mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Vail Area Trail Info

I'll be in the Vail area next week for a wedding and am looking to get in a couple of good rides while I'm in town. Before all you forum nazis go directing me to the search function... I have tried that. There doesn't seem to be a ton of recent info on the topic, but from what I found it looks like Two Elks and PMT are good bets...

Having never ridden bikes in Vail before, how accessible are the trails? Are they mostly at the resort or scattered around the area? Loops, out & backs, or shuttles?. I'm coming from Park City so I'm used to riding at altitude and am looking for some fun riding with a nice change of scenery.

Also, what bike would be best suited for getting the most out of the trails in the area. A 5" trail bike or a freeride bike?

Thanks.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Dude - there aren't any trails worth riding in Vail. Everybody knows that...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Here is a previous link. Vail has incredible ridding, but is often overlooked (its cool to hate on Vail)

Vail Trip/ Surrounding Area

On Vail Mtn there are 2 new "flow trails" that rip. Big Mamba and Radio Flyer. They start rignt at the top of the Gondola, get the free Mtn Summer trail map (its online also). Big Mamba to Hank's hideway is the longest downhill i have ever ridden (not in Europe) its fun as hell banked berms and whoops using the terrain to maximize the length of the downhill.

there are a ton of close singletrack loops in Vail proper. (check the link attached) Bufferher Creek, son of middle, Meadow Mountain and Two Elk (car shuttle from vail pass to town of minturn and bike back to vail) are by far the best in the immediate vicinity. There is also the North Trail network for shorter loops (5-8 milers)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    And bring a Lat 40 map. There are some longer loops to be had up Red Sandstone Road. Climb the road to Lost Lake trailhead, get on the trail and go past Lake and up to Son of a Middle Creek and down that way. Two Elk down to Minturn is a gem that should not be missed while you are in town. However, based on the Forest Service website, Two Elk is closed until July 1st.

Living the High Life
    I'll show my age, and others who know, by saying: hmmm, Radio Flyer? I've heard that before.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Vail Mtn website actually has a list of other area trails (buffeher, son fo middle...)

Vail Mountain Biking | Vail.com

Lost Lake has way too many trees down.

And despite its name, Radio Flyer is a semi serious trail (built by ski patrol, parts of it many years old)

5" travel bike is perfect for Vail...and all of Colorado.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoMadness View Post
    5" travel bike is perfect for Vail...and all of Colorado.
    Multiple time World Cup winner Greg Minnaar thinks otherwise.

*Strange, Vail took the '94 worlds course off their map. They seem to do that every other year.

Colorado
    I'm betting they took it off this year because they don't want people going over there with the new gondola construction.