Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Universities with Masters Programs

I'm nearing the end of my bachelor's degree and I'm considering getting a masters degree. I would love to live in Colorado while pursuing my degree. I've searched the internet and found a few: U of Colorado, Adams State and Northern Colorado. I would rather not be in eastern Colorado because it seems like the Colorado I think of, isn't eastern Colorado (flat, non mountainess).

What other schools in Colorado offer a masters degree? The major isn't very important because most schools offer something related to health.

Also what input can you give on these Universities and Colleges about the general feeling about the school, relation to trails (obviously) and whatever else you think I would like to know?
    "Walkin around with my pants off. let yo imaginations flow"

mtbr member
    U C Boulder is pretty close to a number of really nice trails, dj spots, etc...

mtbr member
    Colorado State in Fort Collins.

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    Colorado Tech offers a few, if you don't mind accelerated programs.
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

mtbr member
    I think there's a biomedical engineering program at Mines...not 100% on this tho. I think it's mostly based in the Mechanical Engineering Dept. So, if you haven't had many engineering classes, this might not be a good route for your grad work, unless you really want to take Mines undergrad engineering classes (and not be able to ride because you're working your ass off on HW).
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Mines does have a bioengineering program. It is pretty new but very good.

mtbr member
    Bioengineering is a little out of my league, I'm looking more at Community Health, Kinesiology, Pedagogy of Sport for example

Colorado State is a posibility. Whats the atmosphere there like, size, population of the town ect.?

U C Boulder might be the leading candidate. How close are the trails and how effected is the university by Denver? Does it feel like a part of Denver? And whats the general feel about it?

mtbr member
    Education is also an option as far as a degree program

mtbr member
    University of Denver, University of Colorado Denver, University of Northern Colorado, and their is a University of Colorado in Aurora that is associated with the university hospital.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsaddict99
    Bioengineering is a little out of my league...
    Oh, don't sell yourself short. Just think, you might be able to get an internship w/ Honda's Cybernetics division
    They're working on AI to drive that little robot ASIMO, so it can run around on its own (full autonomous).
    Check it out!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

!Vamos, flaco!
    As someone with a post-college decree, I can tell you that going to get a master's degree, or any post-college decree, without specifying what you want to do with your degree afterwards is a waste of time and money.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

feel the Force
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    As someone with a post-college decree, I can tell you that going to get a master's degree, or any post-college decree, without specifying what you want to do with your degree afterwards is a waste of time and money.
    I was thinking the same thing. An advanced degree is NOT like a bachelor's, It does matter what you study. Going in to it haphazardly is not the best plan.
    A punctured bicycle
    on a hillside desolate,
    will nature make a man of me yet...
    -Morrissey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs

I had the feeling that it was just the degree that mattered, guess not. Thank you for the input, that really narrows down my choices. Also talked to department head and he echoed that advice. Now not only where I want to study at but specifically what I want to study and where I see myself in ten years... Back to square one

Any Universities with Masters in Coaching Psychology/ Education or Physical Education? Looks like Adams State is a possibility. Any others?

..ouch
    As some others have said.. take a step back and figure out what you're trying to accomplish. Is some fields an MS is required, in others it'll get you a 10% better starting salary at best.

If you want management.. get your BS, start working to build experience and then go back for an MBA.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    As some others have said.. take a step back and figure out what you're trying to accomplish. Is some fields an MS is required, in others it'll get you a 10% better starting salary at best.

If you want management.. get your BS, start working to build experience and then go back for an MBA.

I would rather not take a break between getting my bachelors and going for masters. Is it your opinion that a masters without experience between the degrees is not as useful?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I would rather not take a break between getting my bachelors and going for masters. Is it your opinion that a masters without experience between the degrees is not as useful?
    That's a lot of people's opinion. I just finished my grad degree from CU and 95% of my classmates had professional experience before returning to school- I'm pretty sure there was only one student that came straight from undergrad.

As for your previous question, I think Northern Colorado in Greeley has a Masters program in Phys Ed or sports-related degrees.

..ouch
    No.. that's just my recommendation for an MBA. For some other fields you'll want to finish all your formal education first. Like I said.. all depends on the career you're shooting for. Work it backwards from there.

The only fear I have for folks getting advanced degrees up front is that you can spend a lot of money on school and then find out once you get a job in that area that you don't like it. My brother finished his Ph.D in synthetic-organic chemistry from Oxford.. the decided he didn't like chemistry and went back for a law degree. He's now a chemical patent attorney, but he didn't finish school until 34.

percocet pioneer.
    you're really asking strangers on the internet to decide the course of your life?

getting your MS is a really big ****ing deal, you better take a step back and figure things out before you just start applying to a bunch of schools for a degree you don't know about..

not trying to be rude.

Thread Terrorist
    Guys, he doesn't get it. He's institutionalized! He stated "I'm just now finishing up my bachelors degree..." That means 1 of 2 things.... either he NEEDS his MS for the line of work he wants to be in (which it doesn't sound like he know's) or he's looking for a reason to go live in Colorado and ride bikes.

Dude, if you want to move to colorado, then do it! but if you don't know what you want for a MS degree, then go out and work for a while before you go back for it. The worst decisions for an MS degree are done towards the end of your bachelors degree (unless the profession warrants it, or you just can't get a job otherwise).

But here's my suggestion: Get a Masters of SingleTrack in Gunnison/ Crested Butte Colorado. Just go out and live and ride, work random jobs and enjoy it for a while!

Pick your masters after a few years of being a bike/ski bum.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Thread Terrorist
    Okay, your posts are seriously random. Did you learn anything getting your bachelors?

Sounds like you're getting a degree based on how close the trails are. WTF? Do you know how much Masters degrees cost? Or are you having it paid for?

here's a few questions:
    1. What do you want to do (career wise)
    2. What is your bachelors degree in?
    3. pick appropriate school to fill in the blank between 1 & 2.

But is sounds like to me, you don't give a crap about career, nor spending money on a degree, so, here's another set of questions:
    1. What type of riding would you rather do?
    2. Can you afford to live in colorado without going to school (financial aid, parents money)
    3. Pick appropriate location based on trails and jobs you can get
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    To the OP:
    This was/is the path I took/taking. I put in 17 years at Steamboat and skied and biked my ASS off! Damn good times!
    Then, after an endless stream of go-no-where jobs, serving under moron managers who barely have enough IQ to breath, I moved to Golden and finished out my BS. And even tho I thought I knew what I was really into, I still changed majors (from Comp Sci) during my BS stint and headed down a path I'd thought I'd never in my right mind would go (to electrical power engineering).
    The masters I'm going after is so I can compete w/ a much younger crew. Also, for what I want to pursue, a masters is required for an entry ticket (nuclear power generation).
    FYI, doing what I'm doing...it'll cost me close to 1/4 mill when it's all finally paid for. So thinking thru your path/goals might be...prudent. AND, my schooling is considered cheap for a BS and two MS'!
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

bacon! bacon! bacon!

Dude, if you want to move to colorado, then do it! but if you don't know what you want for a MS degree, then go out and work for a while before you go back for it.

But here's my suggestion: Get a Masters of SingleTrack in Gunnison/ Crested Butte Colorado. Just go out and live and ride, work random jobs and enjoy it for a while!

This man speaks the TRUTH.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y

This was/is the path I took/taking. I put in 17 years at Steamboat and skied and biked my ASS off! Damn good times!
    Great minds think alike...

mtbr member
    Okay, your posts are seriously random. Did you learn anything getting your bachelors?

Sounds like you're getting a degree based on how close the trails are. WTF? Do you know how much Masters degrees cost? Or are you having it paid for?

here's a few questions:
    1. What do you want to do (career wise)
    2. What is your bachelors degree in?
    3. pick appropriate school to fill in the blank between 1 & 2.

But is sounds like to me, you don't give a crap about career, nor spending money on a degree, so, here's another set of questions:
    1. What type of riding would you rather do?
    2. Can you afford to live in colorado without going to school (financial aid, parents money)
    3. Pick appropriate location based on trails and jobs you can get

1. Coach- collegiately
    2. Phys ed
    3. I can coach coming from any college. I just need my masters to be on a collegiate level

Most likely I will be a graduate assistant, so I won't have too much of a financial burden because I'll be on scholarship
    1. I prefer AM riding but not opposed to XC. Haven't had the opportunity to DH or DJ, I live in Oklahoma and haven't gotten the opportunity to ride places that offer DH or DJ, only travel with the basketball team when we play.
    2. Unfortunately I cannot afford to live in Colorado without going to school

mtbr member
    I finished a MS just because I wanted something positive to do with my time. I also rode my bike a lot and "wrote" every paper in my head while climbing. Whatever education path the OP choses, the gains will pay off in personal growth and that applies to any career. That's my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast