consumes mass quantities

Visiting Colorado Springs next week...where to ride?

I'll be in Co. Springs next Thurs. thru Sunday morning, visiting friends and going to a wedding on Saturday afternoon, and I'm bringing my bike w/ me (C-dale 29er) and would love to ride somewhere locally.
    Any ideas on where to ride? Are there any parking fees? Anywhere NOT to go?
    Thanks!
    '12 Cannondale Flash 29 - dirt [] '09 KHS Urban Xpress - road [] '80s Cignal Montego - trainer

Resident Gear Head
    Falcon Trail, Cheyenne Canyon, Cheyenne Mountain, Palmer Park, and Ute Valley are all fun places to ride in the springs
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

consumes mass quantities
    Cool, thank you. I'm looking forward to mountain biking on actual "mountains".
    '12 Cannondale Flash 29 - dirt [] '09 KHS Urban Xpress - road [] '80s Cignal Montego - trainer

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gtrdave View Post
    Cool, thank you. I'm looking forward to mountain biking on actual "mountains".
    Ute, Palmer, and Cheyenne Mountain SP are less mountainy. They are good rides, but not "in the mountains." The Cheyenne Canyon trails (Buckhorn Climb into Captain Jacks) is in the "mountains", as is Section 16. They can be linked up for a pretty legit ride. These trails are accessible from Gold Camp Rd and Lower Gold Camp Rd.

Cheyenne Mountain State Park is the only place in the Springs I know of that you have to pay to park at ($5). But even there, you can park across the highway at the Fort Carson main entrance for free.

Captain Jacks would be my suggestion for a decent little ride. About 1K ft ascent for maybe 20-30 minutes followed by a really fun downhill portion. It spits you out on Gold Camp, a dirt road. You have two choices. Right takes you on a really gradual uphill back to the car and left takes you down to the Chutes Trailhead, which is a super fast banked singletrack run thats generally took crowded to bomb unless its early on a weekday. The quandry there is climbing another 30 minutes back to he car.

More Epic would be Buckhorn to Upperjacks, start lower jacks and bail north on Sesame and do Section 16 with a back entrance into red rocks. Plenty of fun to be had there! Not sure the total gain, but probably 2.5-3k. Some minorly techincal arts, but mostly climb up/fly down type rides.

Enjoy

consumes mass quantities
    Compared to the Delaware Valley, most anywhere else is more "mountainy"...except Kansas.

Thanks for the replies. I have a wedding to attend on Saturday and my wife wants to visit Garden of the Gods on foot while we're there, but I'd like to get 2 decent rides in between Thurs and Sun, before heading back home.

Candlestick Maker
    Garden of the Gods is worth a visit. There are also some decent (but not extensive) mountain bike trails in the park...
    baker

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Come down to Canon city, I'll Take you on a trail you'll never forget, with no traffic. Trails that is. PM if your interested.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've been over to Colorado Springs from Georgia twice in recent years and the best cross country ride I did in the area (at least from the perspective of an east coast rider) was definitely Rampart Reservoir. It's not in town but requires less than an hour drive, seems like it was 45 min max. We have good riding here in the Southern Appalachians but I'd never ridden anything like that. It's worth it for the scenery alone but the 16 miles of super smooth single track makes it perfect for the visiting east coast rider. I daydream about it sometimes. Two issues: 1. need snow conditions from the locals, it was clear by June in 2011. 2. fitness is a must coming from low elevation. It's over 8000 ft as I recall. Don't underestimate issue #2, I had an epic fail at Monarch Crest, but that's another story.

Candlestick Maker
    Rampart Rez was hit by the Waldo Canyon wildfire last year. Tomorrow is the first day it re-opens. No clue how the trail has changed, but I'm definitely interested to hear if anyone gets out there....
    baker