mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Visiting Denver Area - Trail Recommendations

Iím vising Denver Nov 2-8 on a solo trip and am planning to do a decent amount of riding. Iíve got a road ride scheduled with a tour company up in Fort Collins on Nov 5 during the day. I found a shop near downtown where Iím staying where I can rent a hybrid or road bike and I intend to check out some of the paved scenic trails through central Denver.

I also would like to get a day in of trail riding. Iíve seen Golden Bike Shop mentioned before on here for MTB rentals. It looks like there are a number of trails near Golden but Iím looking for recommendations.

Iíve only been riding for a few months now in the Charlotte area, which means rooted trails in the woods for the most part, Sherman Branch and Lake Norman State Park are my favorite trails right now. What Iíve heard is that in Denver thereís more ďXC styleĒ trails with less roots that are faster and I would LOVE to give that a try if thatís accurate. If you have any recommendations for good road rides in Denver that would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance

The 5th knuckle
    Get a bike from Golden Bike Shop and they'll hook you up with a map and more trail you can ride to from the shop than you can fit in two days of riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

lucky enough
    I guess the Cherry Creek bike path could be considered "scenic" in Denver.
    Make sure you bring warm cloths and drink lots of water to combat the high altitude.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

insert sarcasm here
    Quote Originally Posted by boilerdown View Post

Iíve only been riding for a few months now in the Charlotte area, which means rooted trails in the woods for the most part, Sherman Branch and Lake Norman State Park are my favorite trails right now. What Iíve heard is that in Denver thereís more ďXC styleĒ trails with less roots that are faster and I would LOVE to give that a try if thatís accurate. If you have any recommendations for good road rides in Denver that would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance
    Hmm, I wouldn't say the part about "XC style" trails is entirely accurate. Yes, there are a handful of places you can go for buff singletrack, but most of the trails around Golden are going to be of the steep and rocky variety. Nothing you can't handle if you're a capable rider though.

For smoother trails, check out Green Mountain, Buffalo Creek, or Centennial Cone.

For rockier trails check out White Ranch, Apex, Dakota Ridge/Matthew Winters, Deer Creek, Golden Gate State Park.

Of course if we happen to get snow this week, your options might be limited.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

BLKSS29RGD
    From one fellow Boiler to another - reach out to me before committing the coin on a rental. Maybe we can hook u up with a bike and some folks to ride with.

Bring SPD mtb shoes, riding clothes, and a helmet with you.

ljahearn atttt me . com

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for all the replies. Looks like there's no shortage of options and GBS comes well recommended.

Sent you an email trialsguy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sent you a PM