mtbr member

Visiting Denver area, where to ride?

My daughter has a softball tourny in Westminster 6/23-7/2 and I'm expecting some down time during our stay. Is there a recommendation on best place to ride (day trip) single track near this area? I'm also open to suggestions on where the best place to rent a full suspension bike would be. Really hoping to get at least two separate days in while in the Denver area. Thanks!

mtbr member
    What do you like to ride?

Golden Bike Shop for the rental. There are a ton of options, but pretty much everything will have a considerable climb, just so you know. Maybe you're used to that, but if you're from Mississippi, it might be a bit rough.

Walker Ranch
    Chimney Gulch
    Apex

Centennial Cone is an easier ride, and Marshall Mesa even easier than that, but more on the boring end for Front Range riding.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input, I'll do some research on these areas.
    I don't mind 2-3k' of climbing but then again I live at 200' here in CA so mile high climbing is going to kick the snot out of me PDQ!

I wouldn't mind getting up on a single track that traverses a mtn range for many miles so as to enjoy a view while going in/out of trees. Ideally, looking for XC/AM riding with some good DH single track for the payoff.

Light freak
    White Ranch or west side of Marshall Mesa

mtbr member
    To traverse a mountain range you are going to have to get higher up in altitude. Especially if you want to be above tree line. I personally wouldn't recommend that for someone from sea level only in town for a short time. However, a couple rides come to mind for that sort of thing. You will be in for some serious climbing at altitude which may make them impractical. You would also need to check snow conditions. Monarch Pass, Kenosha Pass, Jones Pass. I think you'll be satisfied with some of the views on Centennial Cone. But Route 6 is closed on the week days. You need to take I-70 to 119 to the Cone.

mtbr member
    Are there any shuttles that take you to the top of dh/xc single track runs? If so I could see doing a couple of those in one day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post
    You need to take I-70 to 119 to the Cone.
    Or Golden Gate Canyon Road to the north entrance of the Cone. Also recommend GGCSP for the OP. Might be the perfect combo for him.

mtbr member
    What do you guys think of that Lair O' The Bear Park?

mtbr member
    Lair O' The Bear's a decent choice for someone coming in from sea level. Not overly high in altitude with a reasonable climb that's not too difficult. I don't think it has the best scenery since much of it is in the forest but its good riding.

The thing about Denver area riding is that most of the trails start at the base of a foot hill and then go up from there. That offers a great workout if a rider is acclimated and in good shape but may be difficult for someone from sea level in my opinion. Some of the Denver area parks have alternative entrances which allow you to enter the park via automobile at a higher elevation and avoid the climb into the park from the base of the foot hills.

You had asked about shuttling high altitude rides earlier. Really we don't have much of that here if you mean shuttle services. You can get a shuttle for Monarch Pass. But that shuttle is to get you back to your car so you don't have to ride a really long distance back to your starting point. You still end up climbing on your ride up the pass from what I understand. If you want to avoid climbs, I think the closest thing to a shuttle service you'll find is lift service riding at a ski resort.

One thing you may want to look into are rides around Breckenridge. I haven't done a lot of riding up there but I hear there's good riding. But the altitude my be taxing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post
    You had asked about shuttling high altitude rides earlier. Really we don't have much of that here if you mean shuttle services. You can get a shuttle for Monarch Pass. But that shuttle is to get you back to your car so you don't have to ride a really long distance back to your starting point. You still end up climbing on your ride up the pass from what I understand.
    Nope, the Monarch Crest shuttle actually hauls you to the top of the pass and drops you off at the ride's start. You end the ride down in the valley in Poncha Springs. Kind of expensive at $20 per rider, but worth it for the convenience if you can't set up your own shuttle.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

Goofing off?
    I live in Westminster.
    Google map search, "hwy 93 and 128 Boulder". It's the closest (15-20 min) decent, not the best, riding.
    Reccomended route: Prairie Vista to Flatirons South down Dowdy Draw to Springbrook South loop where you can go either clock or counter clock wise and then back the way you came. You'll be sure to see some deer and there are some fast flowy sections with minimal climbing.

Then I would do White Ranch starting at the bottom - go up Belcher Hill trail down Maverick to Longhorn then Shorthorn back onto Longhorn and then Whippletree back to Belcher to get back to lot.

White Ranch info including trail map: White Ranch Park - Open Space - Jefferson County, CO
    Last edited by Intenserider2; 06-21-2012 at 10:57 AM.