Dickhouse
    Dec 2010

Ute Valley Pro XCT course. XC or CX?

I'm planning on attending the race this weekend at Ute Valley in the Springs, but will not have a chance to pre-ride the course. Can anyone here chime in and give me (and others) a good description of the course. I hope it's not another dirt rode/double track race (ala Battle the Bear).

I will be racing singlespeed, so am also wondering about gearing. It doesn't look like there is much climbing at all , which already bores me. Is it just a speedfest? Should I put the rigid fork back on the bike?

Any thoughts or opinions greatly appreciated. Cheers.

mtbr member
    I don't know the course route and can't find any maps, but in general, there's a couple of short, but steep climbs. There's a couple of short, but rocky sections. There's a bunch of singletrack. If they route it through the central meadow, there's some doubletrack/jeep road. One section has some real DH type terrain. Some real sand in sections, especially with how dry it's been here.

The loop is between 4-6 miles, depending on how the course is laid out with a bit of everything in there. The bits are short, overall, and nicely mixed. I've seen full DH rigs out there, XC mostly and even some wally-word type bikes.

You could probably do the race on any type of bike.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by dickt3030 View Post
    I'm planning on attending the race this weekend at Ute Valley in the Springs, but will not have a chance to pre-ride the course. Can anyone here chime in and give me (and others) a good description of the course. I hope it's not another dirt rode/double track race (ala Battle the Bear).

I will be racing singlespeed, so am also wondering about gearing. It doesn't look like there is much climbing at all , which already bores me. Is it just a speedfest? Should I put the rigid fork back on the bike?

Any thoughts or opinions greatly appreciated. Cheers.
    Hardtail with front suspension would probably be your fastest bet for this course. It isn't flat and it isn't boring dirt road. You would put yourself at a significant disadvantage with a CX bike. A rigid fork is certainly doable, but again would be a disadvantage (IMHO).

I have ridden a lot of miles in the park on a singlespeed 29er with a 34/20 ratio. There is one stupid steep climb that forces me to that low of a ratio. For a race, I could probably get by with 34/18 and just crush my knees on that one climb.
    Last edited by baker; 06-15-2012 at 09:56 AM.
    baker

mtbr member
    I'm new to Colorado riding but ride there all the time. To me it's too rocky for a rigid set-up
    Id rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth........Steve McQueen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbRN View Post
    Which direction? CW or CCW?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

Candlestick Maker
    From this link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...G9c/edit?pli=1
    it appears to be clockwise. That means you are going down the super steep section I was referring to earlier.
    baker

Twin Six METAL Team
    I have pre-ridden the course several times over the last week, and it's definitely not a boring dirt road. It's actually a pretty fun course. In my opinion, there's only one tricky, rocky descent...within the first mile. After that, you can pretty much rip it until about 1.6 miles in, where there is a short, 7-13% grade climb. Once you reach the top, you can rip it again until mile 2.5, then a long climb, at the top....turn right and tear it up on a fun, rocky descent. The last rocky descent is a blast! You can fly down it!

Yes, the course is being run clockwise, and will start/finish on the dirt track at the middle school.

Here's a link to the course map: Bike on Saturday, January 14, 2012 - Google Maps

Hope you make it out!

Dickhouse
    Dec 2010
    Thanks a lot guys! This info is greatly appreciated. I'm going to pre-ride the course with a 32:16 to see if I can push it up the climbs, erring on the side of speed. May drop it a few gear inches if I'm struggling.

Hows the trail conditions? Kitty litter loose, hardpack, sand, rocky?

Twin Six METAL Team
    The course is awesome and has a little of everything you listed! Good luck tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dickt3030 View Post
    Hows the trail conditions? Kitty litter loose, hardpack, sand, rocky?
    Ammm, yes.

Clockwise, huh? That means riding up the ledges on the east side and down the steep climb behind the middle school and down the section along the ridge. Hmmm... that may change where I go to watch the race.

Personally, I think it would be a better race - spectator-wise and rider-wise - to go CCW. That way you get some cool ledges to go down, including the "bigger" one with a 90 degree turn at the bottom, the short but really steep lung buster climb and then up the trail along the ridge, which has some nice ledge climbs. But that's just me, and what do I know.

I just hope they don't trash the trail... it's so dry, all that traffic can't be good!

[Edit: Well, at least on the western side, the trails look pretty good after the races. The rain helped some. I only saw a few Gu wrappers and one water bottle. I wonder if the race organizers are required to send post race walkers or riders to pick up stuff like that?]
    Last edited by skiahh; 06-16-2012 at 06:16 PM.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany