Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I think I can.

URGENT Info Mount Herman

Tomorrow night, Tuesday June 12th is our normal trail night, we have word that change is in the works.

For all those who know the area target shooting has almost completely shut down the upper section of Limbaugh Canyon, this is coming to an end. With continued complaints, numerous actions taken by the USFS law enforcement and the extreme fire danger it seems they have seen the light and will be working to close the upper shooting area, this is long over due.

What is the plan.

We will be meeting at the main parking lot at the corner of Mount Herman Rd. and Nursery, the times will be 5pm and 6pm. The plan is to shuttle as many people to the upper area for site clean up, parking is very limited up top.

I walked the site yesterday and all I can say is its a mess, enough trash to fill 2-4 500 gallon dumpsters. Friends of Monument Preserve (FOMP) will provide some tools and trash bags, if you can bring gloves and rakes from home that would help, the USFS will pick up trash on Thursday and shut down the site by weeks end. This depends on availability of USFS Fire.

If there are public groups needing community service hours we have the ability to sign off on those as well, ie. boy scouts, school project etc.

This is very big news and hope to have a big turn out as this will benefit all trail users for years to come.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

Goat of Legend
    This is awesome news Joe! Sorry I can't get down to help tomorrow night but if there is some weekend days this will be going on I may be able to.

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Are you talking about bagging the trash and leaving it until forest service has a chance to get up there. If that's the plan I can see the shooters waiting around the corner for the clean up crews to leave so they can blow the hell outta the fresh bags of trash.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEMTBR COLORADO View Post
    ... I walked the site yesterday and all I can say is its a mess, enough trash to fill 2-4 500 gallon dumpsters. Friends of Monument Preserve (FOMP) will provide some tools and trash bags, if you can bring gloves and rakes from home that would help...
    An idea that I've had for this kind of site, but haven't had a chance to try: bring a generator and several shop vacs. It's almost impossible to pick up small bits of glass, .22 casings, and other micro-trash. But you could vacuum them up if you had some 110.

If I was closer I'd be happy to loan out my generator for something like this.

We've had good luck up near Salida cleaning up totally trashed areas. Even the dirtbags who dump and shoot up dumped stuff have a hard time going in and trashing an area that isn't already trashed.

Hope it works for you!
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Candlestick Maker
    Great news! It'll be tough for me to swing a trip, since I've got the little ones tomorrow night. But, I'll see what I can do.
    baker

I think I can.

Vac's and generators

Tom,
    That sounds like a good idea except the USFS may have an issue with us running a generator with these fire conditions.

Have you ever tried large magnets, think that will work.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

Candlestick Maker
    I can't actually find any fire restrictions currently for Pike National Forest or El Paso County.

Using a generator and shop vac together is definitely an interesting idea. I just have a tiny little generator, not sure it'll drive my shop vac, but I might have to try it out.
    baker

Team Inflexible
    Joe I am working late again tonight. One of these days I will get up there and help out!

Good work fighting this battle!

I think I can.

For those showing up

Please bring leaf rakes and big shovel if possible, these tools will work for the most part.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    I can't actually find any fire restrictions currently for Pike National Forest or El Paso County.

Using a generator and shop vac together is definitely an interesting idea. I just have a tiny little generator, not sure it'll drive my shop vac, but I might have to try it out.
    Colorado Division of Emergency Management: Fire Bans & Restrictions

Seems you'll be vacuuming a lot of dust and clogging the filter mighty fast?

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    Colorado Division of Emergency Management: Fire Bans & Restrictions

Seems you'll be vacuuming a lot of dust and clogging the filter mighty fast?
    Most shop vacs can be set up without a dust filter. The ones I've had have a course foam filter around the air pump that you can wrap with a fine filter and secure with a ring, and you just wouldn't use that, let the dust blow out.

But yeah, it might take popping the top off every 10 minutes or so to give it a whack and knock dust out.

Team Velveeta™
    Tom,
    That sounds like a good idea except the USFS may have an issue with us running a generator with these fire conditions.

Have you ever tried large magnets, think that will work.
    Don't think magnets work on brass.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Don't think magnets work on brass.
    A lot of steel casings out there too.... probably what they're using them for.

They use them at the shooting range. You might be able to borrow one from a range and then give all the brass you collect as payment?

EDIT: no magnets don't work on 100% brass.

I think I can.
    So believe it or not they actually closed two shooting area's up on the mountain. They posted signes, blocked the pull outs with rocks and put up a cable barrier.
    Wonder what it will be like to ride Limbaugh Cyn and not worry about my life, what a concept.

By the way Tomp, the soil conditions for this area consist of p gravel and powder sand, vacuum would had been full of rocks not shells. Rakes and hands work the best.

Wonder if people are going to complain.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

Candlestick Maker
    So believe it or not they actually closed two shooting area's up on the mountain. They posted signes, blocked the pull outs with rocks and put up a cable barrier.
    Wonder what it will be like to ride Limbaugh Cyn and not worry about my life, what a concept.

By the way Tomp, the soil conditions for this area consist of p gravel and powder sand, vacuum would had been full of rocks not shells. Rakes and hands work the best.

Wonder if people are going to complain.
    Go Joe and FOMP!

I'm sure people will complain, but in an organized fashion? I'm just wondering how long the barriers and signs will last.

Closing the upper two shooting areas is great, but there are still two below that are unsafe/disgusting. The road should really have a "No Shooting for 6 miles" sign from the intersection of Red Rocks Dr and Mount Herman Rd...
    baker

Inflexable...
    Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Go Joe and FOMP!

I'm sure people will complain, but in an organized fashion? I'm just wondering how long the barriers and signs will last.

Closing the upper two shooting areas is great, but there are still two below that are unsafe/disgusting. The road should really have a "No Shooting for 6 miles" sign from the intersection of Red Rocks Dr and Mount Herman Rd...
    What is stopping us from replacing that sign?
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

I think I can.

We thought of that

Officially the signs are Gov't property and I like my freedom, but there has been much talk about options. One of our last options prior to USFS action was an occupy movement, cleaning the affected areas and putting up our own signs was in the works. I don't think it will be long before they realize there is any way to make the lower shooting areas safe and forced to close them down, at that point there will be no place to shoot for at least 8 miles up the road. The goal is 12 miles just like rampart range road out of Garden of the Gods, but as some are aware the USFS does not want to ruffle the feathers of the NRA and changing the signs would do just that, so I am guessing they are going to try and please both sides by limiting access but not denying people's right to shoot legally and safely.

FOMP along with the communities of Monument and Palmer Lake have worked hard to resolve this issue with the USFS, this is a big win for home owners and trail users.

Anyone wanna ride Limbaugh this weekend? I am thinking the flowers will be at there peek soon

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Anyone wanna ride Limbaugh this weekend? I am thinking the flowers will be at there peek soon
    I'm going to do a Father's Day hike up there I think. We'll see you up there maybe.

(and I'm still dressing in orange just in case)

Candlestick Maker
    baker

I think I can.

Bright Colors

KMan, I would not recognize you if you did not wear orange, or something with a tie dye pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    I'm going to do a Father's Day hike up there I think. We'll see you up there maybe.

(and I'm still dressing in orange just in case)

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Is the lower Limbaugh canyon bypass open?
    Or do you still have to go out to the north to avoid the private property?

Thanks

I think I can.

There is a workaround

Before you drop into the neighborhood you will see a trail heading west or Right that takes you around the water tower

You will love the climb

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

Inflexable...
    From the point at the end of Limbaugh you ride down for about 100 yards and there will be a trail that branches to the right and up. This trail takes you up and over the water tower and someone's property. You will be so far above the water tower you will not even see it.
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Before you drop into the neighborhood you will see a trail heading west or Right that takes you around the water tower

You will love the climb
    Must be real SS friendly

Does that then connect to the Black Pearl by the memorial?

Thanks for the update.

Cant wait to ride Limbaugh from the top without the lead poisoning

BSF

I think I can.

Final thoughts

So KCHRI and I rode Limbaugh Cyn starting from the road where the 715 crossed, headed up to the 4 way intersection, place where you take direct and indirect fire from 2 different directions, the silence was deafening. In the 12 years I have been using this trail not once on a Sunday mid day, 12:30 to be exact has it been quiet, no bullets flying overhead, the constant ringing of gun fire absent and we only heard 1 shooter way up the canyon. I hope this is the new norm, really it should have been this way all along.
    Thanks to the folks at the USFS for listening and making a decision based on the good of all not just one user group.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast