PDB
    SUFD

Vail DH insight? Other RM DH

I know that the lifts open up on friday the 23rd - but I haven't ridden DH there since 2003. I remember riding some pretty good "renegade" trails, but these were frequently getting shut down. Anyone know what the riding scene is like there? Worth the $30?
    I just moved out here this past winter, so most of my DHing has been out East.
    I rode Keystone this past weekend - the trails there are really good! Not much expansion since 2003, but there's a couple of new trails. They put in a fun little wall ride, a "Drop Zone" with a variety of drop's, short ladder sections, fun berms - I'd say worth the $29 lift ticket!

I'll be helmet cam'ing one place per weekend for the next few weeks and posting trail reviews so that people can get a good idea of what they are getting info with the price of a lift ticket - sme places are worth it(keystone) and some places aren't (steamboat - no DH).

Also - any other lift access places to check out? WinterPark? Brek? Copper? I know that there are some kick a** places in the san juan's (telluride and silverton) - but I think that most people like to know about a variety of places within a decent drive.

mtbr member
    As for Vail, yes it is definitely worth the $$. They've done a pretty good job of "closing" the pirate trails and threaten to take the pass if caught riding. But that's nothing new. Magic Forest and Old 9 are the newest trails and are a total blast. They've been doing a lot of construction in town and at the base of the mtn, which means less time spent making trails. The old Lionshead square is no more. Just a giant construction zone.

I'm not sure about Copper, Breck or Winter Park.

Can't wait to see your helmet vids!
    Biker? I don't even know her.

Motion activated
    I bought a pass at winter park since it was only $100. It'll pay for itself after 5 days.

I've ridden "long trail" and "the DH" a few times. Long requires a lot of pedaling (to keep your speed up) and some climbing. It's got some nice berms and some fun swoopy sections, but there are also some berms that end before the corner and spit you out into a sand pit.

The tables towards the top of "the DH" are stupid short. You can either keep your speed and overshoot the landing, or check your brakes and yell "weeeee" as you get 1 foot of air. The bottom 1/2 of the DH was closed....

Mountain Goat is supposed to be good, but you also have to climb/traverse for 15-20mins to get to it. I didn't get a chance to ride it.

Vail was fun when a season pass cost $49....

Canít wait to see your Vids. Nice idea!
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I was at Winter Park this past weekend and there were plenty of gravity riders out on dh bikes. I cannot tell you about the trails that are dh trails since I was doing a cross country race. But if numbers are any indication I will go back with my dh bike. Winter Park has Kona as their bike line, and alot of Konas were downhilling it.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by roaddog
    I was at Winter Park this past weekend and there were plenty of gravity riders out on dh bikes. I cannot tell you about the trails that are dh trails since I was doing a cross country race. But if numbers are any indication I will go back with my dh bike. Winter Park has Kona as their bike line, and alot of Konas were downhilling it.
    Yeah I was there sat/sun riding the lifts. There were lots of DH bikes, just not lots of DH trails . I'm sure you could have fun on an 8" + travel rig there as long as you don't mind riding uphill a bit and pedaling a lot. I heard that WP is planning on building some new stuff, so fingers crossed. It would also be great if the trails dumped you back at the base of the lift, so you didn't have to dismount and navigate your way though the crowds of gapers - annoying for them and us. Hope you race went well
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.