Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    -A
    May 2008

Using Crank/Bash guards in Colorado

Anyone use bash Guards out here? I am new out here, i didn't use them in New England, but there are alot more rocks out here and they are much bigger... Plus i have a SRAM x9 drive train to protect... Any thoughts or recommendations?

-A

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by apo617
    Anyone use bash Guards out here? I am new out here, i didn't use them in New England, but there are alot more rocks out here and they are much bigger... Plus i have a SRAM x9 drive train to protect... Any thoughts or recommendations?

-A
    Lot's of people use em.

This is mine.
    IMG_2020.JPG

I think I can.

You know its a good idea when

You see a single speed with one.

All the teeth on you 55 ring are nubs.

Most xc bikes have them on.

I think you get it, the only time you need your big ring is if your riding on the rode or something flat, not much of that out here.

.02 cent opinion

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

..ouch
    Definitely a good investment. Although it still won't stop you from going through a few X9 rear derailuers.

mtbr member
    Where and how much did you get those booties for the dog? I need some for snowshoeing with my furry pal.

Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    Lot's of people use em.

This is mine.
    IMG_2020.JPG

Rides Uphill Slow

Yep

I'm running a 36/22/bash. Great combo for out here. You are more tempted to try a line if you aren't worried about taking a few teeth off of your big ring.
    I'm here for the downhill

mtbr member
    i need to get one. I never use my big ring and I am constantly worried about taking a few teeth out of it.

skillz to pay billz
    yep just put one on

ride
    Here's a good rule of thumb. Don't change anything for now. If you find that you're hitting your big ring often/hard enough to bend it, then ditch it and run a bashguard. Otherwise, keep the big ring on.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

trail waggler

Or try...

Doing what I did about 7 years ago, grind the teeth off your big ring for more clearance! When you finally crack it, get a bash! Been running a 36/22/bash for 6 years, works great for me, but then, I like those rocks in them 'thar mountains!
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEMTBR COLORADO
    You see a single speed with one.

All the teeth on you 55 ring are nubs.

Most xc bikes have them on.

I think you get it, the only time you need your big ring is if your riding on the rode or something flat, not much of that out here.

.02 cent opinion
    LOL !

Good advice.

I run guards on all 3 of my bikes: SS HT, 4" dualie & 6" dualie.
    Ain't no need for a big ring out here unless you're on the road.
    Life....the original terminal illness

fyyff
    Yeah, it's called my never used big ring

WWJR
    just threw on an e-thirteeen today as a matter of fact. my big ring took a pretty gnar hit, so...

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by apo617

-A
    Whoa. Where were you riding in New England???? My bashrings get way more abuse in CT and NY than it ever did in CO!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Living the High Life
    I decided to try a big ring, 44/32/22, for a while because it came with my new XT cranks. After a few weeks I notice all it did was lose a few teeth, I never used it. I changed it back to 24/36.

But I'm thinking of putting it to 22/36 for better climbing. Anyone ever have problems with the big of difference between 2 rings?

I think I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover
    Whoa. Where were you riding in New England???? My bashrings get way more abuse in CT and NY than it ever did in CO!

SCRUB!!!!

We need picture

Nice to see your still out and about. How was the winter back there.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    Here's a good rule of thumb. Don't change anything for now. If you find that you're hitting your big ring often/hard enough to bend it, then ditch it and run a bashguard. Otherwise, keep the big ring on.
    This is good advice. I've been riding CO trails since 1993 and never had a bash ring and have never had to replace a big ring. YMMV.

Rides Uphill Slow
    I was heard that such a big difference wasn't a good idea but I've been running a 22/36/bash with no problem. I'm actually running a ramped 22 and a no ramp salsa 36. Some of most crisp shifts I've ever had. I did find that most bash guards only cover up to a 34 tooth so I had to get one that would cover the 36 tooth. Not a big deal just a little FYI for anyone wanting to try out a 36.
    I'm here for the downhill

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hookler
    I did find that most bash guards only cover up to a 34 tooth so I had to get one that would cover the 36 tooth. Not a big deal just a little FYI for anyone wanting to try out a 36.
    Just fyi, BBG bashguards come in different sizes, are cheap ($14 shipped) and work well. I've got three of them and I'm completely happy. Non-blingy but functional.

http://www.bbgbashguard.com/index.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hookler
    I was heard that such a big difference wasn't a good idea but I've been running a 22/36/bash with no problem. I'm actually running a ramped 22 and a no ramp salsa 36. Some of most crisp shifts I've ever had. I did find that most bash guards only cover up to a 34 tooth so I had to get one that would cover the 36 tooth. Not a big deal just a little FYI for anyone wanting to try out a 36.
    It shouldn't be a big deal especially if you have a seat tube clamp derailleur. Those E-type and braze-ons might limit your possibilities. A properly tuned road compact front derailleur can handle a 50-34 front combo so I'd expect that ordinarily you would be fine. Usually you'll be able to find the max jump on the manufacturer's website in the FAQ's.

Living the High Life
    I've got a 36 guard, it came with a different crankset. You can get DH guards up to 40 if you want.

Armchair Sasquatcheror

Yes on the Bash guard

I haven't ran a big ring on a mountain bike in over 10 years. If you are trail riding, why do you need a big ring anyway? Also, you can run a bigger ring/rings, with a bigger bash guard for a higher gearing. DH'ers do this. Most mountain bikes come stock with compact Mt. bike rings.

I know a guy who is a very aggressive rider and last year he tore his calf open on his big ring. He now runs a bash guard.
    Attached Images Attached Images

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveinsasquatch
    I haven't ran a big ring on a mountain bike in over 10 years. If you are trail riding, why do you need a big ring anyway?
    Seriously?

I use the big ring a LOT on my trail rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Seriously?

I use the big ring a LOT on my trail rides.

What trail are you riding that you would need the big ring besides fireroad at Waterton, and that's not even considered a trail. I only keep the big ring for commuting.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    What trail are you riding that you would need the big ring besides fireroad at Waterton, and that's not even considered a trail. I only keep the big ring for commuting.
    I'm in the big ring on the perimeter trail at Green Mountain, the fire road up on the IC loop, Red Mesa loop up at Deer Creek... just to name a few off the top of my head. I *do* have the tendency to stay in the middle of my cassette, so maybe that accounts for it?

It's also handy when I'm riding to the library or the grocery store or just around the 'hood.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast