wilderness.

Others suggestions look great. You may also want to check out the Breck trails. If you could have someone drop you off at Baker's Tank you could make your way back to Dillon via that, the flumes, then to the dredge and keystone gulch. Long, varied, not overly technical. The Peaks trail could be worth checking out as well, although imho the last half or third furthest north is way better than the Breck side.

Also, get yourself a Latitude 40 map to either know where you're at or to get lost.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Peaks trail in Frisco is another good one. Also check out the trails south of Breck on the other side of Hoosier Pass off 285 - several good ~20 mile rides. Stop by Avalanche Sports in Breck, pick up a map and talk to the shop guys. They're pretty helpful and are all diehard bikers.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Search for any one of the zillion Summit County threads with trail suggestions. Plus, there are a bunch of Summit County trails in the trail review section of this website.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    X3! (although I cheated and had my wife drive me up to the Co trail so I did a much shorter version).

Also, I can't recomend enough doing a day of lifts at Keystone. The green trail is epic fun and you could ride that several times back to back if you wanted and not get bored (it's about 8 miles of pedaly, XCish downhill). If you like the green, then venture onto the two blues and see how you feel. You could even ride the single blacks on your Anthems if you have some technical skills. Fair warning though: gravity riding can be addictive!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    X2 on getting out to Keystone for some DH riding. Maybe the day after a big ride, totally worth it.

Get a Lat 40 map and you should be able to piece together a great ride. I would go out to Summit Cove and park out by the trailer park and make a loop as big as you want it back there. So many options, just bring your map.

If you want to get higher one day, check out the Lenawee trail. Ride over Abasin and descend the other side. One of my faves. Best to do as a shuttle unless you want to climb six miles back to the Basin on pavement.

Peaks trail Frisco to Breck and back is a great ride, one of the best in the county.

Frisco has a bike park to play on too, you can hit up some short loops around the peninsula then play in the park. Fun stuff.

Just some options. Do a search and you'll find plenty of info.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post

If you want to get higher one day, check out the Lenawee trail. Ride over Abasin and descend the other side. One of my faves. Best to do as a shuttle unless you want to climb six miles back to the Basin on pavement.
    Uhhh... the right way to do this is park at the bottom of Lenawee and do all that $hitty work FIRST.

But you knew that, right?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Uhhh... the right way to do this is park at the bottom of Lenawee and do all that $hitty work FIRST.

But you knew that, right?
    Or park at Keystone, easy enough ride down Zuma rd. and bombing peru creek is pretty fun too.

Having ridden it about 20 times, I've done it almost every way you can imagine. Most friends prefer to shuttle so I recommend that to newbs, especially ones from the flatlands. I do it solo quite a bit though, which means it's a loop no matter where you start.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Shutle is the mostest *right* way.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    soda ridge.
    "Just moved to denver, any suggestions on what rubbers to use when i bang loose denver chicks ?"