Thread: vacation help

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

vacation help

I need some help from you local mountain bikers and any and all input would be much appreciated. I booked a flight to Denver in September. I plan to be in CO for about a week. I have visited Breck in the past during the summer and loved it. Some things I would like to see while in CO:
    -Garden of the Gods
    -Rocky Mountain National Forest
    -Grand Mesa National Park
    Our goals for the trip are in no particular order:
    -See some sights
    -Do some mountain biking
    -Climb a 14er
    -Relax a couple days
    -Consume mass quantities of Colorado beer
    My questions are:
    Can I knock out all three in week? if so, is that too much car time? Are there any mountain biking musts in and around these areas?
    Is Estes Park touristy and worth the expense? Is there some ST to hit in that area (wife insists it must be scenic mountain biking) Can you recommend a place to stay?

My thoughts, fly in, head to RMNP, hike, see the sights, stay a day or two. Drive to Breck, chill, drink, ride. If we get bored head to GMNP for a day. Flight leaves DEN at 5pm on a thurs. Wake up early that day in Breck, drive to GOTG, check it out, head to airport.

Thoughts? Advice

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by xtanker66; 07-12-2010 at 08:29 AM.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    You've got way too much planned for a week. And the last goal will severely impact goals 2 and 3.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Garden of the Gods is cool, but you might have a similar experience by visiting Red Rocks or Roxborough...it would be possible to hit one of these areas, then still make it to DIA for your 5 o'clock flight,

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Oh - and you'll get lost if you try to find Grand Mesa Nat'l Park. Mainly 'cause it doesn't exist.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    FIXED
    Quote Originally Posted by xtanker66
    Some things I would like to do while in CO:
    -Do some mountain biking
    -Do some mountain biking
    -Do some mountain biking
    -Do some mountain biking
    -Do some mountain biking
    -Do some mountain biking
    -Do some mountain biking
    -Do some mountain biking
    -Do some mountain biking
    -Do some mountain biking
    -Do some mountain biking

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the help. Looks like I need to be less ambitious with my time. How is the XC riding in Winter Park? The location looks good. We are no DH folks, but like our xc to be a challenge. Are the trails as good as the websites say? They are saying 600 miles of trails.
    Thoughts, opinions?

thanks

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by xtanker66
    Thanks for the help. Looks like I need to be less ambitious with my time. How is the XC riding in Winter Park? The location looks good. We are no DH folks, but like our xc to be a challenge. Are the trails as good as the websites say? They are saying 600 miles of trails.
    Thoughts, opinions?

thanks
    If you're wanting XC, go to Breck. IMO Summit County has the best selection of singletrack (short/long/really long rides), a number of breweries, and not *quite* so many dead trees.

Although in that last area they're getting close to Grand Co.

Thread Terrorist
    Estes Park... uhm... well, yeah, you could do that. Its pretty much built for tourism.

Go to Summit. Ride, hike, get down to Denver and go on a brewery tour. Just watch out for Skared and me... we've been known to get kicked out of pretty much anywhere.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Sounds like our best bet is to head back to Breck. Thanks for all the help. I'll keep an eye out for you hooligans