High Desert MTBer

Upcoming trip to CO. looking for something easy for my SO.

My partner and I are heading to the mountains near Denver from AZ. for a road trip soon to visit friends, and will be bringing bikes. I will probably get a chance to get up onto some more techie stuff, but my girlfriend is very much a beginner, and if we get out together, I will be looking for some ideas for a beginner trail with some good scenery in the area. She has done some very basic singletrack here in the Tucson area, but nothing too taxing. Once about 20 years ago I rode up Waterton Canyon, and that was beautiful. Not sure if that is still an option? Any other ideas?

mtbr member
    For true beginner trails: Bear Creek Lake in Morrison, South Valley Park in Littleton, Elk Meadows in Evergreen (don't go up Bergen Peak!), Marshall Mesa in Boulder. All of these are good trails to take a beginner that won't get them in over their head and hating you.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

not actually bad :)
    Flying J Ranch and Meyers Ranch are both really good for what you are describing, IMHO. Where exactly are you going to be in the "mountains near Denver" - we can give better ideas.
    Old Codger

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy! View Post
    Flying J Ranch and Meyers Ranch are both really good for what you are describing, IMHO. Where exactly are you going to be in the "mountains near Denver" - we can give better ideas.
    And Flying J wins handily over Meyers. I'd consider Meyer's amount of climbing a bit too much for beginner flatlanders. Flying J doesn't have that...

Pivot Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    And Flying J wins handily over Meyers. I'd consider Meyer's amount of climbing a bit too much for beginner flatlanders. Flying J doesn't have that...
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    For true beginner trails: Bear Creek Lake in Morrison, South Valley Park in Littleton, Elk Meadows in Evergreen (don't go up Bergen Peak!), Marshall Mesa in Boulder. All of these are good trails to take a beginner that won't get them in over their head and hating you.
    Same for the Elk Meadows loop -- higher elevation really hurts the flatlanders. I 2nd Baconman -- Flying J or BCLP....
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    If you get a bit further north, Blue Sky Trail in Ft. Collins. It's a great trail for beginners and the more experienced. Just make sure you enter from Horsetooth Reservoir, as the other two access points are decidedly non-beginner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yetigirl View Post
    Same for the Elk Meadows loop -- higher elevation really hurts the flatlanders. I 2nd Baconman -- Flying J or BCLP....
    Flying J is short but fun. You can do multiple loops though. It's some fun weaving in and out of the trees, but I don't remember it being that scenic though. Personally the ones I'd recommend (and are closer to Denver) are Bear Creek Lake and Marshall Mesa. Bear Creek Lake has pretty much no technical and it's all smooth dirt. Bonus is you get a great view of downtown Denver from the top of Mt. Carbon. Marshall Mesa has some nice scenic views as well for not being in the mountains. There's some great site lines of large plains with the mountains as a backdrop. It also has a few rocky sections that feel more like actual mountain biking, but nothing too challenging.

A good route on Marshall Mesa would be:
    Go out of the parking lot and take a left up Marshall Valley, then cut a right on to Community Ditch, ride the wide dirt trail west, take a left at the bridge and go past the stairs to Greenbelt Plateau, head South down to the parking lot, then cross 93 to Flatirons Vista South, take the loop through the trees, cut a left at the gate to head down the ravine on Doudy Draw, then go up either Spring Brook North or South and do the loop (I think I like up North/down South better but either way is good), come back down and ride Community Ditch back to 93, cross 93 and descend the other side of Marshall Valley back down to the parking lot. That's a nice easy loop with good mileage, without too much technical or huge climbs. It still has some fun descending sections though. I think it's a lot of fun for an easier ride. There's also several bail-out points and you're never all that far from your vehicle.

http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/image...doudydraw1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Astra2 View Post
    If you get a bit further north, Blue Sky Trail in Ft. Collins. It's a great trail for beginners and the more experienced. Just make sure you enter from Horsetooth Reservoir, as the other two access points are decidedly non-beginner.
    Soderberg traihead North to Nomad trail to Lory State Park and then East Valley out and West Valley back would be more appropriate for a beginner ride. Fun and scenic, rolling with smaller climbs. Perfect beginner ride and a favorite for my flatlander old man when he comes to visit from Ohio. It's about an hour-ish drive North from Denver though.
    Last edited by BaeckerX1; 07-14-2011 at 07:04 AM.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Flatirons Vista off Hwy 93 is pretty easy with great views of the Flatirons.

High Desert MTBer
    Thanks guys, I shall start looking at some of these...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yeah but... Flying J is about 15 degrees cooler than riding down in the flatlands (Marshall and Bear Creek). You could do some loops too at Aldefer/3 Sisters park out of Evergreen. There is some easier stuff to ride there too. If you want a view you can climb to the top of Evergreen mountain but that might be too much climbing.
    WTF