Thread: Vail-two elk

mtbr member

Vail-two elk

I'm doing this ride for the first time, and wonder about how? Ride the bike path to vail pass summit then up and over? Or is there a dirt way to access the two elk trail from up Vail. My group will be old crusty Colorado mtbike vets, we can ride big and lots of up, and want the best trail experence. Suffering expected, and somewhat enjoyed.

Suggestions?
    Online maps?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have ridden only from the gondola summit to the top of orient express where it drops into two elk. This is kind of a long climb too.
    Not positive how to get there from the pass. Great riding down into minturn!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    there are a couple ways to do it. You can park at the top of vail pass, ride up Shrine pass and down to bowman cutoff trail then to two Elks To loop it you ride it down to the bike path and back up to Vail Pass. It's a pretty steep and technical descent going that way. Another variation is ride it down to Minturn. From there you can either ride the pavement back up to Vail Pass for a big loop with lots of pavement or leave a car in Minturn

You can do like xjrides posted and climb up Vail ski area and ride down to two Elks and do either of the variations mentioned above. I usually climb Vail using the Mill creek road.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Park in Minturn, ride bike path to lionshead in vail and climb to the top, then you can ride the grand traverse over to the back bowls, a little more climbing up a dirt road and you are at the top of two elk. Downhill all the way back to minturn where you can pick up your car again.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Leave your car in Minturn. Ride up Vail bike path to where Two Elks trail comes down. Climb to Two Elks Pass and then descend to Minturn.

You're welcome.

mtbr member
    Just did this this past Sat. The trail is REALLY overgrown and visibility was a problem...almost dangerous. It's a med/low speed down, not a high speed one right now.

Edit: I know you (crazy) RCR/Steamboat XC supastars...given any thoughts to climbing 2 Elks up to Vail Pass?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Awesomist™
    Climb Game Creek or Cougar Ridge out of Minturn up to the top of Vail for maximum suffering.

EDIT: start at Shrine Pass road, climb Commando/Bowman's cutoff to Two Elk, down Two Elk to Minturn then back up Game Creek to Vail, Grand Traverse back around to Bowmans and back to your car for MAX maximum suffering. At least, I think that's the route... the details are fuzzy. The Goat did it... here's a link: Goat in a Turtle Shell: The Great Big, Damn'd Vail Ride
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    Climb Game Creek or Cougar Ridge out of Minturn up to the top of Vail for maximum suffering.

EDIT: start at Shrine Pass road, climb Commando/Bowman's cutoff to Two Elk, down Two Elk to Minturn then back up Game Creek to Vail, Grand Traverse back around to Bowmans and back to your car for MAX maximum suffering. At least, I think that's the route... the details are fuzzy. The Goat did it... here's a link: Goat in a Turtle Shell: The Great Big, Damn'd Vail Ride
    Anyone who does this ride starting and *finishing* at Shrine Pass deserves a swift kick in the ballsack. Or vag, depending on gender.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Just did this this past Sat. The trail is REALLY overgrown and visibility was a problem...almost dangerous. It's a med/low speed down, not a high speed one right now.

Edit: I know you (crazy) RCR/Steamboat XC supastars...given any thoughts to climbing 2 Elks up to Vail Pass?
    We did this trail 2 wks ago, the overgrown grass and shrubs just adds to the trail! It's nice Riding a trail that isn't very well maintained as it adds a little more to the excitement! On a side note I did go over the bars and roll about ten feet down the hill towards the creek, but that's just part of mnt biking.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply, we are going down tomorrow to ride this. Parking in minturn and going up Vail seems the best option to avoid miles of bike path. Overgrown trails are my favorite.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Thanks for the reply, we are going down tomorrow to ride this. Parking in minturn and going up Vail seems the best option to avoid miles of bike path. Overgrown trails are my favorite.
    Go up Game Creek from Minturn. Do not go up Cougar Ridge. Both have Hike a Bike. But Game Creek is easier and prettier. Usually around an 1 hour 15 min to 1 hr 30 min to the Grand Traverse for me. I'm a slowish climber though but I bet we all say that. This is the only way I like to do Two Elks now...this or this plus Meadow Mountain. Slow did this ride just the other day and said Game Creek is super over grown and the flies were bad just as a heads up.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    Go up Game Creek from Minturn.
    This! Was just wondering why no one had offered this as an option.

Must get some

e

mtbr member
    Wow, if you haven't ridden this you should go today? Wild flowers are incredible and the Trail is great
    Last edited by sbsbiker; 07-24-2013 at 08:02 PM.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    Go up Game Creek from Minturn. Do not go up Cougar Ridge. Both have Hike a Bike. But Game Creek is easier and prettier. Usually around an 1 hour 15 min to 1 hr 30 min to the Grand Traverse for me. I'm a slowish climber though but I bet we all say that. This is the only way I like to do Two Elks now...this or this plus Meadow Mountain. Slow did this ride just the other day and said Game Creek is super over grown and the flies were bad just as a heads up.

HA! I remember that day! Wasn't there a video?

Good suffering and that BBQ in minturn kicked ass!!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Did this loop Sunday- it was an ass-kicker. Couple wrong turns resulted in an additional 700' of climbing. Doesn't help I did the Dirty CU triangle (McAllister Gulch climb) on Saturday, or that I've been sidelined with a broken finger and torn shoulder the last few weeks... Good times... mostly...