mtbr member
    Sep 2004

vacation....Pueblo,Springs area,looking for good ride!!

will be going there the first week of july.i am actualy from Beulah which is just 20 miles west of Pueblo so i have ridden most the trails in that area and in san isabel and i think a place called captain jacks up in springs.

looking for a diffrent place to ride than what i used to 10 years ago but dont want to drive to far out of the way.

i am sure the mountain climbing will be rough considering i have been riding here in Houston for the past few years.

mtbr member
    You must spill the beans on the riding around Beulah. I live in Penrose and work in the 'Springs.

Captain Jacks is good. Nice beefy climb (if you start at the bottom of The Chutes), some road, some good singletrack on the way back down.

Really depends on what you're up for...technical? Climbing? LONG semi-"dh" run?
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Beulah has a couple nice trails.there are a couple that go over into san isabel area that are fun.

i liked captain jacks and whatever the lower trail was that was a climb over a hill then back down into the same lot.whats the name of that one?

anyway just loking for a fun day of riding with a good mix of about everything but i dont know how in shape i will be.i do race in sport class down here but the altitude and climbing may take a toll on me

Team Inflexible
    Shuttle Squirrel Creek in Beulah it is one of the best rides in the front range period!!

You start at Daven Port Campground and Finish on the west part of town, total about a 7 mile down hill. Usually i ride a lariat going up squrrel creek past daven port camp ground to second mace, then Dome Rock Trail back to squirrel. This is about a 14 mile ride,, pretty tough climbing involved with this route but Dome rock is a whole nother gem in itself..

Squirrel Creek is sooo fun, you end up crossing the creek about 2 dozen times and ther are tons of sweet techie spots, rock gardens, and a fast fire road with nice sized water bars to hit.... I would just start to laugh after splashing into the cool creek after what seems like a 100 times... So far not to many mtbrs ride this area.. I rode it about 5 times last year and saw maybe 1 mountain biker. Another reason this is one of the better rides on the FR.

The soil is much better/diffrent on this trail than around the pikes peak region and there is much more foliage. I guess that is why the call it the wet mountains.

You may want to try the red gate trails in pueblo.. Tons of sweet riding out there Pueblos equivlent to Palmer park. Ride in the evening or early morning... It will get 100+

mtbr member
    I've done Pueblo Reservoir a few times - there are some nices spots in there. Straight up on riding morning or evening - I know how hot it gets out there.

Squirrel Creak...sounds like a good weekend exploration coming up.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    squirrel creek is nice and being we are staying up there i am sure i will ride that one morning.

were is dome rock trail?once you get up into the campground do you go to the highway?

if i remmember right just up the road to the right is bishops castle right?

anyway any other ideas?we used to ride out at the nature center often there in pueblo.

Team Inflexible
    to get to dome rock you need to go up Second mace which starts right after Davenport Campground. If you hit the road that goes to the castle you have gone to far.

Second mace is a steep fireroad type climb that goes up for about 3 miles.Once you get to the top you will hit a sweet down hill that takes you to the Dome rock trail head that you will see on your right. There are signs posted. This ride is also in the Falcon Colorado Springs Trail guide.

Dome rock is cool down hill. I would describe it as raw, not to many people ride this one. Just check it out it is worth the climb...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    gotcha!!!

once at the bottom of dome rock were does that put you?does it intersect with the road again or squirrel creek so i can head back down?

Team Inflexible
    Dome rock intersects about mid way on Squirrel Creek. You should see the sign..

I would not recommend climbing up dome rock. It is a pain. much better climbing up squirrel creek and seconed mace.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    sounds very good!!!

anybody want to ride with me ,say july 4th in the morning your welcome to.i figure it shouldnt take to long to do that loop but i will have to see how my shape is.

let me know...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Beulah Squirrel Cr. trailhead CLOSED

The lower trail access (in Beulah) for Squirrel Creek, which crosses private land, is now closed--many NO TRESPASSING signs and a landowner threatening to call the cops. The only other access that I know of from the lower part of the trail (Beulah) is Pueblo Mountain Park, which is closed to bikes. Anyone know how we can access the trail from Beulah now?