mtbr member
    May 2011

New question here. Vail Trip - Intermediate Ride Advice

Hey all---I have been living in CO for about 3 months now and am loving it. I am slowly getting better at climbing----etc.

I am going to Vail next weekend and staying at The Lodge at Vail. Looking for tips for the closest trails within reason. I generally like flowing rolling, intermediate stuff and I prefer not to take the chair lift to ride. I would love some specific advice, locations and say for things either right there or within 10 to 20 minute drives.

For reference, I have ridden:

Buffalo Creek (favorite)
    Lair o Bear
    south table (kinda boring)
    green mountain (more boring)
    Three sisters
    Elk Meadows
    Bear Creek Lake
    Highlands Ranch County Trails
    Castle Rock Trails
    Flying J or whatever it is called

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Plenty of rides right out your door at LAV. Across the highway you have Son of Middle, Lost Lake and North Trail that are all worth doing. Meadow Mountain would be a great one. You can ride to it on the bike path or drive to the Forest Service Station at exit 171(Minturn) depending on what you feel like. Most rides in Vail are intermediate skill level technically though there can be some tougher climbs.

mtbr member
    There are a bunch of options within your driving parameters but why drive when you can pedal from your door.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am short on time and want to get as much ride time as I can. This is supposed to be a romantic getaway so I am sending my wife to the spa while I ride.

What I really want is some nice, fast, flowly single track without so much climbing that it kills me. What do you rec. ?

mtbr member
    I would say from where you are bike right out the door and ride the North Trail or Son of Middle Creek for a quickie while she's at the spa. You can google both and find a ton of info. You just need to ride under I70, head west on the N Frontage Rd and up Red Sandstone Rd to access both.

Found this with a quick search to give you an idea of what your are in for.
    Mountain Biking in Vail, CO. The North Trail (Upper Section) 8/19/2011 - YouTube

In my opinion....Send her shopping and hit the spa later with her. It will feel real nice after a ride. Have a nice time......

djrez4
    Apr 2012
    Rode up Red Sandstone today.

Both North Trail and Son of Middle Creek have "closed" signs posted. Unless we get a whole bunch of rain, I don't expect that to change.

The mountain itself isn't much fun either. All of the trails are covered with 2-6" of moondust.

mtbr member
    Yikes! Didn't realize that. Pray for some rain! They say the monsoons should be starting this week.....We'll see.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by shodan22 View Post
    I prefer not to take the chair lift to ride.
    Well now we can't be Internet friends.

mtbr member
    Got a bunch of rain this afternoon/evening.