Thread: UST Front

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

UST Front

I'm looking for recommendations for a light UST front tire that works well on the Front Range trails such as Mt. Falcon, GM, Apex, Chimney Gulch. I'm thinking less than 650g.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    How does 580g + 30g of stans grab you?

I am using the Bontrager 2.2 Tubeless Ready (TR) Revolt Super X. It would have a dry tread pattern. If you need something a little more aggressive, try the Jones X version in the same size. You must use sealant with this setup, but I recommend you do that anyway with tubeless. I cannot comment on which one, as I have only used Stans. Having said that, I have had no reason to look elsewhere...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by schwing_ding
    How does 580g + 30g of stans grab you?

I am using the Bontrager 2.2 Tubeless Ready (TR) Revolt Super X. It would have a dry tread pattern. If you need something a little more aggressive, try the Jones X version in the same size. You must use sealant with this setup, but I recommend you do that anyway with tubeless. I cannot comment on which one, as I have only used Stans. Having said that, I have had no reason to look elsewhere...
    I've been looking for those but can't find them. Where do you buy them since Trek/Bontrager don't sell online? I am currently using the Bontrager Revolt Super X in UST that came with my bike as that is about the lightest UST I can find. I'm interested in trying Tubeless Ready but have seem some bad reviews on them saying things like they tear easily.

I've never had to use sealant with UST myself although I would be willing to use it since it is required with light tubeless ready tires. I'm adverse to sealant because I change out tires weekly based on where I'm riding.

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Wheatridge Cyclery

Quote Originally Posted by Thought Criminal 9
    I've been looking for those but can't find them. Where do you buy them since Trek/Bontrager don't sell online? I am currently using the Bontrager Revolt Super X in UST that came with my bike as that is about the lightest UST I can find. I'm interested in trying Tubeless Ready but have seem some bad reviews on them saying things like they tear easily.

I've never had to use sealant with UST myself although I would be willing to use it since it is required with light tubeless ready tires. I'm adverse to sealant because I change out tires weekly based on where I'm riding.

Wheatridge Cyclery has them. I've been using them on and off for 6 months. They are basically a slightly thicker standard tire with a slightly different bead. I ran a Jones XR rear tire for six months on all the front range trails, and moab without issue. The front tire hasn't seen as much use, but it's been problem free.

Of course people say they tear easy. They are a 540-560 gm tire. They are not as tough as an 800gm UST. That being said, I also use on a 450gm standard tire ran tubeless without tearing issues. I would look at your history. Do you have sidewall or tearing issues with your tires now. If you do, look out, if you are easy on them like me, the Jones will last just fine.

If you are concerned, you can go with a Michelin XCR DRY2. Just make sure you get the new version (dry2) as they have a thicker sidewall than the old. They don't last real long on the rear (dual compound), but I have a front tire that has lasted for about 200 miles without much wear. Mine weigh about 680gms. They are excellent on hardpack, but I have washed them out on loose soil, where a true nobby is needed. duh....