Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Valmont Bike Park Poached - May Delay Opening

3K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  Jdub 
#1 ·
Valmont Bike Park is NOT open yet. Riders poaching the park were on the site today, and caused damage to the site. The damage caused will delay the park, and anyone caught riding on site will be prosecuted by the city.

Very poor form was demonstrated by these riders and reflects negatively on BMA and the community. If you are thinking about sneaking over the fence for a preview, get ready for a date with the judge, our friends at the Parks Department have issued a very stern warning. The Parks Department is bending over backwards to expedite the construction and provide a great riding/racing/training facility, and we are making their job harder.

Please, it will be worth the wait.... When VBP opens, there will be NOTHING that compares.

#4 ·
The poaching is definitely lame.

On the subject of the bike park and miscreants, is this place going to be totally out of control? Boulder essentially has no in town trails of any real quality and lots of overly enthusiastic mountain bikers. I'm imagining the entire town pumped full of supplements converging on a few trails compacted into a couple square blocks. Seems like a recipe for chaos.

Don't get me wrong, I think the park is an awesome idea and really hope it works out.

#7 ·
KSC said:
The poaching is definitely lame.

On the subject of the bike park and miscreants, is this place going to be totally out of control? Boulder essentially has no in town trails of any real quality and lots of overly enthusiastic mountain bikers. I'm imagining the entire town pumped full of supplements converging on a few trails compacted into a couple square blocks. Seems like a recipe for chaos.

Don't get me wrong, I think the park is an awesome idea and really hope it works out.
Luckily you can still come to Gunbarrel and do jumps. And if you can't wait for Valmont to open, you can come right now.

#9 ·
IndecentExposure said:
If you come out and dig at Golden Bike Park, we'll let you preview it. We're a lot more laid back than those guys up north :)
Golden is full of close-minded fools who don't like to have fun, there is no reason to leave Boulder. Golden is full of close-minded fools who don't like to have fun, there is no reason to leave Boulder. Golden is full of close-minded fools who don't like to have fun, there is no reason to leave Boulder. Golden is full of close-minded fools who don't like to have fun, there is no reason to leave Boulder. Golden is full of close-minded fools who don't like to have fun, there is no reason to leave Boulder. Golden is full of close-minded fools who don't like to have fun, there is no reason to leave Boulder. Golden is full of close-minded fools who don't like to have fun, there is no reason to leave Boulder. Golden is full of close-minded fools who don't like to have fun, there is no reason to leave Boulder. Golden is full of close-minded fools who don't like to have fun, there is no reason to leave Boulder.

Just kidding, some of my best friends are Boulderites.... you know, like... hhmm, well no names come immediately to mind, but there is that guy I work with...

#15 ·
IndecentExposure said:
If you come out and dig at Golden Bike Park, we'll let you preview it. We're a lot more laid back than those guys up north :)
Hey, I've been waiting for this to open since the site said it was going to open in June? I figured it was delayed a little but it's still not open? I hope to hit it up before I hang the bikes up for the season in a few months.

As for the poachers, I agree it's lame but seriously how much damage did this really cause? :skep:

#16 ·
I don't understand how all you guys can be so callous about this??? SOMEONE RODE A BIKE IN A BIKE PARK!!!!:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

THIS IS SERIOUS SH**!!!!

You boulder boys need to put up some surveillance, this aggression SHALL NOT STAND, man.

#18 ·
have you read "the little red hen"?

Thrasher said:
Hey, I've been waiting for this to open since the site said it was going to open in June? I figured it was delayed a little but it's still not open? I hope to hit it up before I hang the bikes up for the season in a few months.
so we'll see you september 18th for the next volunteer day?

#19 ·
gotdirt said:
Don't know about him, but I believe I'll be there barring any unforeseen cataclysmic events. ;)

About Valmont, sucks people can't wait, especially knowing the sensitive situation in Boulder, but like everyone else I wonder how much damage they really could have done. Is this just a typical case of a biker incident (in a bike park nonetheless) blown way out of proportion? The only thing I can see is if they were jumping unfinished jumps, etc. and the city is worried about liability and lawsuits? That would actually make sense from a legal standpoint. The whole bikers damaging the bike park will cause delay in opening story doesn't quite fly with me for some reason.

Either way people should stay out until it's finished.

#21 ·
Thrasher said:

As for the poachers, I agree it's lame but seriously how much damage did this really cause? :skep:
Sorry, its not open. The construction is all volunteer based and we're working hard to get it running. The June date was not only way too optimistic, but very unrealistic for volunteer labor. We hope to have this open before the end of the year, but it will be a place to ride in the winter. Hang up your bike??? who does that?

#25 ·
The trails have not yet been backfilled, and the riders rode off the trails and the edges of the trails broke away. This will need to get repaired before the backfill and topsoil seeding process can begin.
The other resulting problem is the city needs to nip the problem in the bud. They went out and acquired more temporary fencing and signs, so instead of the worked building the park out, they are spending time (and money) securing the site.
BMA worked very hard to raise $500,000 towards the park, and it is a bummer to see money wasted on temp fencing instead of berms, jumps, cyclocross elements, etc.
This is a HUGE construction project. On any given day, there are up to 30 workers on site building trails, laying irrigation, planting, etc. It will be really cool when it opens, but we need to respect the process and stay off site until the it opens.
Bobby

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.